Snows on the Rio

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Snows on the Rio

Postby caveman70 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:33 pm

Do any of you target snows here in NM on the Rio Grande flyway? I mean not while duck hunting and having them pass over. Just curious if it is worth investing in a spread, blind, calls etc? Does it even make sense to have a snow call on your lanyard and a few snow decoys with the duck spread? Will they respond? Have not been hunting waterfowl for very long, but have seen snows flying in the past. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and used to see tons of them on the Skagit flats.

I want to target them specifically after duck season, but don't have a lot to invest, and would save my cash if it is not worth it.

Thank you all.
caveman70
hunter

Re: Snows on the Rio

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:34 pm

Best advice I could give would be find someone offering hunts for Snows, pay a gun fee, go on a few hunts to see if it's something your willing to invest in.
Another alternative is during the conservation season scout for roost locations on the Rio, the next morning at LST bang them on the roost or set up and wait for their return around last LST. I prefer the evening option, far more sporting.
Either way happy eating :no:
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:54 pm

Most likely if you shoot the roost, they won't come back. This is NM, make hay while the sun shines.....Do Your Damage!!
duckahlr
hunter

Postby caveman70 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:07 am

How funny. Was returning this afternoon from taking my kids out quail hunting and saw a blanket of white. My daughter (currently taking hunter safety, future duck hunter) asked if we could go hunt those... I told her, next year kiddo! I know that seeing them and actually getting them to come to gun are very different. That's what my question was, if you can draw them in with a good spread here or is it just a pass shooting affair?

Thanks for the advice guys. Spending December days in short sleeves is just sad.
caveman70
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:31 am

If you really want to try it you shouldn't have to invest too much. You can get by with just a few decoys and use milk jugs painted white or even grocery bags to fill out a spread. I've always wanted to try snow hunting, even though I hear they aren't great table fare. I've seen a few along the RG, but not enough that I would try to specifically hunt them.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting