2013 Waterfowl rules????

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

2013 Waterfowl rules????

Postby KHerbst » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:06 pm

While I am yet to get my blood pressure up over this.......as I want to confirm exactly what changes are on the table. Today I received a copy of the suggested rule changes that will dramatically affect our 2013/14 Season.

This affects everyone........refuge hunters and river hunters alike.

If I knew how to post a PDF I would do so for all to ready. If you want your own copy PM me and I will email them your way.

From what I am gathering- and I say gathering as there are many potential misprints and vague changes that I dont seem to understand where they are heading. So I will paraphrase-

1) It appears that Lajoya, Bernardo Ponda and the Quag are all now going to a draw system to hunt. However there is no mention of how to apply-when the draw will take place, how to verify, how to manage second choice or dates, how many hunters will be drawn per hunt code and how those numbers will be established, blinds-no blinds etc.
2) It appears they specifying two units at Bernardo by name.....The Quag and the Benardo Ponds
3) The Quag will be a draw area
4) The Bernardo Ponds will be a draw area
5) The Bernardo Ponds will be open to youth hunting 1PM to Sunset one day a week.
6) LaJoya will be a draw area both North and South
7) LaJoya North will be open to hunting from 1-6PM one day a week......where as Bernardo will be open for Youth Only.... Lajoya did not specify it was for Youth Only..........typo or plan???
8) Lajoya South will be open to hunting from 1-6PM one day a week....again no mention of Youth Only or Adult???????

There is much to be said about the proposed changes, timing of these changes etc.

There is a Commission Meeting planned for August 22nd in Grants. If you cant make it, you should definitely reach out to the commission to voice your opinion.

I called Kristen McFadden to clarify but have yet to receive a return phone call.

More to follow-

Kevin
KHerbst
hunter

Re: 2013 Waterfowl rules????

Postby randy marci » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:57 am

Thanks for the info Kevin. I come from a state with rules on the refuges like mentioned above. We do not want them here. Trust me. Draws, blinds, etc., do nothing more than promote horrible sportsmanship in those areas and crowd the areas that do not have those rules in place. This will be a bad deal all the way around if it is true.
this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby KHerbst » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:17 am

New ammended and proposed rule changes came out yesterday.

Youth Hunting North of 60 Closed all season.

Bernardo Unit West of Unit 7 Drain........closed all season to adult hunters. Only for youth hunting- Friday 1PM to Sunset, Saturday open until 1 PM, Sunday open until 1PM.

Quagmire is the only area at Bernardo open to adults......I think the days to hunt have also changed.

LaJoya North open to hunting on Wed 1PM to Sunset...........shooting the roost?????

LaJoya South open to hunting Thursday 1PM to Sunset.........same comment as above. Love to whack a few birds down here in the evening- but I will defer in attempt to keep them around for more than one good hunt.

Here is my take-

Love the efforts to take kids afield but do we need to decrease the amount of acreage for adults to do so? Do we need to shoot the roost to do so? We have a narrow and highly sensitive flyway in the central rio valley. Mess with the birds- you will loose them. Affecting both river and refuge hunters. The birds will simply move on.....

If affects us all......dont sit back!

Jim Lane-Director james.land@state.nm.us
Cal Baca- Chief of Wildlife CalM.Baca@state.nm.us

kristin.madden@state.nm.us
michael.gustin@state.nm.us

Game Comission

Chair Scott Bidegain nmdgf.chairman@state.nm.us

Vice Chair Thomas "****" Salopek Dicksalopek@hotmail.com

Tom Arvas
7905 Spain NE
Albuquerque, NM 87109

Paul Kienzle
paul@kienzlelaw.com

Bill Montoya
billmontoya@hotmail.com

Robert Espinoza Sr.
robert_nmgf@live.com

Ralf Ramos
ralphramos@comcast.net
KHerbst
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:08 pm

There are more views on the Bird Dog Trainer thread, just saying.

Kev, you have been in this state long enough to realize that the hunter population here is anything but proactive. Noone supports the non profit organizations, supports management or clean up of the state areas we do have, and during season some fight, bicker, and trash hunting areas.

If we ( the waterfowl community) want to make things better we must all come together. We must manage the slob hunters, get guys involved and become a community as the the big game guys do. It's not any two, three, or fifty guys, everyone has to do their part.

As far as the proposal......it's just that a proposal! It doesn't mean it will pass. And if it does, then that means we as waterfowlers must get involved.
duckahlr
hunter

Postby steamboat » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:36 pm

These proposed rules are stupid. There are so many sandhill cranes that i cant understand cutting the tags. That sand hunt is tough because the birds are smart and know where private land is located. Last year was a 100 drought so lots of birds headed further south for food. This year will be better!!!!

Plus there were tons of leftover youth hunts on the youth only hunts they had last year!!!

Keep the rules the same!!!!!!
steamboat
hunter

Postby vlb » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:14 pm

vlb
hunter

Postby nmhntr » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:10 am

nmhntr
hunter

Postby Rivr2319 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:01 am

From what I've been reading, quite a few hunters love to hunt right on top of one another. I find that just ridiculous, selfish, and just plain stupid. There should be a rule against dumb "hunters". Now I've hunted management areas back in California such as Cibola down in Blythe, CA and Pintail Slough in Mohave Valley, CA. They had draw systems, decent pits or stand-up blinds, weren't setup too close, yet not so far, and I slaughtered birds there. Of course if you have a skybuster the next blind over, it's going to get a little tough, but I couldn't begin to imagine someone setting up 10-25 yards away and blowing the hunt. That's insane. But I understand some of it is the management fault, reading about some pre-made blinds they have right next to each other. If I read wrong about anything, please inform, this is really just speculation from reading the forum, I am yet to actually head to the field and see for myself.
KUPT UP AND KOMMITED
TAKE EM'!!!
Rivr2319
hunter

Postby randy marci » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:38 am

LOL....no spinners anywhere south of 60 on Bernardo....dropped the number of cranes to 2 per season.....6 teal per day for teal season.....possession will now be 3 times the daily bag limit.....youth only for west of the unit 7 drain in Bernardo and Friday's they will be able to shoot from 1:00PM till sunset, but no morning hunt that day....They show no specific changes for LaJoya. These are the changes I see.
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby Rivr2319 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:36 pm

Those changes don't seem necessary to me. To me, I believe the Arizona waterfowl regs are top notch. 7 Bag limit, 14 is possession limit. Shooting time starts half hour before sunrise, I THINK if I remember and then stops 30 before sunset. They also post the sunrise/ sunset times in the regs which is handy. I would love to go Crane hunting, I believe they shouldn't drop it. There are tons of cranes here!
KUPT UP AND KOMMITED
TAKE EM'!!!
Rivr2319
hunter

Postby nmhntr » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:06 pm

The rule changes are not directed by hunters. Hunters need to unite to work out any difference among ourselves!!

Kristin Madden was hired as waterfowl director in March 2012. She has a long history of bird rehab and with a long list of work with other environmental organizations. For full disclosure I don't know her personally. She looks like a nice lady, but she also looks to me like an anti-hunter working for NMDGF! Read Kristin Madden's Linkedin profile for yourself!!

http://www.linkedin.com/in/kristinmadden

http://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Kristin-Madden_photo.jpg
~~~~~~~

Greetings,

We have scheduled a public meeting in Albuquerque on August 12 at 1 pm to accept comments regarding changes to the migratory game bird rule. This is an opportunity for us to hear your concerns, support and/or suggestions. Everything offered by the public will be considered carefully afterwards but we will not debate anything or make decisions at this meeting.

Thank you and I hope to see you there.

Kristin Madden
Bird Program Manager
Wildlife Management Division
New Mexico Department of Game and Fish
One Wildlife Way
Santa Fe, NM 87507
505-476-8161
kristin.madden@state.nm.us
nmhntr
hunter

Postby Rivr2319 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:54 pm

Honestly, not going to judge, she does look anti-hunter. I've seen a woman like her before. In Cali, my hometown refuge, Havasu Lake Wildlife Refuge, we had a new Refuge manager, who was also quite old, a woman who hated us hunters, luckily I ran with the Arizona regs, but man that Cali office was tense when I went.
KUPT UP AND KOMMITED
TAKE EM'!!!
Rivr2319
hunter

Postby Rivr2319 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:56 pm

Nothing against women, although you can tell a tree hugger from a conservationist.
KUPT UP AND KOMMITED
TAKE EM'!!!
Rivr2319
hunter

Postby nmhntr » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:55 pm

You can't make this up. This is what I found in a quick Google search.. I'll let you read it yourself!! Be sure to look at the Ardantane's School of Shamanic Studies (www.ardantane.org) organization that she is the leader of in her spare time!!

She wrote a book called "Pagan Homeschooling." http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/1892718421

About the author on Amazon -- "Obviously, I'm an author but I am also a homeschooling mom and the Dean of Ardantane's School of Shamanic Studies (www.ardantane.org). I'm a Druid and tutor for the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids and a licensed Avatar Master. In my spare time (hahahaha), I rehabilitate wild birds and co-lead a children's peace group.

I was raised in a shamanic home of spiritual explorers. Since 1972, I have been trained in a variety of Eastern and Western mystic paths and New Age technologies. I live with my wonderful family and assorted (and ever-changing) menagerie of creatures in the desert Southwest."
nmhntr
hunter

Postby Dirt » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:47 pm

You've got to be kidding me. :no:
Then I hear of others on the "inside" making these rules are Jesus freaks, current or former addicts.
Don't look good folks. :help:
Dirt
hunter

Postby vlb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:28 pm

Kristin Madden
She seems to be a real #ich, where does she park her broom? Who appointed it?
vlb
hunter

Postby Rivr2319 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:39 am

Oh My Lord.
That really is somethin'
It's a tough life for us waterfowlers who live by the bird.
KUPT UP AND KOMMITED
TAKE EM'!!!
Rivr2319
hunter

Postby PeterJarmo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:01 pm

So is are they prohibiting motion decoys just for the Bernardo Youth area, or is it everywhere south of 60? Thatd be a big game changer...
PeterJarmo
hunter

Postby randy marci » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:21 am

PeterJarmo wrote:So is are they prohibiting motion decoys just for the Bernardo Youth area, or is it everywhere south of 60? Thatd be a big game changer...

If you read it, they are prohibited everywhere south of 60. an obvious typo that made me laugh a little deep down inside when they adopt these.
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby PeterJarmo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:07 pm

hmmm, well i guess if everybody plays by the rules we'll all be on a level (motion-less) decoy field...

I wonder if a bilge pump stirring up the water classifies as a 'motion decoy'?
PeterJarmo
hunter

Postby Rivr2319 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:19 pm

Does a jerk string count?
KUPT UP AND KOMMITED
TAKE EM'!!!
Rivr2319
hunter

Postby KHerbst » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:00 pm

As seen on the NMWF website. Thanks to Joel and the team for bringing this up.

Middle Rio Grande waterfowl hunters could be in for big changes under a Department of Game and Fish proposal for the Bernardo/La Joya waterfowl areas. The proposal, which has had little public attention, is up for final approval by the State Game Commission on Aug. 22. The proposal itself has been a moving target. When the draft was first unveiled in mid-July it drew fire from waterfowlers over several issues, including a plan to make most Bernardo and La Joya hunts draw-only and to assign parties to specific blinds. It also appeared to allow adult supervisors to hunt with their youth companions during youth hunts. The proposal has since been revised ( click here to read it). The department will take comment on the new Bernardo plan at a meeting set for 1 p.m. Monday, Aug. 12, at the Game and Fish office in Albuquerque (click here for a map .) The public input from the Aug. 12 meeting will be provided to the Game Commission when it meets Aug. 22 in Grants.
KHerbst
hunter

Postby Rivr2319 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:28 pm

So I'm curious, do some oppose the blind draw rule?
KUPT UP AND KOMMITED
TAKE EM'!!!
Rivr2319
hunter

Postby KHerbst » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:11 pm

Rivr2319 wrote:So I'm curious, do some oppose the blind draw rule?

First and foremost..........Welcome! :welcome:

I spent a season over on the Salton Sea, as well had several hunts on the Colorado a decade or so ago. Hunted between the refuges north of Yuma but south of Lake H.

Anyway, what you will find coming from SoCal. NM has incredible waterfowl hunting that has yet to be ruined by a mandatory draw. It alows the flexibility for someone to do their homework and chase the birds when 1) weather pushes them in 2) water finally hits the WMA. It also allows for a hunter.......and even a hunter with their kids to sleep in........go to church etc and maybe hunt the last 2-3 hours rather than expose a young kid to countless hours looking at blue sky or the cold morning air.

While the WMA's have seen increased traffic since my first season in 1993, it is still very managable and pleasant. Not only for me and my hunting partners but also for my kids. Win-Win. Yes we have some idiots out there, but that is true of every State or Federal WMA I have hunted from Maine to Cali. Nothing increased law enforcement could not address.

Our challenges have more to do with decreasing acreage due to lost habitat-lack of water at the start of the season and overall property managment (Cattails, evasive weeds etc)

As the state doesnt have a large coffer of funds to manage correctly. Let's not ruin the experience for all by experimenting with a process that isnt needed at this point.

KLH
KHerbst
hunter

Postby Rivr2319 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:17 pm

I understand and see what you mean, and agree.

The Salton Sea? Really? I haven't read WON in a while so i don't know how it has been. Have you hunted Cibola NWR? It's near blythe
KUPT UP AND KOMMITED
TAKE EM'!!!
Rivr2319
hunter

Next

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting