Sierra County Ducks

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

Sierra County Ducks

Postby sierraducks » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Long time reader, first time poster to the forum. Hoping you guys could give me a little advice.

Im going to try my luck along the river from north of Elephant Butte on down south of Caballo. Any advice on what should be in my spread and how its arranged? Im guessing Mallards and Widgeons, but Im still a rookie and would appreaciate any advice you had. Any other tips on how to hunt the river would be great as well! Appreciate the help
sierraducks
Newb

Re: Sierra County Ducks

Postby StevenL » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:11 pm

Data furnished by the Army Corps of Engineers indicates flow rate of 2.5 cubic feet per second below Elephant Butte for the past three days. Data for flow below Caballo shows NONE. Data for the Rio Grande below the San Marcial Floodway shows wild fluctuation the past 4 days between 400 and 800 cfs. Looks to me there's much more flow above EB.
StevenL
hunter

Postby PeterJarmo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:19 pm

I don't have any experience down there but I'd like to try at some point. One thing I have heard though is that there is some real nasty quick sand down there north of elephant butte so be extra careful wading around in there... I've heard first hand from some ol' timer hunters of close calls, they've pretty much told me to stay away unless i had some boat with a mud motor. (Otherwise you're going to have to push along with a stick like a Venice boat guide(from what i've heard)...
Don't mean to discourage you, just be careful of that quick sand, thats the worst part of the river in the state from what I understand....

Down past the butte and in the Caballo parts is probably different I'd imagine, although it all depends on the butte damn outflows etc... PM me how it goes, I may be down to head that ways for a trip...
PeterJarmo
hunter

Postby StevenL » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:07 pm

What he said :thumbsup: Don't go there alone. There is mud and muck to make horror stories real. It's not like the quicksand you see in Tarzan movies of old but it's close enough to the Mesozoic era to remind you of Jurassic Park. Use a walking stick to test the bottom before you step in anything that appears moist and especially if you are in the river.
StevenL
hunter

Postby Dirt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:00 am

Second that bring someone with you. If you have a dog look out for rattlers. Had to bury mine down there on a duck hunt. Seems like a lot of bad things happen in that area. Keep an eye out for David Parker Ray victims.
Dirt
hunter

Postby sierraducks » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks for the heads up! My plan is to be out there around Thanksgiving time. I'll be sure to ya know how it goes.
sierraducks
Newb

Postby 2birds1stone » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:23 pm

How did it go down there? You survived, right?

My dad has a cabin down on jetboat cove, and up in the rafters there are a bunch of old decoys, been there since about the 50s. Every time I go down there I think I ought to go try the duck hunting out, but I am not too familiar with the north end past (what used to be) the narrows any more.

There sure are a lot of quail out there too....
2birds1stone
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting