So you want to be an A Hole huh?

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

So you want to be an A Hole huh?

Postby cyber_scouter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:23 pm

I hunted the River near Los lunas this morning. I got out there early and set up in the middle of the river off a sand bar, and about 6 am a couple guys pull up and walk out to the river right next to me. In order to let them know I was already there, I politely said "what's up buddy's." Thery were grumpy and said "nothing just gonna shoot some ducks this morning." So I asked if they plan to set up right on top of us. Then the F bomb got droped at me. I'm always up for a good fight, but didn't feel like fighting in the middle of the river at 6 am. I went ahead and picked up my dekes and moved across to the other side of the river from them. Then when the birds were flying they yelled at me to "shut up" when i would call. They did this after I moved, even when I was there first. So here's to you A hole. After getting peppered with steel shot all morning, I thought long and hard how to handle this situation and narrowed it down to 2 options. I'll let the public here decide.

Option 1: It is a great duck spot, so I could give away the location of this spot to everyone on the internet, especially since they built a very very nice blind there. It would really piss them off to find someone new in their spot every day.

Option 2: I eat a bunch of tamales and beans with red chile then go take a big 'ol poop right in the middle of their blind and use a stick to smear it all over the blind. (i'm seriously thinking this is the option to do).

What do you guys think?

BTW, I really, Really hope the guys that did this to me are members here and read this post. Either way, you messed with the wrong guy and your special little spot is going to get jacked.
Last edited by cyber_scouter on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Utilize Technology---Scout from your computer desk.
cyber_scouter
hunter

Re: So you want to be an A Hole huh?

Postby Gabe1Davis » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm

I ran into this one time hunting some nice state land...the best thing you can do is this:

chill out. its just hunting dude. its not worth getting yourself all pissed off and stressed over, your supposed to hunt to have fun. another time I was hunting some private land and the landowner gave multiple permission. I woke up early and beat the guys out, but they tried to set up on the other side of the field...so I just asked them if instead of working against each other, we should just set up and have better results. I didnt want to hunt with them, but I didnt want to have them flagging against me on the other side of the field. so we set up together and did alright.

so next weekend, get up early and do it again. its public land man, its just part of it. If worst comes to worst, try to hunt it on a weekday or a time they arent there.
professional redneck.
Gabe1Davis
hunter

Postby cyber_scouter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:01 pm

I would have been fine hunting with them, but instead of coming out saying, "sorry man, we got out a little late and don't have time to move to a new spot, but we got this real good blind that we built here if you wnat to get together on the birds today." But when you show up grumpy and start cussing at people, then what?
cyber_scouter
hunter

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:39 pm

Option 3: Destroy the blind. People who build blinds always seem to think its Ok to take possession of that location.

Option 4: go buy some aluminum pie plates and string, punch a hole in the plate tie the string through the hole. Then climb into as many cottonwood trees as you can and hang them. Any wind will spin them and flare ducks like crazy.

Option 5: 6: 7: I wouldn't ever consider sharing on the Internet.

Curious though, did you move in on them?
And just get there before they did :fingerpt:
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby Dirt » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:28 pm

I want to say the majority of waterfowlers would have moved on when they seen your light wether they have a blind there or not. Which is the right thing to do. Unfortunately It happens. Had it happen to me this year. We didn't say a word though. In past situations I have. I must be maturing finally. I set up a few couple weeks ago at a familiar spot. After more than 30 minutes into the hunt I noticed I was standing right next to a really nice blind. There was trash everywhere. I started to pick it up and throw it inside the blind. The more I picked up the angrier I was. I just dismantled the blind and sent it down the channel. People need to do the right thing. Pick up your trash number one. Two if someone is in or near your spot ya need to move on.
Dirt
hunter

Postby cyber_scouter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:01 am

Blackfoot Inc wrote:

Curious though, did you move in on them?
And just get there before they did :fingerpt:

Maybe I don't understand your question because if I got there before they did, it wouldn't be me moving in on them, but I went to that spot knowing it had potential from an early scouting trip this year. I didn't even know there was a blind there until they showed up. They came in from the opposite side of the river as me, but set up less than 50 yards from where my decoys were already set up. So I'd have to say they moved in on me, since I let them know I was there before they hit the water.
cyber_scouter
hunter

Postby flashman252 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:31 am

Option 2 is the route I would go cyber. Why tell everyone? That's no fun! Leave it semi a secret and know that those a-holes got to smell your ****** all morning when they are sitting in "their" blind on public property. The whole possession idea that flys around this state on the river after a blind has been built kills me. Always seems to cause turmoil on the river and seems to give ppl the idea it's ok to have an attitude. Doesn't make sense to me how ppl can think this way and why ppl are such pricks about it when someone beats you to the blind. Here's a thought! Blinds stand out easier to us humans, and work on cover for ducks but with that being said, if you build a blind it's like putting up an orange cone on the street. It's a big warning saying "here's where some nm waterfowler hunts" and any blind has potential. No one in their right mind would build a blind on a spot that hasn't produced before. But cyber, eat some good good chili, take a lot of gas-x for a week, and when you feel like its explosion time, take some laxetive and spill your guts all over their blind. Deep down inside it will make you feel better and it will make a great story to share on other duck hunting trips with your buddies. So with that said, get to eating like a bear before hibernation and let it all brew up for the big explosion and do what's right to teach some nm duck hunters a lesson.
flashman252
hunter

Postby brewersduck » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:54 am

:lol:

I vote that one too :biggrin:
brewersduck
Newb

Postby randy marci » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:47 am

tear the blind down....

there are 2 things I absolutely hate in this state.

1. Building blinds on public ground to try and "claim" a spot as your own. First off, blinds are not necessary and most stick out like a sore ****. Second, they usually become trash magnets like Dirt experienced.

2. Guides guiding on public ground. nuff said.
this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby jayclarkie » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:37 am

that sucks...i've encountered that kind of dueche-baggery on the golf course, but fortunately never on the river. i personally would just hunt the crap out of the spot during the week for the next few weeks, then go with the gigantic crap idea. the send the blind down the river is a good one too... i like to think that if/when i do run into someone out on the river, it'll be someone from this site and i'll hopefully make a new buddy. good luck man, there's a unfortunate number of dipshits in this world we live in.
Sorry folks, park's closed...
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:27 pm

Cyber, let me first start by saying I believe permanent blinds should not be allowed on public land, period, nor are they needed. Hunters take ownership of that location after spending time building them and should also take responsibility for trash cleanup too, we have all at one time or another had this confrontation with A-Holes who do this.
However, 60 days into the season most have settled into a select few locations we hunt. Which leads to the question did "you move in on them" I know the spot your talking about from the volume of shots that ring out throughout the valley almost each morning, it's not a secret that they've been hunting there all season. More of a ethical question...did you move in on them? And I know it's public land.
For the last thirty days I've been crushing mallards,but in order to protect this spot I have limited the exposure by when I hunt it, where I park, and most of all how many shots I shoot as not to draw attention to the area. Still I watch as truck after truck (many of which i recognize) search. At some point I'll have this same confrontation with a hunter who has moved in on me, if they have the resources to get there.
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby StevenL » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:57 pm

Cyber . . . by walking away, you've already done the best you could ever do.
StevenL
hunter

Postby FastPine » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:30 pm

cyber_scouter wrote:I'm always up for a good fight, but didn't feel like fighting in the middle of the river at 6 am. .

This was your major mistake.

I always carry a small rape horn. If the sole of my sportsman's warehouse waders doesn't cause them to leave, i promptly blow my horn and scream frantically "RAPE"!!! Then i shoot everyone's knee caps then call the cops. :wink: :grooving:

In all seriousness, use a horn or your call to flare their birds. Explain to them that by setting up that close to you will minimize both groups chances at birds. If they are mental midgets and refuse to leave. Blow the horn and tell them that you will flare any bird in sight if they decide to continue setting up. I would only recommend doing this on the river.
Blasting holes in the night till she bled sunshine..
FastPine
hunter

Postby randy marci » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:34 pm

FastPine wrote:
I always carry a small rape horn. If the sole of my sportsman's warehouse waders doesn't cause them to leave, i promptly blow my horn and scream frantically "RAPE"!!! Then i shoot everyone's knee caps then call the cops.

:lol: :lol:
you owe me money for a new keyboard. I spit Mountain Dew all over mine.... :lol3:
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby FastPine » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:40 pm

Blackfoot Inc wrote:Cyber, let me first start by saying I believe permanent blinds should not be allowed on public land, period, nor are they needed. Hunters take ownership of that location after spending time building them and should also take responsibility for trash cleanup too, we have all at one time or another had this confrontation with A-Holes who do this.
However, 60 days into the season most have settled into a select few locations we hunt. Which leads to the question did "you move in on them" I know the spot your talking about from the volume of shots that ring out throughout the valley almost each morning, it's not a secret that they've been hunting there all season. More of a ethical question...did you move in on them? And I know it's public land.
For the last thirty days I've been crushing mallards,but in order to protect this spot I have limited the exposure by when I hunt it, where I park, and most of all how many shots I shoot as not to draw attention to the area. Still I watch as truck after truck (many of which i recognize) search. At some point I'll have this same confrontation with a hunter who has moved in on me, if they have the resources to get there.
move in on them?? Really? It doesn't matter weather they have hunted there every day of the last five seasons, CS was there first and therefore had every right to the spot.
Blasting holes in the night till she bled sunshine..
FastPine
hunter

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:08 pm

:lol: thanks for reminding me I live in a Blue state where most don't work for anything and sponging off of others is the norm.

You obviously missed the point!!!
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby jayclarkie » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:49 pm

i call bullshit on that one blackfoot. if you're hunting public land you'd better get there first...if you don't, then it sucks to be you.
Sorry folks, park's closed...
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby KHerbst » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:56 pm

Gabe1Davis wrote:I ran into this one time hunting some nice state land...the best thing you can do is this:

chill out. its just hunting dude. its not worth getting yourself all pissed off and stressed over, your supposed to hunt to have fun. another time I was hunting some private land and the landowner gave multiple permission. I woke up early and beat the guys out, but they tried to set up on the other side of the field...so I just asked them if instead of working against each other, we should just set up and have better results. I didnt want to hunt with them, but I didnt want to have them flagging against me on the other side of the field. so we set up together and did alright.

so next weekend, get up early and do it again. its public land man, its just part of it. If worst comes to worst, try to hunt it on a weekday or a time they arent there.

x2---- Best way to handle!
KHerbst
hunter

Postby KHerbst » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:17 pm

Now that I am bouncing back and forth from a state like NM, where we are spoiled to have the open access to fowling that we do, and CA a state that has a tremendous amount of birds with a tremendous amount of hunters--- I would rather fight the crowds in NM than pay to shoot spoonies.

Blackfoot has a good point, birds are there to be had and in somewhat of a secretive way if you manage the days and times you hunt. Yes as B-Foot and Dirt know, people do get envious and attempt to "claim jump". Of course, we would never move to where the birds are working :rolleyes: It's called public land for a reason, if birds are working 3 miles south of X Road and not 3 miles north where do you think I am heading? I hear the shots ring out every morning from the same crew hunting 3.4-4.5 miles south of main street. Same group-same attitudes-same blind. They own the valley don't you know!

Agree with Randy..............blinds suck! If you need a blind to shoot ducks from good for you, most of us dont and we like it that way! If you hunt from a blind, pick up your crap. Man what I wouldn't give to be a CO for a week!

KLH
KHerbst
hunter

Postby cyber_scouter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:18 pm

Blackfoot Inc wrote:However, 60 days into the season most have settled into a select few locations we hunt. Which leads to the question did "you move in on them" I know the spot your talking about from the volume of shots that ring out throughout the valley almost each morning, it's not a secret that they've been hunting there all season. More of a ethical question...did you move in on them? And I know it's public land.

Are you freaking kidding me? So by your logic, 60 days after the start of season no one can try new spots because others have already claimed that portion of public land. I'm always looking for new spots. I don't care if it is the last day of season and I want to go try a new spot on public land. I will, and have the right to. And if it's on public land and I get there before the next group, then I didn't move in on anyone. Are you defending these jerk offs? And BTW, like I already said, I came in to a spot I thought had potential from scouting earlier in the season and didn't even know there was a blind there until Tweedle D and Tweedle Dumb showed up. I hunted that spot once last year, so I guess that means they moved in on me this season.
cyber_scouter
hunter

Postby flashman252 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:25 pm

A little off topic but cyber... Are you admitting to scouting with a car and using up gas and not with a computer???? God answers prayers, more need to be converted like you. And I agree with you, always looking for new spots. Kills me when ppl say they know my holes in sections of rivers. Wish I had my "holes" but I go where the birds go and I am always seeing new sections of river and never settle into a single area and pray for the best.
flashman252
hunter

Postby cyber_scouter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:01 pm

flashman252 wrote:A little off topic but cyber... Are you admitting to scouting with a car and using up gas and not with a computer???? .

Yeah, google maps hasn't been updated lately. But it's ok cause I just got a divorce and stole back my wife's wedding band and engagement ring. I hocked them off and payed for gas to scout and some new decoys, and enough shells for the whole season.:biggrin: :grooving:
cyber_scouter
hunter

Postby flashman252 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:01 am

I don't wish divorce upon anyone and I'm sorry to hear about this but duck hunting is far better than dealing with women. It's a blessing in disguise. Have a good rest to your season and get to eating so you can take a big ol dooper on that blind.
flashman252
hunter

Postby randy marci » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:12 am

Kevin, people here have absolutely no idea how good it truly is here vs other states. I would be willing to bet that if a guy had to hunt all 50 states on PUBLIC LAND, well 49 without hawaii, NM would fall in the top 5....even with the number of A-holes we encounter out here.
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:36 pm

I don't think there's any denying your right to be pissed off at these guys, but honestly if you go with either option you're no better than they are. Show up there again and if it continues to happen contact the NM G&F and explain what's going on. What happened to you is hunter harassment and is a ticketable offense.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting