bernardo snow goose

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

bernardo snow goose

Postby JH » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:39 am

howdy all my brother drew this youth only snow goose hunt on bernardo, i was wonderin if y'all could give me any pointers, ideas, or suggestions, i have never hunted at bernardo before, or for geese, so its gonna be a new one for me
JH
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:28 am

Hey JH,

You will be hunting in a blind, most likely a box like enclosure over a concrete drainage ditch. Find some camo material to cover the blind. Second, you will need decoys - snows of course, maybe come confidence decoys. Texas rags are good for building up a spread and some shells to fill in around the blind. There are many methods of placing them, tear drop shape is one, I like an X with the blind at the bottom near where the X crosses. Don't put the decoys too close (frightened birds huddle up) about five to ten feet from each other and family groups a little further apart. Family groups are three to five birds. Lastly, get a snow goose call and practice. It is not hard. Just say "Haw" into it. Snows are vocal; they have murmurs, yelps and barks. There are some CD's out there that cover it and some web sites, too. Other stuff like flags and string o wings such can help. The most important thing, Luck.

Have fun!
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby 30 caliber » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:13 am

:getdown: I drew for the Dec. 31 st hunt . My first goose hunt. I am borrowing a dozen full body dekes, but will have to either borrow more dekes or try making some rags myself. ( Finances do not permit buying them). Any tips on that? :help:
30 caliber
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:37 am

Hey 30 C.,

Make some silos for your spread. We just had an election and you may find some cloroplast signs around still hanging on fences or posted on corners. Make a template and cut them out, paint them flat white and your good to go. You can also check out grocery stores with all the signage that they throw away.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby 30 caliber » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:06 pm

Escopeton, thanks for the reply and the advice. I know what silos are, but this being my first goose hunt and all, I don't know how big to make them or how to rig them in relation to the decoys. :oops: Any more advice or links to other sites with examples would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again and good hunting and fishing.
30 caliber
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:53 am

I did a search on the internet and found a graph to make a pattern. I used the same pattern to make a feeder, resting and sentry. They came out just a little larger than lifesize which was fine with me. I stick them in the ground with a small bamboo garden stake from Home Depot. Place them further back in your spread from the direction the geese will approach and place them at different angles, let's say; 30 degrees, sixty degrees and ninety degrees in relation to your blind.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby 30 caliber » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:29 pm

:salude: Thanks Escopeton; you have been very helpful. I hope you are having a great hunting season. :thumbsup:
30 caliber
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting