Gun laws?

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Gun laws?

Postby ac43123 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:15 pm

I am moving to New Mexico this summer for work and was wondering what the laws are regarding handguns ( open carry, vehicle carry, etc). Also are there any good places to check out for hunting in the Hobbs area, without giving away any specific holes ofcourse.
It's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin', you nerve-wrackin' sons-of-bitches!

"If it flies it dies... If it just sits there, it dies too."
ac43123
Newb

Re: Gun laws?

Postby ajmorell » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:32 am

Open carry is legal in NM. I believe that you can legally carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle in NM as it's considered an extension of your home, but don't quote me on that.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby StevenL » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:34 pm

Mr. Morell is right about carrying in your vehicle. I've copied and pasted the statute.

30-7-2. Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon.
A. Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon consists of carrying a concealed loaded firearm or any other type of deadly weapon anywhere, except in the following cases:
(1) in the person's residence or on real property belonging to him as owner, lessee, tenant or licensee;
(2) in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance, for lawful protection of the person's or another's person or property;
(3) by a peace officer in accordance with the policies of his law enforcement agency who is certified pursuant to the Law Enforcement Training Act [29-7-1 NMSA 1978];
(4) by a peace officer in accordance with the policies of his law enforcement agency who is employed on a temporary basis by that agency and who has successfully completed a course of firearms instruction prescribed by the New Mexico law enforcement academy or provided by a certified firearms instructor who is employed on a permanent basis by a law enforcement agency; or
(5) by a person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued to him by the department of public safety pursuant to the provisions of the Concealed Handgun Carry Act [29-19-1 NMSA 1978].
B. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the carrying of any unloaded firearm.
C. Whoever commits unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.
History: 1953 Comp., § 40A-7-2, enacted by Laws 1963, ch. 303, § 7-2; 1975, ch. 134, § 1; 1985, ch. 174, § 1; 2001, ch. 219, § 13.
StevenL
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:03 pm

StevenL wrote:Mr. Morello

Fixed :wink:
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby StevenL » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:10 pm

Thanks AJ!