Teal Season 2012

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Teal Season 2012

Postby Dr. Quack » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:00 pm

Hey, do any of you MRGV hunters know if La Joya and Bernardo will be flooded in time for the Teal season opener? I could not get a live person to talk to on the phone at NMDGF, but a Sevilleta NWR employee wondered if there would be any flooding at all this year because of the severity of the drought... Now that would be a bummer.
Dr. Quack
hunter

Re: Teal Season 2012

Postby Brewmaster » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Today I hunted/walked around Bernardo, La Joya and Sevelita near the Rio Grand. No water in the ponds at all. Only water is in canals. The Rio Grand is really low. Saw teal flying up the canals at daybreak, then nothing after that. Found a few blue wings down on the river. The river is your best bet. Don't bother with the hunting areas. Good Luck. O, and I agree that there may not be enough water to flood the ponds this year since the river is really low. :sad:
Brewmaster
hunter

Postby ufducks7 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:09 pm

It's looking like there may be little or no water this year. Speaking as one they have even been trying to cut off the farmers water early all summer. The conservancy boards only focus lately seems to be Texas, Albuquerque, and the butte. :mad:
DD
ufducks7
hunter

Postby 357 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:56 pm

i've been to my usual Teal spots and haven't seen a bird, not any sort of bird. time for me to get a river key i guess and start hunting down south. Any one downed any birds?
hunter

Postby Fast Pine » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:06 pm

I shot nothing but blue wing's this season. I was lucky to get water to hunt over. I have concerns about water access for this season.
Fast Pine
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting