are the birds here?

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

are the birds here?

Postby fowlplay56 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:39 pm

I have permission to hunt private property in Socorro but wondered if its worth the drive. Its about 5 hours for me. What do you guys think. Im killing birds where im at just wondered.
Thanks
fowlplay56
hunter

Re: are the birds here?

Postby randy marci » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:48 pm

stay where you are.
this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby ufducks7 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:08 pm

randy marci wrote:stay where you are.
agreed
DD
ufducks7
hunter

Postby fowlplay56 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:54 am

Has it been a weird year down there too? I have seen alot of birds but not any noticable wow there here type days. What is a good time to hunt down there? We normally shoot the most between thanksgiving and christmas but this year Ive noticed a huge increase in hunting pressure and very skittish birds. Lots of skyblasters and roost shooters have ruined a pretty good thing.
fowlplay56
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:23 am

fowlplay56 wrote:Has it been a weird year down there too? I have seen alot of birds but not any noticable wow there here type days. What is a good time to hunt down there? We normally shoot the most between thanksgiving and christmas but this year Ive noticed a huge increase in hunting pressure and very skittish birds. Lots of skyblasters and roost shooters have ruined a pretty good thing.

It's varied a lot from week to week for me. I assume it was similar further south. There was a couple weeks in December where it was unusual not to leave with 8-10 ducks between a couple guys. I think out of the 100 or so ducks we killed this year half of them or a little more were killed in December. Those couple of cold spells we had really pushed birds in, but they didn't stick around all that long.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby bandgitter91 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:04 pm

Stay where u are at the birds this year have bben extremely weird. One day four guys will limit the next week or two you might get one amongst a group, and yes they have been skittish due to the weekend warrior skyblasters.
bandgitter91
hunter

Postby 2birds1stone » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:04 am

I think it's the weather mostly. We went to Colorado two weeks ago and it was packed with geese and ducks. Just not cold enough there to push them out and too cold here for them to stop for any amount of time. There are still birds down here - but you've got to look in the right places. If you are getting them where you are, keep doing what you have been doing. If not, you should do some looking around.
Or don't, and then just blame the other (obviously less skilled) hunters for your less-than-successful hunts.
2birds1stone
hunter

Postby fowlplay56 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:23 pm

Got a quick 6 today and sat and waited for a mature drake spoonie ive been seein around. Some new birds for sure today i tripled on a flock of teal and they came back again. Also widgeon that dropped right in. Passed on lots of ringnecks and goldeneyes. Get ready down there i think this storm in the northwest is pushing those birds! :thumbsup:
fowlplay56
hunter

Postby Gamecock16 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:20 pm

All I have seen since I've been back to school is spoonies. More mergenzas than real ducks. Only have seen a few teal and widgeon. I would love some ring necks and goldeneyes. Shot my first barrows goldeneye around the new year. Good job though
Gamecock16
hunter

Postby jayclarkie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:27 pm

fowlplay56 wrote:Got a quick 6 today and sat and waited for a mature drake spoonie ive been seein around. Some new birds for sure today i tripled on a flock of teal and they came back again. Also widgeon that dropped right in. Passed on lots of ringnecks and goldeneyes. Get ready down there i think this storm in the northwest is pushing those birds! :thumbsup:

Nice! Stories like that make me wish I could hunt during the week.
Sorry folks, park's closed...
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby FastPine » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Gamecock16 wrote:All I have seen since I've been back to school is spoonies. More mergenzas than real ducks. Only have seen a few teal and widgeon. I would love some ring necks and goldeneyes. Shot my first barrows goldeneye around the new year. Good job though

I too have been seeing loads of mergs. I just did two full days down near soccoro, it was slow forsure. Very slim morning flights

I'm kinda let down, this was supposed to be a great year due to the increased bird numbers. So far this has been my worst year to date, especially due to losing my dog. Now I'm forced to hunt specific spots that allow me to retrieve, and can only take shots over the decoys.

I have also noticed that there aren't many snows around..
Blasting holes in the night till she bled sunshine..
FastPine
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting