A Chill in the Air Brings Cold Weather Blues

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

A Chill in the Air Brings Cold Weather Blues

Postby lindschesapeake » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:00 am

With the cold front that came through this weekend the doves have packed their bags and caught a flight going south. Went out this morning and saw very few doves were on Friday you couldn't beat them off with your shotgun.

But looking on the positive side maybe a few more waterfowl will move in before the season starts. Even on a more positive note an early freeze up in the San Luis Valley is very likely this year and our early south zone season could be a real hoot. It has been several years since a good freeze has hit the San Luis Valley in October but this maybe the year.

Lucky for us that the rains this year have help keep the lakes with water and maybe our Game and Fish Dept might put water in Bernardo for this teal season. Anybody talk to the G&F about their plans for when they will put water in Bernardo and La Joya? I have learned from the past few years that lack of ponded water in and around the MRGV has basically pushed the early migration onto Bosque NWF. I've followed the migration reports that are reported for Bosque for many years and the past few years the duck numbers on Bosque have reached the high numbers earlier than for years back when their was ponded water around the MRGV. Last year the Duck numbers reported for Bosque were the highest I have ever seen reported. Meaning the ponded water helps keep the birds spread out. This year the stock tanks and ponds will have water and ducks will be more spread out for the early season. Should make for some fun jump shooting in the early season.

Now lets hope for a good freeze this year for then big water will be the place to be during the late season. Freezing your "@#$%" off during a cold windy December/January morning in anticipation of a flock of Canadas coming over the hill makes the Chill in the Air bring dreams of a limit of the big boys.
lindschesapeake
hunter

Re: A Chill in the Air Brings Cold Weather Blues

Postby Dirt » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:36 pm

lindschesapeake wrote:maybe our Game and Fish Dept might put water in Bernardo for this teal season. Anybody talk to the G&F about their plans for when they will put water in Bernardo and La Joya?

Good question. If I had Tim Mitchussons email I would ask him.
I'm gonna try to find out tomorrow and send him one.
What good times were had back when they used to flood those areas
before teal season. Checked out the two yesterday and was bummed
out. Soutwest Bernardo had a little water. That could be a dangerous
place to hunt come opening day.
Dirt
hunter

Postby randy marci » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:39 am

there still is just a few dove around. very few. on the bright side for me is all the tanks i have found that are already holding ducks. even jumped some pintail the other day at a little out of the way spot. i am using the dove season for duck scouting anyways as i can't seem to hit those little buggers. they just don't give me the same target as a fat greenie hovering over the dekes :yes: good luck to all and only 10 days till teal bite the dust.
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby ghostingrey » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:57 am

Went out yesterday to a spot that had decent number of doves last Friday and there was not a dove to be seen. Seems like it might be the shortest dove season ever. After bagging a half dozen on Friday I had high hopes for the season but those cold fronts we love so much for pushing ducks our way have put a damper on the doves. I haven't been as lucky as Randi in finding ducks in the tanks. On the good side, with no dove action, I should have plenty of time to scout for ducks.
It was a good weekend as far as grouse go. Went up into the Sangres and found a decent number of birds. We bagged three on Saturday and two on Sunday. I'll be heading back up into the Pecos wilderness this weekend to try to find some more. I have to say, those birds are dumb, but the sure are delicious.
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Postby Dirt » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:26 pm

Spoke w/Game&Fish today. They are waiting to hear from
Conservancy District who is waiting to hear from hydrologist.
They hope to start flooding before season.

I was gonna head south for dove Saturday but got the invite
from a friend who said they did good Friday. I put the hammer
on em Saturday & Sunday. Limits were had ten miles from
Albuquerque. Saw about forty pintails also.
Dirt
hunter

Postby lindschesapeake » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:43 am

Same old story from Game and Fish and the MRCD regarding taking water for the WMA. You would hope they could try and plan ahead. Oh well jump shooting should be fun for the early season and since the rio has had water all summer it should be good for the opener.

Southern Colorado holding about an average number of birds; hope for an early freeze in San Luis Valley to help extend our early season for the last of October and first part of Nov.

Should have a fair to good start for the northern NM season since ponds are holding birds. Stop by a few ponds when driving back from Colorado and got birds up from every pond I hit.

A few pockets of doves around but very few. Took a bakers dozen before heading home.

The high weeds have been hell on my young Chesapeake pup but he does have that typical Chesapeake stcik-to-itnus. Just has to learn to not get fooled by the cover when marking a dropped bird. I'll just shoot a bunch of pigeons for him over the next few weeks until season starts. Hopefully he will pick up on working the area of the fall a little better and learn how to negotiate the weeds. But he will still play back up until January then he may get his starting role. Love to hunt with the dogs.

Now the waiting game begins.
lindschesapeake
hunter

Postby randy marci » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:33 pm

finally found some doves. shot limits thursday and friday. they are grouped heavy so i imagine when i go back tomorrow they will be gone. less than a week guys. teal are sporadic but prolly enough for a couple limits where i've been seeing them. lindsay, lots of birds up north is correct. it has already been down in the thirties up there so should be good. good luck to all this coming saturday. our sickness is about to come full circle once again :getdown:
randy marci
State Moderator

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting