happy 4th

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

happy 4th

Postby randy marci » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:35 pm

anyone still alive in new mexico? just wanted to stop in and say have a safe and happy 4th. thank a veteran.
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby ghostingrey » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:05 am

Still alive and kickin. I was out in Arizona this weekend where i finally managed to catch a monster trout on my fly rod. Didn't have a tape measure but I did get a picture. Probably 21" and 4 lbs. I'll post pics up later. Had to fly home on the 4th but made it back in time for burgers, beer, and fireworks. Ona side note, anyone apply for special permit goose hunts yet?
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Postby randy marci » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:16 am

is it time to apply yet.....? if so any help on how would be appreciated
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby ghostingrey » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:50 pm

I think it's probably still a bit early to apply. In order to apply you will need to contact the WMA's directly. I called them a couple months ago and they said they wouldn't even really think about the apps until August. I'll probably give them a call later this month to find out what's up. I'll be sure to post up with any info I find out. I was planning on applying for the Canada hunt at McAllister/Las Vegas WMA, the Pheasant hunt at Bernardo, and the sandhill crane hunt at Bosque del Apache. I think there is also a Special Light Goose Hunt at Bernardo. They're all in the Small Game regs but I don't think the 2006-2007 regs have been published yet.
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Postby randy marci » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:58 pm

thanks GIG i'll post up when i get the new proclamations at my store. the regs are to be set somewhere in the middle of this month. talk at ya soon.
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby Escopeton » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:03 pm

Hey all,

Obviously, I haven't been hunting. I have been doing my fly fishing.

I have put in for Las Vegas, Bernardo Snow, Bosque del Apache and have gotten drawn. I may do it again this year, too. Las Vegas I have good days and days where I just sat in the blind. Bernardo is hit and miss, last year I put in by myself and three other hunters. One of the hunters was a terrrible caller and wouldn't listen to advice about using a snow goose call - oh, well. That hunt ended real early. Bosque del Apache can be feast or famine depending on where you are put or who you are put with. Last year my hunting buddies were busy at UNM and couldn't put in so I had to do it solo. And, this year it looks like I have to put in by myself.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting