What should I hunt?

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: ghostingrey, randy marci, quackadikt

What should I hunt?

Postby Tiburon5 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:02 pm

Ducks or Javelina? Last weekend we got skunked for both, and neither looks like it is going to improve. It makes it hard to decide on what to do this weekend.
Salad... it's what food eats.
Tiburon5
hunter

Re: What should I hunt?

Postby StevenL » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:47 pm

You do know hunting Javelina requires a permit available only to recipients of a successful draw? If you don’t have a tag you better not go. If you do have a tag for this year you better use it. Same thing goes if you’re dreaming about next year.
StevenL
hunter

Postby cyber_scouter » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:48 pm

First off, you are asking a waterfowling forum what you should hunt. Second, you might as well hunt Javelina if you don't have a permit, you would just fit in with some of the others on here who have been doing some illegal stuff while hunting.
Utilize Technology---Scout from your computer desk.
cyber_scouter
hunter

Postby Tiburon5 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:00 am

I have a tag, and I plan on filling it. But, with the duck hunt winding down, and the Javelina season going on for 2 months it is debatable on which to choose.

The Javelina have temporally broken me anyway. We had a spot all scouted out. 2 weeks ago we were finding them every time we went out scouting in the spot, and all my research on them said they don’t move arias more than a few miles a year. So we figured instead of harassing them by going scouting twice a week( and to save gas), we would just go back opening day, find them and fill my tag. It was supposed to be an easy one day hunt. But opening day we went out, and there was 0 sine they had even ever been there. Or anywhere around there. I emailed some before and after photos to some biologist in AZ, and in short, he said he had no clue on what has cased their disappearance…… if any of you do I would appreciate the input.
Salad... it's what food eats.
Tiburon5
hunter

Postby CHEWYDUCK » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:19 pm

I take a boar over javelina any day. Got 2 this year, or last year I should say. One was almost 160 lbs. Nice thing about it is no permit and year long season. The pigs are on the move now and speading from ruidoso, capitan, to white oaks and now hightower has seen them in the Ancho area. If the game and fish doesn't get on this soon, we'er in big trouble. Especially the turkey hunters.
CHEWYDUCK
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting