Updates!

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Updates!

Postby ghostingrey » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:47 am

Hey all,
I called Las Vegas and Bosque del Apache refuges today to inquire about special permit hunts. They both gave me the same answer, call back at the end of August! Man am I getting antsy for the season. I'm already planing a backcountry grouse/trout trip for Labor day weekend. I'm getting sick of shooting clays and need some live bird action. At least the flyfishing has been keeping me busy. For any others out there chasing those trout I'll give you an update. Last weekend I hit the high country lakes in the Pecos. There's alot of fish activity up there but they are being kinda picky. I fished Stewart and Spirit lakes, had strikes or looks on almost every cast, but only landed a half dozen fish at each lake. Elk hair caddis, wooly buggers, and small midges were the ticket. Mora creek is fishing incredibly right now. Two weeks ago I camped at Mora flats and the fish were literally jumping on my hook. Every tiny pool or eddy was holding browns. Pretty much any dry fly was effective. The main Pecos has been fishing well if you can catch it on a cool, weekday. Had a couple of great days in the middle of the week, during or just after rains.
On a side note, I was wondering if anyone had advice regarding decent dove hunting in the northern part of the state. Never hunted doves out here and I know the south is generally considerd the best dove hunintg in the state but i was looking for spots that might be feasible as day trips from Santa Fe. Thanks,
Conor
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Postby Escopeton » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:53 pm

Hey Conor;

You may have to do some scouting for doves. If we get a cold front, the birds move out very quickly in September, especially in the northern part of the state. The closest area that may contain doves for you in S.F., may be the Galisteo drainage. Just pay attention to the pueblo land around it. At one time I was able to hunt doves right on the west mesa next to Albuq., but unfortunately, because of the amount of houses being built up there that is not permitted. Now I head south to hunt doves. Also, remember we have eurasian doves now and those birds don't migrate, per se; and don't count in the limit either.

Wish you luck in the hunts on the refuges, they can be a lot of fun. I will be putting in for the Bernardo and Bosque del Apache hunts, too. Las Vegas is not doable for me, it's my wife's busiest time at UNM. I don't know if I will head up for grouse this year - it is my pup's first season hunting. I will see how next month's training goes.

Hope to see you out there.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby randy marci » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:56 pm

conor, good to see the fish are treatin you well. i haven't fished for about 2 weeks. i am no fly fisherman so i hit the jemez and tied into a few bows on a rainbow mepps spinner. nothing bigger than about 10 inches, but they are all fun. still no proclamations down at the store. probably gonna be about 2 weeks is what i'm told. not long till dove and then teal. i'm just gonna hunt dove in the backyard with my RWS pellet gun :cool: they are everywhere. heading back to california for the state calling contest on august 5th and then back here to get ready for ours that should be in late august if it happens at all. good luck chasing them finned creatures and keep us updated.
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby ghostingrey » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:55 pm

Hey guys,
Thanks for the tips on the dove spots. I've hunted the Galisteo basin a bit and am lucky enough to have a hunting buddy from Santo Domingo so I occasionally get to hunt on the Pueblo lands with him. It's kinda tricky down there to find quality hunting areas that are on public land and not too close to houses. Development sucks. I have also been looking into the Caja del Rio Unit of the Santa Fe National Forest but am having difficulties getting a straight answer on hunting from the Espanola Field office.
Randy, Glad you've been out on the Jemez, how's the flow there, I haven't fished it since March because I figured the water level would be too low. Also, I need to get a new shotgun before the season starts and was wondering if Sportsman's Warehouse has any sales coming up that I should wait for. Good luck with the calling contests, I might hit you up for some help once I have a better idea what I'm doing.
See you all in the field,
Conor
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Postby randy marci » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:44 am

no sales at sportsmans that i know of. they sell so many guns there it's crazy. the jemez has been flowing somewhere around 13-16 cfs. really low but still has fish in it. hit me up if you ever wanna get together and tune some calls. i'm in snata fe every couple of weeks for business.
randy marci
State Moderator

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting