let's get this nm party started

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, quackadikt, ghostingrey

let's get this nm party started

Postby randy marci » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:16 pm

hi my name is randy, and i'm a duckaholic. no but really i just moved here from california and am looking forward to next season and figuring out what this great state has to offer. i am also looking for info from anyone that can tell me when the nm state duck calling contest is. i called in california at the state and regional level and want to do the same down here. if anyone on here wants to talk ducks, post up :salude:
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby ghostingrey » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:40 am

Hey Randy,
Welcome to New Mex. I think you'll find that this state has some fabulous hunting to offer, although it does involve a bit of travel to get anywhere. I'm not sure as to when the calling contest is, but I'll see if I can find out. Where are you living? The southern part of the state is probably the best duck hunting around but there is some good early season action up north. Even though it's a long wait till Sept. teal season Spring turkey season is only a month away/ I'll be starting scouting trips next weekend and I'll try to give regular reports. Welcome again, and best of luck in your hunting.
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Postby randy marci » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:07 am

thanks alot g.i.g. i live about 40 minutes south of you. i was up in santa fe on friday for the first time. nice enough place. i'm also looking to find out how to get a "key" for the river gates. i heard somewhere it was somewhere in belen. i am going down that way later this week so any info on this would also be appreciated. if your ever lookin to talk ducks, geese, or calls for both let me know.
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby ghostingrey » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:48 pm

Such a prompt response to a post on this forum! I'm truly impressed. Seriously, I'd really like to see more traffic on this board because there is very little info out there about duck hunting in new mex. I've seen good posts from everyone but it would be great just to have more posts. As for a key to the gates down in Belen you need to contact the Middle Rio Grande Conservancy District. Their phone # is in the Small Game regulation book which you can get at the New Mex Game and Fish Website. I have never hunted that area but from what I heard through the grapevine the Conservancy district charges $25 or so for the key and you need to buy a new one every year. Note a bad deal considering there is some quality hunting in that area. I guess your down the the ABQ area huh. If my job didn't keep me in Santa Fe that's probably where I'd be.
Conor
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Postby randy marci » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:59 pm

cool, thanks for the info. i'll check into it and post what i find out. i wish i could also find oher sites with more info, bu toh well. i'll just use my "boot leather express" and scout my azz off for the next 8 months. i'll find the birds, and when i do i'll put the hurt on 'em. until then keep in touch. i'm always willin to trade secrets, even if i don't have any yet :cool:
randy marci
State Moderator

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting