Sandhill Crane Hunts

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Sandhill Crane Hunts

Postby Dr. Quack » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:04 pm

Could someone give me a "heads up" on how the Sandhill Crane hunts work? It sounds like most of the hunting is on private property in the MRGV, but I am not sure about the Estancia Valley hunts. Do you draw a tag and then try to find a landowner to give you access? If so, how do you go about it? Is there a list of people who want fewer Sandhills on their property somewhere? I am a life-long NM resident, hunting ducks and geese off and on for 50+ years, but have never tried going after the cranes. Thanks for your advice.... :beer:
Dr. Quack
hunter

Re: Sandhill Crane Hunts

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:04 am

In the MRGV most crane hunters that I've seen setup on the Levee roads and pass shoot and do very well. I do believe you must draw a permit however, same with the Estancia valley hunts.
Your Teal question, my advice would be scout because most on this site won't spill the beans. Good luck :thumbsup:
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby Dr. Quack » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:08 pm

Thanks for the reply regarding the crane hunt. I wasn't asking for teal honey holes, but just whether La Joya or Bernardo would be underwater by the weekend.
Dr. Quack
hunter

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:41 pm

More likely to have water around December like last season, however in years past "mistakes" have been made which water has found its way into ponds on the WMA. With recent rain you may find water in a number of locations....Scout. Cooler weather has pushed many birds into the area, trust me. Go find them!
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby Dr. Quack » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:58 am

Will do. Thanks, Blackfoot.
Dr. Quack
hunter

Postby ufducks7 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:35 pm

Sent you a pm
DD
ufducks7
hunter

Postby bandgitter91 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:03 pm

The MRGV hunts and estancia Valley hunts are by draw permit only although you can hunt the river and stuff you dont have to hunt on private property although it does help. And yes the WMA's have been not adding water until december although there are those freak accidents in which water magically appears from the duck gods :lol:
bandgitter91
hunter

Postby StevenL » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:01 pm

So, can any of the more astute, experienced, and former winners of the draw for crane tell us about how long it takes to be notified of success or failure making application?
StevenL
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting