Benardo Goose Hunt

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, quackadikt, ghostingrey

Benardo Goose Hunt

Postby nmhntr » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:36 am

First time posting to this forum ---

My brother-in-law and I drew a goose hunt on Benardo in January and we have no clue how many decoys each person is expected to bring assuming that people share the blinds. The letter that we got in the mail said that it is a 1/4" walk to the blind and that a van will drop you off at a parking lot. Can someone shed some light onto this hunt? We are NOT big goose hunters (actually don't even own decoys...??) so any insight into this hunt will be awesome! I'm also trying to figure out if I need to get a few snow decoys for christmas for this hunt.
nmhntr
hunter

Re: Benardo Goose Hunt

Postby Escopeton » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:49 pm

Hey nmhtr,

I have done the snow goose hunt a few times in the past and had very good days and some days that were...so, so at best. Since it is your brother and you, luck may be on your side. Most of the times you share a blind with a person that was also picked for that particular blind. Sometimes you luck out and get drawn with some good individuals; neophyte hunters that want to learn, experienced guys that have decoys and that can use a snow goose call. Every now and then you get a major loser: I got drawn to a blind with three other guys - two of them were son in law and father in law, the other was what turned out to be a real number. He at least had about a hundred new TX rags but his camos (head to foot) were brand new. Since I was the only one with experience in snow goose I was asked about calling. I told them for now, just to say a throaty Haa into the call. The related two asked if they didn't call would it matter; I said that bad calling was worse than no calling. Then, Camo Boy chimes in with, "the back of the package of my call said to say "GGGRRAAAA" into it. I told him to listen to the birds above and mimic that; "No, I am going to say "ggrraaa". With my rags and with my silos we had close to two hundred decoys out there. The birds would start to coming in but brains at the other side of the blind started doing the gggrraa very loud and a least several to a dozen times. This went on more than a couple of flocks of snows. Finally, I said that the birds weren't very vocal so better not call but by that time it the birds really stopped paying attention to us and surrounding blinds. However, the coup de grace was when this jerk stood up and peep in the blind. The blind has a concrete floor the the stream of pee started to run down to us three. The guy next to him started to build a dirt dam with his boot between him and the pee master. Us other two were pushing up dirt with our feet to help him. When the manager came by to check on us at around 10:00 and see if we wanted a ride to our vehicles the three of us said yes.

Having said that; bring some decoys - TX rags are available and work fairly well. You can get shells but it is a little more expensize. Bring camo material; the blinds are boxes placed over concrete ditches and you need to cover them. Have fun and good luck.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:52 pm

Here is a photo of a white goose hunt on Bosque. This time I got paired up with a great young man starting out in hunting and the former manager of the bosque. This is Tizona with a couple of Ross Geese.

Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby StevenL » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:39 pm

Very good post Escopeton!
StevenL
hunter

Postby civillobo » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:28 am

Funny Story, Thanks Esco. I have always wondered about getting hooked up with some lame honkers for this hunt. I have never tried it but it sounds like alot of fun, good luck nmhntr let us know how it turns out.
civillobo
Newb

Postby bandgitter91 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:19 pm

I have hunted this hunt many times. I would bring as many decoys as you can since snow's preffer numbers it will help to bring them down. Depending on when your hunt is this is important because people will have already shot at them on the other side of the street due to the hunting ponds being opened on the south side of 60. Yes, you will share a blind, but most people don't have many decoys. we usually set out about 200 dekes or so usually rags or sillohuets that we made. Now what they will do is allow you to drive to the blind you drew so that you can put out your gear, leaving one person to take the truck back to the parking lot, then G/F will go pick up that one person and drop them off back at your blind.
bandgitter91
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting