Theft

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Theft

Postby StevenL » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:27 pm

On Thursday morning last week, sometime between the hours of 1:30 and 6:30 am, my 1987 Toyota 4Runner was taken from my driveway. My eldest son, returning from work at the earlier hour, saw it parked in the driveway as usual. When I stepped outside that morning, prepared for my commute to work in the south valley, my little truck was gone.
License #628PKK : as if that's going to do any good or be of any help.
There was a modicum of hunting and fishing gear inside, including my MRGCD gate key and prescription glasses, an Avery camo decoy bag and a half-dozen Mallard decoys, a robo duck with a dead battery, a Coleman 48-quart ice chest full of dehydrated food and water and emergency supplies, emergency tools, flashlights and batteries, wool blankets, a heavy Carhart parka, my favorite boonie hats, polarized sunglasses etc., etc., etc.
I'm betting no one here has seen the vehicle or any of its contents, but I would like to apologize for a somewhat cynical attitude in one of my previous posts in the Whooping Crane thread. I was in anything but a good mood at the time but have since then cooled my jets.
That old truck of mine was in ultra-fine shape with a brand new engine and an additional 10K worth of new stuff put on it after purchase in late 2007 and completion of work in June, 2008. The above photo doesn't do justice to the most recent appearance of the truck but the colors and the model shape are the same. I figure it's in Mexico by now, but if not, the cops will probably find its stripped, charred and shot-to-hell carcas somewhere on the outskirts of town.
Thanks for being here to let me vent.
StevenL
hunter

Re: Theft

Postby Gabe1Davis » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:00 pm

Im clear in the northern part of the state, so I wont see it. I hate thieves so much, hearing about this kind of stuff is enough to put anyone in a bad mood.

at least you didnt leave your gun in there though.
professional redneck.
Gabe1Davis
hunter

Postby vlb » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:18 pm

Your probalby right about it being parted out. Why wasn't it in the garage?
vlb
hunter

Postby bandgitter91 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:37 pm

ill keep my eyes peeled out for it in case i see as im in los lunas and we find alot of stolen cars out here on the mesa, or i look down at bernardo and la joya maybe this person is actually stupid enough to take it out hunting after stealing it :thumbsup:
bandgitter91
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:02 pm

Why wasn't it in the garage???
Because I own the phking driveway! GDamn Phking thieves!
You should buy yourself and Escalade and then get a tree stand a plink these guys in the ear when they try to take that!
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:53 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
Why wasn't it in the garage???

Because I own the phking driveway!

exactly
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby vlb » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:59 pm

Slack Tide

I don't know where you got the idea I am rich? I asked StevenL why he had it outside instead of inside locked up. I owned a Harley for twelve years and it was never left outside. Some things that can't be replaced deserve extra care. I wasn't making fun of StevenL, just asked him a question. I was born in 1944 and lived in the south valley for over twenty years, so I know the area.I don't knowif this site is a youngster friendly site or not, but if your going to cuss, cuss. Don't be namby pandering around!
vlb
hunter

Postby StevenL » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:37 pm

Please calm down fellers! Vlb was asking a question and I was not insulted. I do feel like a dumb ass though, because he was right that the truck would have been safer in the garage than in the driveway. My motorcycles, a Harley and a Suzuki, are in there safe and sound but there was plenty of room for the truck if I would have rearranged things just a tad.
But the last thing I want is a major blowup between friends over something I posted as a means of getting it off my chest.
I’ve done some research on older vehicles like mine and have discovered that they are very susceptible to theft by use of a screwdriver to punch out the door lock first and then use it to force the ignition lock. Brand new they weren’t so easy, but the ignition lock on mine was so worn that I could start it with my key and then remove the key and shut it off. There’s also the deal that only a couple hundred key combinations existed, if that many entirely, and in older locks most any Toyota key from that era would work today.
What really starts me wondering is why anyone Jones’n for a joy ride, wants a stereo, a set of tires, or aluminum wheel rims, only wants to vandalize, etc., would risk a felony in stealing the entire vehicle when just taking what they want or doing it on the spot is a misdemeanor. Or maybe the perpetrator(s) in this instance were wannabe gang-bangers out to make their bones for approval from the big boys. But whatever their motive(s) may have been, I certainly don’t want to do jail time for having performed my civil duty in any event where shooting an offender was actually a favor to society. Righteously so, there ought to be open seasons with no bag limits and no restrictions on methods employed for taking criminals wherever and whenever they can be caught in the act. But even law enforcement can’t do that because society frowns upon things like summary disposition, pacification by force, prejudicial treatment, ya-da, ya-da, ya-da. Go figure: Society wants somebody to pay for whatever. A criminal caught, even more than once, rarely pays a dime because society picks up the tab for a public defender ahead of possible incarceration and hopeful rehabilitation in a place with more amenities than law-abiding residents of a retirement community are required to pay for with their own money.
I can’t think of a whole bunch of things that would please me more than sending any thief (anytime, anywhere, any reasonable cause) packing with a load or 3 of heavy-shot in his backside, or maybe a couple warning shots in the face with a 45 while seated behind the steering wheel of my car. In such a case however, society is going to make me pay dearly, especially if I do it real ugly. If not, the low-life I hurt is going to sue me, and if the low-life dies the extended family is going to sue me. Laws are made to keep the law-abiding in line and as they will be. But penalties for property crimes are not nearly severe enough, or else the crimes would not be happening so frequently.
StevenL
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:46 am

Ok, let me try this again because my intentions were lost in the translation of the internet:

Wow, that REALLY sucks for you, I was suggesting (in jest) that you buy a very enticing truck for thieves (Escalade) and then (here's another joke, you ready?) set up a tree stand to pop them as they surely will return to steal that one.
As for being stupid, I don't think so, I was expressing my frustration at having to put your car in the garage to protect it from thieves, you can't even expect your own driveway to be safe anymore?? Awful....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting