Shovelers

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, quackadikt, ghostingrey

Shovelers

Postby 2birds1stone » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:46 pm

I've heard lots of bad things about Shovelers, that they are trash, they taste horrible, etc..

I shot one today, and being determined to eat what I kill (as long as the bird was healthy) I took it home and cooked it up.
The wife and kid both thought it tasted just fine and we picked it clean.

Here's the recipe if anyone would like to give it a shot, I found it on another hunting site and modified it a little.

-ducks, breasted out
-salt
-black pepper
-crushed red chile
-minced garlic
-stock, chicken or beef (I used chicken, it's what I had but the original author recommended beef)
-basil leaves
-oregano
-half an onion, chopped

Breast out the ducks. Season them with salt, pepper, crushed chile, and minced garlic and put them in the fridge for a while.

Put the breasts in a crockpot with stock about half an inch over the meat set to low/medium and add the onion, a couple of oregano leaves, and a couple of basil leaves then let it cook for 3-1/2 hours. When it's done, cut the breast thin and use the stock as a dipping sauce.

I served it with wild rice, green peas cooked in the stock with some butter and sage, and a loaf of fresh bread. It was good!
2birds1stone
hunter

Re: Shovelers

Postby PeterJarmo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:32 pm

Sounds like a good recipe. I think if you crock pot anthing for 3.5hr+ with garlic etc you're going to make some 'gamey' meat taste pretty good... I think when a lot of ppl say certain ducks are 'inedible' they just assume on cooking like pan searing or grilling. I think you really get by on the gameyness by crockpotting them or mixing them in curry or chili etc...
I usually save mallards and pintails for some good recipes that embody the meat's flavor (pan searing/grilling) whereas the lesser tasting species i save for the curries, chliies, posoles, stews, etc...
I always say i'm going to wait for mallards or pintails to show up, but then i just end up shooting any (legal) duck that comes close :)
PeterJarmo
hunter

Postby Gamecock16 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:46 pm

Crock pot, bacon, duck and BBQ sauce is always a winner. I like the recipe though. Have some diver meat in the freezer I might try it with.

Women and ducks... I have never been that picky :grooving:
Gamecock16
hunter

Postby Tiburon5 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:31 am

Note: this is for the pacific flyway I have no clue if it is the case hear as well...

People don’t eat shoveler not because they don’t taste good. They don’t eat them because they are toxic. They are literally inedible. They (along with cinnamon teal and common golden eye) are filled with all sorts of mercury. Last time I checked with the fish and game they said you don’t even have to proses them (It is normally the law to take what you can from bagged game). Although they still count as part of your limit, you don’t even have to bring them out of the marsh (that is strait from an office full of the guys that write the tickets).
Salad... it's what food eats.
Tiburon5
hunter

Postby Hunt-R-Fish » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:13 am

Since we are sharing recipes i figured i would throw in my favorite. It is on a ton of websites so I would not be suprised if you all have tried it already.

Glass baking pan. Cover the bottom of the pan with sliced potatoes (similar to a potato chip cut).
Then lay in duck breasts.
Fill pan with orange juice about a 1/4inch below the top of the duck breast.
Cover the exposed part of the duck breast with brown sugar.
Cook in oven at 325 for about 35-45 min.

For a side i usually choose beer.
Good Luck!
Hunt-R-Fish
Newb

Postby randy marci » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:08 pm

Tiburon5 wrote:Note: this is for the pacific flyway I have no clue if it is the case hear as well...

People don’t eat shoveler not because they don’t taste good. They don’t eat them because they are toxic. They are literally inedible. They (along with cinnamon teal and common golden eye) are filled with all sorts of mercury. Last time I checked with the fish and game they said you don’t even have to proses them (It is normally the law to take what you can from bagged game). Although they still count as part of your limit, you don’t even have to bring them out of the marsh (that is strait from an office full of the guys that write the tickets).

Holy Crap! where do people come up with this stuff. That is one of the most misleading posts on here I have ever read. And there have been some good ones till now. I don't care who told you this, it is absolutely false information whether you are in the pacific flyway or any other flyway for that matter.
this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby Humblebeginnings » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:16 pm

Tiburon5 wrote:Note: this is for the pacific flyway I have no clue if it is the case hear as well...

Completly false information I dunno who told you that but they dont know what they are talking about I have eaten alot of shovelors and never had a problem neither have any of my buddys who eat them.
Humblebeginnings
hunter

Postby 2birds1stone » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:39 pm

That post actually made me worry, so I did a little research.

Apparently, there are places in Utah, Idaho, and Nevada where they have found high levels of Mercury, DDT, PCBs, etc in some duck species. Utah actually put out an advisory :huh:
http://waterfowladvisories.utah.gov/

I couldn't find anything on New Mexico, but there was a study done down by Nogales, AZ about 5 years ago. I think their water is pretty dirty down there compared to ours, and the ducks they studies were taken from wastewater teatment ponds to boot. Of course, we can't know where a duck has been feeding other than where we take it.
http://www.fws.gov/southwest/es/arizona ... aterAZ.pdf
2birds1stone
hunter

Postby randy marci » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:54 pm

2birds1stone wrote:That post actually made me worry, so I did a little research.

Apparently, there are places in Utah, Idaho, and Nevada where they have found high levels of Mercury, DDT, PCBs, etc in some duck species. Utah actually put out an advisory :huh:
http://waterfowladvisories.utah.gov/

I couldn't find anything on New Mexico, but there was a study done down by Nogales, AZ about 5 years ago. I think their water is pretty dirty down there compared to ours, and the ducks they studies were taken from wastewater teatment ponds to boot. Of course, we can't know where a duck has been feeding other than where we take it.
http://www.fws.gov/southwest/es/arizona ... aterAZ.pdf

my problem isn't with the high levels of mercury in some birds, it's when someone says that you have to count a duck against your limit, but don't even have to take it out of the field or process it in any way. if a warden see's you doing something like that, you will be getting a ticket. it's called wanton waste and highly frowned upon. as far as the toxicity levels of some ducks over others, i am used to that. we had a refuge in California that had warning signs all over it about dangerous levels of Selenium when i was a kid. It flat out told you that if you were a small child or pregnant woman you shouldn't eat the ducks from there.
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby 2birds1stone » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:52 pm

randy marci wrote:my problem isn't with the high levels of mercury in some birds, it's when someone says that you have to count a duck against your limit, but don't even have to take it out of the field or process it in any way. if a warden see's you doing something like that, you will be getting a ticket. it's called wanton waste and highly frowned upon. as far as the toxicity levels of some ducks over others, i am used to that. we had a refuge in California that had warning signs all over it about dangerous levels of Selenium when i was a kid. It flat out told you that if you were a small child or pregnant woman you shouldn't eat the ducks from there.

As for leaving animals in the field, yes, I agree that is total BS, but I've found more than one duck left on the ground. :mad: I personally don't shoot what I'm not going to eat (with the exception of a wild hog, if I come across one). I really don't find any pleasure in killing something just to kill it. I don't shoot to fill a bag, just our bellies at the dinner table.

I'm still rather new to duck hunting, and the toxicity warnings are news to me. Most everything I've learned up to this point has been word-of-mouth and nobody has mentioned it to me before. I knew about the fish, probably should have figured on the waterfowl...
Maybe I should plan to hold my fire on the cinnamon teals and shovelers. I don't want to expose my family to mercury, PCBs, DDT, or anything like that in the food I'm bringing home.
2birds1stone
hunter

Postby Tiburon5 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:02 pm

You guessed it I am originally form Utah.

People morally don’t like to leave animals behind (myself included I eat everything I kill), that is why people try not to shoot them. I personally have only shot one shoveler because of the toxins and we ate it anyway. As far as the fish and game sees it... it is better for it to be left for a fox or something, than for it to be completely wasted and through away.

@ randy marci
My post was not misleading it was vary factual and confirmed by some one else. I would appreciate it if you did not ignorantly insult me like that. Next time please do some homework before you call someone out on something. I don’t mind being called out when I deserve it, but you have wrongly done so this time.
Tiburon5
hunter

Postby KHerbst » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:48 pm

Tib-

I dont think Randy was calling YOU out! He was calling BS on the information you shared on not taking those species of fowl out of the field. Everything you shoot- you must attempt to retrieve to bag and remove from the field. Once you get it home you can do whatever...............or so some have interpretted the law. I have however had US FW guys try to give us crap for just breasting birds out when we got home..note not while in transport but when they were at my place of residence. While in transport you must leave a wing or head attached to all birds. Anyway, I argued the point with US FW and asked them to prove the wanton waste case on breasted birds, that is a slippery slope there.

In many cases it is about how much of a jerk your CO wants to be! If a CO told you to leave those birds in the field they were/are idiots!

KLH
KHerbst
hunter

Postby randy marci » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:01 pm

Tiburon5 wrote:
@ randy marci
My post was not misleading it was vary factual and confirmed by some one else. I would appreciate it if you did not ignorantly insult me like that. Next time please do some homework before you call someone out on something. I don’t mind being called out when I deserve it, but you have wrongly done so this time.

did you not even read what i wrote? i have seen you do nothing but brag about how good of a student you are, yet you prove here that while you may be book smart, you have zero common sense. i don't care who you think told you that you can leave birds in the field or not use the meat from them. if you believe that, you are just as big a moron as the people that told you that.

randy marci wrote:
my problem isn't with the high levels of mercury in some birds, it's when someone says that you have to count a duck against your limit, but don't even have to take it out of the field or process it in any way. if a warden see's you doing something like that, you will be getting a ticket. it's called wanton waste and highly frowned upon. as far as the toxicity levels of some ducks over others, i am used to that. we had a refuge in California that had warning signs all over it about dangerous levels of Selenium when i was a kid. It flat out told you that if you were a small child or pregnant woman you shouldn't eat the ducks from there.

at least someone gets it.

KHerbst wrote:Tib-

I dont think Randy was calling YOU out! He was calling BS on the information you shared on not taking those species of fowl out of the field. Everything you shoot- you must attempt to retrieve to bag and remove from the field. Once you get it home you can do whatever...............or so some have interpretted the law. I have however had US FW guys try to give us crap for just breasting birds out when we got home..note not while in transport but when they were at my place of residence. While in transport you must leave a wing or head attached to all birds. Anyway, I argued the point with US FW and asked them to prove the wanton waste case on breasted birds, that is a slippery slope there.

In many cases it is about how much of a jerk your CO wants to be! If a CO told you to leave those birds in the field they were/are idiots!

KLH
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby Medis » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:31 pm

Hey Tib,

Its all good man, maybe just some misleading, or possibly misunderstood information. It happens to everyone, i don't think you would have posted this just to mislead anyone. Not that you could have possibly mislead anyone using this board, as they have clearly pointed out to you, by telling you that only a moron would believe that information.
Medis
hunter

Postby Tiburon5 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:49 am

I need to work on tone of voice in my writing to be clear I am not upset or offended, just a nice level debating tone.

I completely understand the laws about leaving game behind. I have Never been guilty of braking that law. Everyone in UT understands it. BUT it is a different cutler with a different situation. But before I start I would like to give a little back story.

My first duck hunt I went on when I was 3 years old. I have spent countless hours in the marsh every year since then until just today. Every single time the topic of “merc Ducks” come up with the fish and game the same thing happens. They say something like this… “You are NOT legally obligated to eat ANY merc duck you shoot. The state would like you to take them and eat them but it would be better to leave them in the marsh than to take them home and throw them away”. That comes not from 1 or 2 officers or even an office full of officers but every single one we have ever talked to about it. The bottom line is it is illegal BUT unless you really pissed off the officer they won’t fine you for it. (getting to why in a min.)

The next thing is… no one hunts any of the merc ducks. They are the first things I learned to recognize on the wing. That is the same for 97%+ of the hunters (there are bad hunters no matter where you go an example would be that Gela monster guy). It is a problem that people don’t have to deal with often enough that people worry about throwing them away (meaning they eat them). Not shooting them gets hard wired into most of us. Even down hear where it is safe to eat them I don’t even acknowledge them. This thread brought to my attention of how many there are down here (at least where we were this weekend) my point is I hardly even recognize them as legal game anymore.

Now that that is clear… the point of why leaving them is seen as better then throwing them away. In a hypothetical situation let’s say you went out on an average hunt not expecting anything special to happen that day. You get all set up and opening comes around, and in the early hour of the hunt you see the ducks out of the corner of your eye. They come closer and when you 80% sure of what they are you stand up and shoot a double. You retrieve your birds to find they are merc ducks. Knowing you are not going to intestinally poison yourself, you have one of two things to do………….

1. you take the bird home clean it and put the breasts in your freezer, and throw the body in the trash. Several months later you dig through it and find that the forgotten duck is ruined from freezer burn and throw the meat away. At that point in time the whole bird has found its way to the local dump to rot away serving no beneficial purpose to any one or thing. The bird was 100% wasted, and you did the disrespect of having it be buried in the same place you throw a used child’s diaper. Giving the bird the same value as literal crap.

2. you leave the bird in the marsh, as though it had died of natural cases. Then it can still be used by the marsh. Whether it is food for a hungry fox, hock, or some other animal. Or if it decomposes becoming nutrients for the plants next year, or anything between the two. It does not matter the bird was at least used for something instead of being wasted in the dump. If nothing else you show the bird the respect of burring it where it belongs instead of treating it like trash.

Which do you honestly think is better? Total lack of respect and completely wasting the life of the bird, or if nothing else giving it the last respect of letting it be where the duck belongs. In my opinion someone who takes home a bird just to waist and throw it in the trash is sicker and more twisted than someone who leaves any animal in the field will ever be (that even includes problem animals like feral hogs btw)

We know what the laws are and we are not idiots. It is simply the way a lot of hunters look at the situation.

Before any of you really potencies people post about miss identifying the bird, it is why it is so rare of a problem. Mistakes are made every once in a while even the best do make them.

I am an open minded person and my opinion is welcome to change, So tell me why any of you think that the dump is a better last resting place for the merc ducks over their home. Give one good sold reason why the dump is better.
Tiburon5
hunter

Postby Tiburon5 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:26 am

i know your point is that it is bs to leave a bird in the fild, and normaly i could not agree with you more. but in merc ducks case my point is the marsh is better than the dump.
Tiburon5
hunter

Postby cyber_scouter » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:11 am

Tiburon5 wrote:just a nice level debating tone

First, I don't think calling someone ignorant is a nice level debating tone.

Second, in response to your last post that was 2 pages long.................... :fingerhead:
Utilize Technology---Scout from your computer desk.
cyber_scouter
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:29 am

Tiburon5 wrote:1. you take the bird home clean it and put the breasts in your freezer, and throw the body in the trash. Several months later you dig through it and find that the forgotten duck is ruined from freezer burn and throw the meat away. At that point in time the whole bird has found its way to the local dump to rot away serving no beneficial purpose to any one or thing. The bird was 100% wasted, and you did the disrespect of having it be buried in the same place you throw a used child’s diaper. Giving the bird the same value as literal crap.

Calm down, Sir Freak Alot. :smile:

Put your duck in a ZipLock bag and fill it with water. Put in the freezer and it will be good forever. Keep the air off of it and it won't freezer burn!! Gosh I love this state!! I just hop in my Subaru Forester and take pics of the Snows @ BDA.
duckahlr
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:58 am

duckahlr wrote:Gosh I love this state!! I just hop in my Subaru Forester and take pics of the Snows @ BDA.

hey man dont knock BDA or bird photography, shooting waterfowl with a Canon DSLR with a 400mm f/5.6 lens attached is a good time...

please feel free, however, to knock subaru foresters, and the hippie drivers and passengers in them.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby Tiburon5 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:35 pm

Calm down, Sir Freak Alot. :smile:

Put your duck in a ZipLock bag and fill it with water. Put in the freezer and it will be good forever. Keep the air off of it and it won't freezer burn!!

that works for about 1 and 1/2 year to 2 years.... i know someone that has had a goldeneye in his freezer for 10 seasons and counting
Tiburon5
hunter

Postby Tiburon5 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:40 pm

cyber_scouter wrote:
Tiburon5 wrote:just a nice level debating tone

First, I don't think calling someone ignorant is a nice level debating tone.

Second, in response to your last post that was 2 pages long.................... :fingerhead:

it was one.... and i said it needed work did i not???
Tiburon5
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:53 am

BW...I actually do drive a Subaru Forester and my wife a Toyota Prius. We are all in for this Green Initiative. I don't have a fancy camera like that...I still shoot the old school 35MM. Works for me!!
duckahlr
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:06 pm

duckahlr wrote:BW...I actually do drive a Subaru Forester and my wife a Toyota Prius. We are all in for this Green Initiative. I don't have a fancy camera like that...I still shoot the old school 35MM. Works for me!!

:oops: sorry, i've met you, and you're no hippie. even if you do own a subaru. we're semi-Green, my wife has a corolla that gets 40+ mpg... and she/we love us some BDA. i tried to post pics but the files are too big, even after cropping/editing. i rent the high end lenses for now, plan to purchase after trying more and saving more $$.

wasnt this thread originally about shovelers!?? if anybody knows a good spot to shoot some, but is not comfortable giving up their spoonbill honey hole, you can just send PM.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:14 pm

Just kiddin bro, I own 3 gas guzzlin Fords.

I went down to BDA on Sunday, all I saw were shovs and snows.........
duckahlr
hunter

Postby StevenL » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:29 pm

I think Drake Spoonbills are as handsome if not more so than Drake Wood Ducks. A little bigger too.
StevenL
hunter

Next

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting