2013 Waterfowl rules????

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Re: 2013 Waterfowl rules????

Postby jrabq » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:47 pm

KHerbst wrote:
Rivr2319 wrote:So I'm curious, do some oppose the blind draw rule?

Anyway, what you will find coming from SoCal. NM has incredible waterfowl hunting that has yet to be ruined by a mandatory draw. It alows the flexibility for someone to do their homework and chase the birds when 1) weather pushes them in 2) water finally hits the WMA. It also allows for a hunter.......and even a hunter with their kids to sleep in........go to church etc and maybe hunt the last 2-3 hours rather than expose a young kid to countless hours looking at blue sky or the cold morning air.

While the WMA's have seen increased traffic since my first season in 1993, it is still very managable and pleasant. Not only for me and my hunting partners but also for my kids. Win-Win. Yes we have some idiots out there, but that is true of every State or Federal WMA I have hunted from Maine to Cali. Nothing increased law enforcement could not address.

Our challenges have more to do with decreasing acreage due to lost habitat-lack of water at the start of the season and overall property managment (Cattails, evasive weeds etc)

As the state doesnt have a large coffer of funds to manage correctly. Let's not ruin the experience for all by experimenting with a process that isnt needed at this point.

KLH

Very well stated Kevin, I agree 100%. Going to a draw would be a disaster. Seems like most of the "solutions" to a "problem" are worse than the problem. There also seems to be a mistaken impression by some that there are a bunch of good blinds (or just blinds, period) at these sites, and if you were assigned one you would have a good hunt. What a joke.

JR
jrabq
hunter

Postby Rivr2319 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:54 pm

Okay I get the picture now. I agree, there needs to be a lot more area to hunt along the river. Along the Colorado back home as well
KUPT UP AND KOMMITED
TAKE EM'!!!
Rivr2319
hunter

Postby steamboat » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:00 pm

any updates from the meeting on Monday about the new rules?
steamboat
hunter

Postby StevenL » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:26 pm

Straight from the Game and Fish Commission website, here's a link to the proposals on the table regarding migratory birds:

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/commiss ... 20Bird.pdf
StevenL
hunter

Postby PeterJarmo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Someone mentioned a couple posts back about an increased warden presence. I think that would be very helpful. You can keep making up new rules and regs but if you're not going to enforce them its not going to help anything. I hit bernardo/quag/LJ 1-3/week last season and never once got checked by a warden. All the while seeing some pretty bad stuff going on. There was about a month there where someone was dumping perfectly good mallards, teal, pintails etc in the pond next the parking at Bernardo not even breasted out or anything. Saw a similar spot on the river S of Los Lunas too. I called into G&F to let them know about this but kept seeing more and more good birds every week dumped... I've been checked more for squirrel hunting than duck hunting and I hardly ever squirrel hunt...
Point is, you can make all sorts of new rules but if nobody is there to enforce them the same old crap is just going to keep on and only the law abiding hunters will suffer...
PeterJarmo
hunter

Postby Rivr2319 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:22 am

Wow that's terrible. If you're going to waste a good bird why the hell are they hunting? I swear some people just need a brain -.-
KUPT UP AND KOMMITED
TAKE EM'!!!
Rivr2319
hunter

Postby Quack-Blaster » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:01 pm

I love how this has come down and everyone is getting their feathers ruffled. How many of the long time NM hunters spend the majority of their time hunting on Bernardo? I would venture to guess not many. The one point that no one has brought up is the economic influence of waterfowl hunting and how it affects rule changes. There has been an influx in duck hunters over the last 2 years that has brought a lot more pressure to Bernardo/La Joya making it over hunted and unsafe. Are you "long time" guys so hell bent on hunting Bernardo that this is going to affect you?

Why are you guys getting so upset over 1 single area when we have an entire state to hunt? I thought hunting was about doing some work, not being lazy. So quit complaining about Bernardo, get off your as* and go find some property to hunt!

Side note- I have talked with Kristen quite a bit and she is nothing like you guys are making her out to be. And to bring it to your attention, she was brought on under this position AFTER the proposals were put together. Maybe instead of reading a forum for all your info you should be more active in the community and meet people. Remember when you had to socialize face to face to learn things?? Maybe try that again and be productive instead of sniffling about 1 single refuge in an entire state.
Early in the mornin watch ducks fly, bead on my shotgun watch ducks die!
Quack-Blaster
hunter

Postby steamboat » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:03 pm

It isn't anything person with Kristen. She is probably a nice person and with honest intentions. Closing the majority of the closest refuge to Albuquerque to nearly adult hunting while also eliminating the snow goose hunts entirely and use on spinning wing decoys is pretty drastic. Why would any bird hunter in their right mind vote to close an entire refuge to adult hunting?

I am optimistic that sportsman will win on this issue by having the game commission votes down this proposal! Too many rules on books already to have yet another place closed to hunting. My dad said the entire bosque behind corralles was up to hunting 20 years ago too. Once Bernardo Refuge is closed to hunting, I bet that it will never open up again.
steamboat
hunter

Postby KHerbst » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:02 pm

Quack-Blaster wrote:I love how this has come down and everyone is getting their feathers ruffled. How many of the long time NM hunters spend the majority of their time hunting on Bernardo? I would venture to guess not many. The one point that no one has brought up is the economic influence of waterfowl hunting and how it affects rule changes. There has been an influx in duck hunters over the last 2 years that has brought a lot more pressure to Bernardo/La Joya making it over hunted and unsafe. Are you "long time" guys so hell bent on hunting Bernardo that this is going to affect you?

Why are you guys getting so upset over 1 single area when we have an entire state to hunt? I thought hunting was about doing some work, not being lazy. So quit complaining about Bernardo, get off your as* and go find some property to hunt!

Side note- I have talked with Kristen quite a bit and she is nothing like you guys are making her out to be. And to bring it to your attention, she was brought on under this position AFTER the proposals were put together. Maybe instead of reading a forum for all your info you should be more active in the community and meet people. Remember when you had to socialize face to face to learn things?? Maybe try that again and be productive instead of sniffling about 1 single refuge in an entire state.

I thought better to not weigh in here....maybe as I aged I would be less inclined to speak up when clearly the point of all this has been missed by some.

QB my friend you have made a valid point. I personally did not hunt Bernie once last year, not once the year before, I think maybe 3-4 times in 2010. The concern shared by many is the overall impact these dramatic changes (closure, evening hunts, contiguous days of hunting etc) will have on the "Micro Flyway" we have in a zone 4-8 miles wide stretching from Isleta to LJ.

You mentioned scouting which is a great point. Those on this forum who know me....know my time is split 50/50 scout vs hunt. 31 years in a blind has taught me a lot but not half of what I learned from behind a windshield or a good pair of Binocs. Through scouting I have dramatically increased my success. I don't need Bernardo or LJ to harvest my share of ducks. I need Bernardo and LJ to be managed correctly as to hold the birds over a bit longer...decreasing the chance of a flyby right to BDA.

Removing 1/2 of the area south of 60 for kids is noble but will prove to be a failure. The officials above Kristen have it all wrong.....inviting dangerous conditions through uncontrolled youth hunts, combined with flawed waterfowl hunt management...ie contiguous days of hunting both sides of the Unit 7 drain will only push the birds out, and I don't mean out to the river I mean out of the zip code.

Anyone who has attempted to hunt the refuges after a holiday will understand this phenomenon. The proposed 4-5 day hunts over the holiday will move birds out quickly......hunt days 2-3 will be dramatically shy of the first and so on. Again I applaud the youth concept maybe next time they can get an earlier start to the process and maybe consult those with experience creating and managing exceptional hunting destinations, private or public.
KHerbst
hunter

Postby Quack-Blaster » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:47 am

I think what a lot of you aren't remembering is what the intentions of closing the north side of 60 are for. From what I have heard, they are planning a massive renovation for all of the management areas down there. Possible laser leveling of the areas so that less water can flood more property. Example is LJ needs almost 6' of water on the south for a foot on the north. If its leveled, it spreads to make more hunt able area and require less water. Everyone is so concerned about THIS season. The impact of what game and fish is trying to do will make for more hunting area with management aimed more for ducks. And it's not this season that is going to correct all that. I am looking a big picture of how cherry hunts will be in a few years if we build better wetlands. That is something this state has identified and is trying to fix. As most people know, puddle ducks need a foot to 18" of water.. if we build most of the wetlands to have that measure it creates more of an opportunity. More forward thinking instead of complaining can really help all of us out. And to touch on that no motion decoys.. Learn to call and set a spread, maybe that's the lesson you need this year. Work for your birds.
Quack-Blaster
hunter

Postby KHerbst » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:23 pm

QB,

That would be great and make for superior hunting 5-10 years down the road and beyond. Do you know what timeline they are working on and where they plan on getting the funds to make it happen? I am surprised the Chief of Wildlife didn't share a bit of that plan at the meeting last Monday. That would have made for a great lead in/ice breaker.

Hope it happens.......long term planning is exactly what we need.
KHerbst
hunter

Postby Quack-Blaster » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:38 pm

Time volunteering from waterfowlers like you! Every hour donated the state pays almost $19 so think of it this way. Donate 60 hours a year and you give the wetlands $1,100. That's half a Saturday a month. Suppose we had 20 hunters do that? Not to mention the man power we create. I have heard it could be 5 years or so. But from the people I've spoken with I hear that this could be coming, hence the rule changes. This is why I get so frustrated with everyone running their mouths instead of trying to get involved.
Quack-Blaster
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:05 am

Does anyone know why there is no mention of scaup limits in the proposal? I know that the Central flyway is only allowed to grant up to 3 and I think that the Pac flyway is supposed to have a shortened season on them. The way those regs are written, we can kill 6 bluebills a day, which isn't true. I also don't understand why we can't get a full 16 day(I think that's what the full allotment is) teal season.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:46 am

QB,

You've been officially nominated PR person of the year for our NMG&F, since your information tree obviously has a forward moving agenda :clapping: . One question does come to mind though, does 18" of water freeze thicker and quicker then 6' of water? And is BDA planning on leveling to 18" as well? If so, on our first real freeze we can all say "Adios Patos" because they'll be vacationing in Mexico. Is Mexico really where we want OUR birds? This would definitely take the burden of management and law enforcement out of the hands of our Game Dept.
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:59 am

I would think that while a lazer-leveled 18" sounds great, like Blackfoot alluded to, we need some deeper holes. Not too mention, we have divers that winter here too, so some holes that might be 36" or so would be nice also. I'm sure that those deeper holes stay wet longer after the draining, which probably causes some different plants to grow(or not grow) which gives more feed options for ducks. Just trying to throw out another POV.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Previous

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting