Looking for a Springer

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

Looking for a Springer

Postby caveman70 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:44 pm

Does anybody know of a good Springer Spaniel breeder here in NM, or even close in AZ? There doesn't seem to be any listed. I want to start working a dog for next year for Quail, Grouse, and Waterfowl. My daughter is finishing up her hunter safety and is hooked on duck hunting. Fairly new to duck hunting here in NM even though I've been here for quite a while. I see Springers occasionally but have not found any breeders. My kids see them at the Highland Games we attend and they are really want one... plus I talk the breed up to be a wonder dog. Any info would be appreciated. I would really like to get a dog past the puppy stage.
Last edited by caveman70 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
caveman70
hunter

Re: Looking for a Springer

Postby quackadikt » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:06 pm

There are several nice breeders in Texas. I've got one that's a birdy ball of fire. She came from Allenby Kennels around the Georgetown area. Good luck, they are awesome little dogs.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby nmsales10 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:15 pm

Brother, you cannot find a better hunting and family dog than a Springer. I wish you luck. My last Springer came from a pound as a stray and by far was my finest hunter. There are breeders in AZ of a breed of French Spaniels- look up French Spaniels in Arizona and Montana.

I am recently transplanted to NM from AZ (12 years) and previously WI- am looking to get back into Upland Bird and Duck Hunting- miss them both. I currently have a 6 y/o Yellow Lab, never been hunting but shows good traits. Would like tp meet up with you and see where this could lead.

I live in Elephant Butte NM, I am a Firefighter with the EB VFD- sell Fire Trucks and Equipment in AZ and NM. Give me a call at (575)218-1121 or Email at dlindstedt@reagan.com

Dale
nmsales10
Newb

Postby caveman70 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:45 pm

Well, I rescued a springer from Mesa AZ last weekend from a family with 5 kids that had to move to Seattle and could not take her with them. Unfortunately they nearly destroyed this poor pup with flashlights. Mother ran a daycare in the home also. This dog thinks her job in life is finding reflections and shadows. We have a long road ahead of us. Took her into the Bosque and let her rip... all hunt! Flushed a nice rabbit and was keen on all the cranes overhead. Looked like a perfect springer, quartering out and back to me all day! She has never been hunted, amazing what genetics can do. Not sure how she is around guns yet.
DSC02244small.JPG

DSC02235small.JPG
caveman70
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting