New Mexico Game and Fish Came through

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

New Mexico Game and Fish Came through

Postby lindschesapeake » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:17 am

If you haven't noticed, La Joya is being filled with water as well as south part of Bernardo.

This is the earliest the north pond at La Joya has been filled in several years. What is good about this is that large ponds help attract ducks moving into the area. Thus when the major part of our migration occurs you have a chance of birds settling in along the MRGV instead of just moving in to Bosque Del Apache right away like what happened last year.

Now what would be good to see is some vegetation management. This needs funds and the only way this will happen is to start lobbying for them. Any suggestions?
Lindsey
lindschesapeake
hunter

Postby lindschesapeake » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:02 am

A call to the NMG&F and letting them know that you appreciate their efforts in getting water into the WMAS would go a long way in helpig hunter relations with the Dept. So call.

I lost Tim Mitchison's phone number anybody have it?

Once again call and be proactive. Those of you who are active in Ducks unlimited should in my mind be more active with getting help for our states WMAS. This is a tall order but without trying we'll only see it get worse.

Lindsey
lindschesapeake
hunter

Postby randy marci » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:42 pm

i hear you on the D.U. front. i'll be there this aturday at the dinner in albuquerque. on a side note about the water into la joya. be very very careful down there right now. i was warned about all the snakes due to flood up and ended up on top of a 4 footer this morning who was none too happy. unfortunately for him i wasn't too happy either. 4 greenwings in short order made the day a success however.
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby lindschesapeake » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:02 am

Went out and watched the sunset over the MRGV on Sunday. Setting on top of the cliffs allowed me to get a great view of the area. Spotted several flights of birds and enjoyed watching the day come to an end.

Randy, shooting rattlers is really never necessary. Most rattlers are giving you a warning and will not strike most of the time. You would be surprised at the number of snakes down in the valley you just pass on by and you never know it. If you are interested in having your dog snake broke, pm me and I'll fill you in.

With the nicer cool weather moving in a backpacking trip is in order. Should be a beautiful fall of colors in the mountains this fall.

Lindsey
lindschesapeake
hunter

Postby Dirt » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:19 pm

My buddy lives in Oklahoma. He says their game department
plants jap millet throughout different lakes there. I agree something
needs to happen here. Most spots that have water are choked out
by cattails. Not even a flaming arrow would help.

I'll make my call to the G&F. We need to be heard or we will be
forgotten. The hunting would be so much better if our wma's were taken
better care of.

On the snake note. My lab died in my arms on Nov. 5 2005 after a snakebite. Nobody should go through this. You take a risk going out
before a good freeze. I've been taking my 10 month old lab out since
sept 1st. I've been trying to be careful as possible. If it happened again
to me I dont know what I'd do. Starting over again is a chore. Seeing
the improvements from one week to the next is making it worth while.
Dirt
hunter

Postby Ex-Cajun » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:48 am

Lindsey,
The number I have for Tim Mitchison is: 505-835-0900

Travis
Ex-Cajun
hunter

Postby Mattquack » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:46 pm

randy marci wrote:i hear you on the D.U. front. i'll be there this aturday at the dinner in albuquerque. on a side note about the water into la joya. be very very careful down there right now. i was warned about all the snakes due to flood up and ended up on top of a 4 footer this morning who was none too happy. unfortunately for him i wasn't too happy either. 4 greenwings in short order made the day a success however.

I would've killed that sum'bitch too.
Mattquack
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting