La Joya/Bernardo Flooded Yet?

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

La Joya/Bernardo Flooded Yet?

Postby Dr. Quack » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:53 pm

Opening day has come and gone. Are Bernardo and La Joya under water yet?
Dr. Quack
hunter

Re: La Joya/Bernardo Flooded Yet?

Postby cancode » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:46 pm

No it isn't. I called the refuge today. They have no water. As I understand it, they do not have authorization to get water until October 31st. The farmers have the rights. The Youth Waterfowl Days is this weekend but there is no place to go. The river is dry there as well....The past 7 years or so, I have had this same problem. Trying to take my kids hunting, but the ponds are dry or in the process of filling up and the water is spotty. This year because the river is dry, apparently there are no ducks either. I called G&F and sent e-mails to the commission and the conservation officer in Santa Fe. One of my suggestion is to follow Colorado's lead and start selling a NM state duck stamp. This could be used to buy water rights and enhance waterfowl habitat. Please take some time to voice your opinion. Waterfowl seems to take a back seat.
cancode
Newb

Postby FastPine » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:47 pm

La Joya is closed for waterfowl hunting indefinitely ..green jeans told me they closed it due to a large marijuana plantation found growing by the river.
Blasting holes in the night till she bled sunshine..
FastPine
hunter

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:37 am

NM G&F operate under the NM general fund (they say they don't, but they do) which means state legislators must vote on all funding programs which a NM duck stamp would fall under, now staffing, management, and how distribution of funds is control by the state. You'd be better off just rain dancing, albeit a great idea Colorado has.

Sounds like someone reopened the old cannabis plantation at LJ :fingerpt: always scary walking into an area at O'dark thirty wondering what you might run into.
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:50 am

Waterfowl DOES take a back seat...actually, waterfowl gets put in the trunk in this state. I would be all for a state stamp IF the funds were used exclusively for waterfowl projects. Otherwise, it would be useless. We need a lot of wet weather in a bad way.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:26 pm

You coming on this site now to ask Where to, How to, When to :lol: :fingerpt: Nice to see you pulled your post! Tired of receiving PM's?

You'll find that this community is very small.
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby randy marci » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:15 pm

Dr. Quack wrote:Opening day has come and gone. Are Bernardo and La Joya under water yet?

did everyone miss this little softball of goodness :hammer:

opening day has come and gone for the north zone. La Joya and Bernardo have zero to do with that. :lol3: Just don't put up a post saying you tried to hunt one of them already and you should be safe :wink:
this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby randy marci » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:16 pm

Blackfoot Inc wrote:You coming on this site now to ask Where to, How to, When to :lol: :fingerpt: Nice to see you pulled your post! Tired of receiving PM's?

You'll find that this community is very small.

that thread was way better before the edits and deletes :lol3:
this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:49 pm

Didn't miss that, some of his posts might have indicated that he hasn't hunted in a looong time.(AARP) I prefer the option of respect rather then the alternative.

As for the other matter... Scout,Scout and the Scout some more, post if you'd like,but don't be shocked when your covered up with cyber :fingerhead:
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby CHEWYDUCK » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:26 am

Hope everyone had a good summer, sounds like this year is going to be tough. Hey Fastpine, did they lock the gate at La Joya??? Or can we still access the river. My son and I were gpoing to go scout on Saturday, sounds like we might end up further south than we wanted
CHEWYDUCK
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:05 am

I figured it would get a bunch of attention, which is why I posted it out in the open. Got the answer I was looking for, so I edited it. I know there aren't but a handful of places to hunt, and it's not like they are very big secrets, but it's damn near impossible to find any answers anywhere. Sorry that someone new to the area is asking duck hunting questions on duck hunting forums...I'll quit now.

I used to be on here a long time ago, but I forgot my log-in stuff, so I thought I would quit lurking and sign up again so I could "meet" the other 6 duck hunters in this state :biggrin: .
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:45 pm

More sarcasm I see, isn't that what started your nightmare? Let's examine what we know, your an Elite Rufuge Member with 1,669 posts (enough to no better) moved to NM from Hooterville a few years back and since have asked Where to hunt,How to hunt, and when to hunt everything from turkeys to Elk & fish. Do you know anything about the outdoors?

On Tuesday you started a tread, edited, deleted and got flamed by your beloved Refuge members then in less then 24hrs joined DHC I'm confident to start the whole begging thing over again.

Attention, attention is what you seek????
Public Humiliation soothes the Soul :welcome:
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:33 pm

Actually, I didn't get flamed by a soul about that post. Like I said, I knew that if I "named a lake" - :eek: that I would probably get someone to answer my question...I got my question answered, so I edited it so that it wouldn't be "too revealing". And again, I had joined this site a long time ago. I don't have the same email that I had 6 years ago, and had no clue what my username and password was.

I moved from the southeast to the desert, and didn't know a soul when I moved here. I thought there might be some decent people on an outdoors forum that would be willing to show someone new around. I thought that forums were places to share info and possibly meet people :huh: Pretty sure you might be blowing a few things out of proportion...you're more than welcome to go search through my posts though, and correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think I ever actually asked for any hunting or fishing spots except for trying to get some info about maybe hunting the north zone last weekend(where I'm pretty sure I offered up a hunt down south for), but I've asked folks quite a few times if they would like to get together to hunt or fish, and I post more than most over there. I don't think that equates to asking "Where to hunt,How to hunt, and when to hunt everything from turkeys to Elk & fish" . The DGF website is a joke when it comes to finding out any information for new folks, so I thought I would ask questions to a crowd that might could help out. All of the places I duck hunted last year were places that I found and scouted on my own, without any help from the internet, just in case you were wondering.

I hope you never move somewhere that is completely different than NM and ask people on here(or the local gun shop, or another forum, etc.) for help getting to know your new surroundings...that would be shameful.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby YoungPunk23 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:10 pm

So, How bout that water in bernardo? Any body care to spill the beans?
YoungPunk23
hunter

Postby FastPine » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Bernardo is closed. Didn't you hear?
Blasting holes in the night till she bled sunshine..
FastPine
hunter

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:12 am

North ends full.
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby cyber_scouter » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Blackfoot Inc wrote: don't be shocked when your covered up with cyber :fingerhead:

I knew someone was talking about me. Anyway, I think it is funny that every year at the beginning of the season someone posts this question about the water status. Once I moved here and read past NM forum posts, it didn't take me long to realize that it is always this way, and there won't be water in there until after Nov1st. Then it takes a long time for those ponds to fill up. For those of you who think you're a seasoned hunter here in NM, and still ask about the water levels in LJ during early season, I got to say, you have no clue what goes on around here in NM. Just sayin.........
Utilize Technology---Scout from your computer desk.
cyber_scouter
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting