flashman252 wrote:these are just possibilities and kind of far out ideas.
1)Draws for blinds in bernardo and la joya
2)Identification tests to obtain a waterfowl license
While well intended.............neither will correct what we are seeing. Much like increased gun control wont stop a criminal from being a criminal. There are many states out there that hold waterfowling to a much higher degree- they have not found a way to enforce ID management not sure how NM can be the first.
As for blind draws, this is the last thing we want. Talk to someone from states that run a draw system- it sucks! First the state guys dont place the blinds on the X- and the X tends to move from season to season. Second, what if there is a big push and you didn't get drawn..........sorry for you, third most state blinds suck- boxes with the wrong or too much brush.
The best thing we have going in NM is the flexibility to move if needed. Your best bet is just learn how and when to hunt the state WMA's. I have been hunting the WMA's since the mid ninety's- yes I see my share of jerks but I have also experienced hunts that many of the other "Duck States" can't provide.
People we are spoiled, get that straight right now. I have hunted from Maine to California. Aside from a freelance hunt in Alberta harvesting fat mallards and canada's- I'd put our hunting here in NM against any state. So let's not run out and ruin a good thing as we think more controls are needed from F&G.
Suggestions might be-
1) Youth Duck Days- lets' educate the kids now on ID-sportsmanship and gunning
2) Waterfowl clean up days- let's work with the state to set up a fun day cleaning up the WMA's show them we are vested
3) Re-introduce the state duck stamp- funds can be leveraged to build nesting habitat where are birds migrate from. The cost to restore habitat can be mitigated with state and federal funds much easier than building a new WMA.
4) Hunt the WMA's past 1 the last week of season.
5) Increase budget for CO's if we had one CO assigned to Valencia and Soccoro Counties working a 5 day week we could clean up the rotten eggs quickly. This CO must be focused on waterfowl only not pulled in 4 directions once the Big Game season starts
6)Initiate a new study on the Highline Canada Goose to course correct the current seasonal limit- the decisions to limit that season was based upon studies from a non waterfowl biologist and dates back 20 years, yet nobody has challenged it. Please ask what science the season is based upon and whether the data is still relevant.