Duck Hunting Forum banner

Sandhill Crane Hunts

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  StevenL 
#1 ·
Could someone give me a "heads up" on how the Sandhill Crane hunts work? It sounds like most of the hunting is on private property in the MRGV, but I am not sure about the Estancia Valley hunts. Do you draw a tag and then try to find a landowner to give you access? If so, how do you go about it? Is there a list of people who want fewer Sandhills on their property somewhere? I am a life-long NM resident, hunting ducks and geese off and on for 50+ years, but have never tried going after the cranes. Thanks for your advice.... :beer:

#2 ·
In the MRGV most crane hunters that I've seen setup on the Levee roads and pass shoot and do very well. I do believe you must draw a permit however, same with the Estancia valley hunts.
Your Teal question, my advice would be scout because most on this site won't spill the beans. Good luck :thumbsup:

#4 ·
More likely to have water around December like last season, however in years past "mistakes" have been made which water has found its way into ponds on the WMA. With recent rain you may find water in a number of locations....Scout. Cooler weather has pushed many birds into the area, trust me. Go find them!

#7 ·
The MRGV hunts and estancia Valley hunts are by draw permit only although you can hunt the river and stuff you dont have to hunt on private property although it does help. And yes the WMA's have been not adding water until december although there are those freak accidents in which water magically appears from the duck gods :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.