Drake buffle

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, quackadikt, ghostingrey

Drake buffle

Postby Gamecock16 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:25 pm

Saw my first ever Drake buffle in NM the other day. I normally put out a few buffle decoys outside my spread for some extra visability. A pair came in and I was fortunate enough to drop the drake. I used to watch hundreds of these every time I hunted back in Colorado but they would stay way out in the open water. Anybody ever bag any of these bird here in Nm.
Gamecock16
hunter

Re: Drake buffle

Postby civillobo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:01 pm

Nice post. I was with a guy in the late 1990's and he killed one at La Joya. Cool looking duck from what I remember, but do not have a photo. Did you take a picture on the one you shot? I would like to see it.
civillobo
Newb

Postby duckahlr » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:56 pm

You can find them down South on the low flows late in the year when it's REALLY cold. Now that's it's 60....not so much.
duckahlr
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:21 pm

We shot probably 10 or so this year, I have one of then at the taxidermist right now

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby troutbum43 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:45 pm

They really have some truly amazing plumage and iridescence on the full plumage drakes, you have to turn them around in the light over and over to take it all in. A good taxidermist can really bring our the purple and brown in the black parts of the head. Congrats!
Conserve, promote, protect and enhance...then harvest!
troutbum43
hunter

Postby Gamecock16 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:22 pm

I got my phone wet a few hunts ago so I didn't take a picture. It was a pretty small one though. I saw way to many merganzas that morning. Flocks of twenty all morning, I wish they were something a little better. The colors are beautiful when in the sun. I'm going out tomorrow so maybe I can get another one. I got some full body mallards for x mas and want to give them a try. Safe hunting yall
Gamecock16
hunter

Re: Re: Drake buffle

Postby ajmorell » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Gamecock16 wrote:I got my phone wet a few hunts ago so I didn't take a picture. It was a pretty small one though. I saw way to many merganzas that morning. Flocks of twenty all morning, I wish they were something a little better. The colors are beautiful when in the sun. I'm going out tomorrow so maybe I can get another one. I got some full body mallards for x mas and want to give them a try. Safe hunting yall

Bufflehead are very small, probably on average the size of a green wing or blue wing

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby StevenL » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:04 pm

Gamecock16 wrote:Saw my first ever Drake buffle in NM the other day. I normally put out a few buffle decoys outside my spread for some extra visability. A pair came in and I was fortunate enough to drop the drake. I used to watch hundreds of these every time I hunted back in Colorado but they would stay way out in the open water. Anybody ever bag any of these bird here in Nm.

Yes, Sir. My first time out for waterfowl was on a lake at the Roswell Country club in 1969 on a Monday when the club and the golf course were closed. My father was a member and I had a job in the restaurant as a busboy. I asked the club manager for permission, he got confirmation from the board of directors. Back then the points system was in effect, duck stamps were a whopping $2 and the federal mandate of steel shot was but a thought. I went out there with a friend just before daybreak and we stood on a boat dock breathlessly in awe of all the ducks on the water. Buffle Heads were worth about 5 points each but hen mallards and either sex canvas backs were around 80 when the aggregate total was something like 120. Our first volley of three shots each when the entire hoard took flight in concerted panic after realizing our presence netted near limits for both of us. We got into one of the aluminum Jon boats at the dock and rowed our way onto the lake picking up the bag. Holy Crap! I've never seen anything like it since. There were plenty of Buffle Heads still buzzing about at low altitude a few inches above the water surface while we were out there retrieving our kills. My buddy was far more educated in duck identification than I so we targeted the pretty one's with our shots. Ducks were so thick is the only reason we got our limits in the first few shots. We took them back to his house for possession and went back to the lake again. But this time all the ducks on the lake lit out like their heads were on fire and their asses were catching as soon as they saw the white 1964 Plymouth Valiant station wagon stop at the boat dock.
StevenL
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting