wind

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

wind

Postby FastPine » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:06 am

What is your experience hunting in high wind?...
Blasting holes in the night till she bled sunshine..
FastPine
hunter

Re: wind

Postby Tiburon5 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:36 am

:welcome: back

the ducks fly realy hard into it and when you stand to shoot they turn with the wind and are gone in under a second. i dont like hunting it the wind because it blows your shot who knows where. i like to calculate where my shot will go before i pull the trigger and wind speed is a varibull i dont like to deel with.
Salad... it's what food eats.
Tiburon5
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:14 pm

Hunt the timber. I have a pic from this morning around here somewhere.
duckahlr
hunter

Postby Gamecock16 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:35 pm

I agree about the timber. Some of the best shore hunting on the lakes in Southern Colorado is when the wind picks up and starts white capping the open water. It sends the birds into the little coves and hidden pockets of water. Even on the river they will try and take refuge in places blocked from the wind.

I have found that In New Mexico the birds tend to settle down in the wind rather than fly. I hunted this past Saturday and planned on leaving around 11 but the wind picked up and some clouds rolled in so I thought it might get them flying again. I managed to get one more for the extra 2 hours of effort. Besides the one single, I did not see much fly after the wind picked up.

Wish I could be going out in the morning.... :sad: :mad:
Gamecock16
hunter

Postby Tiburon5 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:04 pm

had a snow day at school today wish would have known that was going to happon last night so i could have planed on going. when you get up at 6 and hear the message it is too late to go :crying: .
Salad... it's what food eats.
Tiburon5
hunter

Postby cmm » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:29 pm

dont worry, you didnt miss out on much. It was Im guessing still too windy, I too thought it would have been a great day but didn't see very many birds at all this morning
cmm
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting