Rio Grande River Access

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

Rio Grande River Access

Postby RandyG » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:49 am

Hello, new to forum and maybe you all have discussed this. Duck hunted along Rio Grande River yesterday. However, soon learned I was trespassing. The International Boundary and Canal Commissioned has signed the lands (south of TorC). My friend, who was with me, decoyed on several spots last year (and did well) and did not see any postings. Is this new, is the Rio Grande not off for hunting or fishing?
RandyG
Newb

Postby Escopeton » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:41 am

That sounds a little fishy to me. It is like the Conservancy calling the area around here, theirs. They are just wardens for the public.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby crumplem » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:43 am

Don't know if they have property rights or authority, but this is from their website:

"The Rio Grande Project furnishes a full irrigation water supply for about 178,000 acres of land and electric power for communities and industries in the area. Drainage water from project lands provides a supplemental supply for about 18,000 acres in Hudspeth County, Texas. Project lands occupy the river bottom land of the Rio Grande Valley in south-central New Mexico and west Texas.[/b] About 60 percent of the lands receiving water are in New Mexico; 40 percent are in Texas. Water is also provided for diversion to Mexico by the International Boundary and Water Commission-United States Section to irrigate about 25,000 acres in the Juarez Valley.

Physical features of the project include Elephant Butte and Caballo Dams, 6 diversion dams, 139 miles of canals, 457 miles of laterals, 465 miles of drains, and a hydroelectric powerplant. The project is operated as two divisions: The Water and Land Division, and the Power and Storage Division. "

Did someone run you off?
crumplem
hunter

Postby RandyG » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:04 pm

Thanks, nobody ran us off. But then we did not see anyone. They have signed all the entrances to the levee roads from Arrey to south of Hatch (that is all we checked out yesterdsay). They are large, new signs. You can not miss them. They were not there last year and folks used to jump shoot or spread decoys in good spots. Others would quail or dove hunt along the floodplain between the levees. I will call them tomorrow and find out what is up. Disappoiting because now that I am moving back to NM I had long anticpated that would be my close duck hunting spot. I doubt that I will like their answer but I am very curious as to why!
RandyG
Newb

Postby lindschesapeake » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:19 am

Try contacting the Game and Fish officer in that area. I forget the guys name but he is out of TorC and hell hunts ducks so he should have some idea on what is up.

I didn't see tose signs last year and I hope we can still work the RG down there.
lindschesapeake
hunter

Postby RandyG » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:27 pm

It appears it has been posted a long time. To keep beer drinking and trashing throwers out. However, Game and Fish does not enforce it nor to the local authorities as long as it is just folks recreating vrs trashing.
RandyG
Newb

Postby lindschesapeake » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:34 am

Hey thanks RandyG for checking that out. Do you happen to go looking for Quail while you were down that way?
Lindsey
lindschesapeake
hunter

Postby ghostingrey » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:05 am

I just got back from a trip down to the Lordsburg area. There were good #'s of scalies down there but they are easier to find than to actually catch. Those little buggers are fast! Still lots of dove down that way to.
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Postby vlb » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:29 am

ghostingrey

Did you see any snakes while hunting in Lordsburg?
vlb
hunter

Postby ghostingrey » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:55 pm

No i didn't see any snakes, or any reptiles for that matter. I wouldn't worry too much about them this time of year, they should be hibernating.
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Re: Rio Grande River Access

Postby MaxS » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:12 pm

RandyG wrote:Hello, new to forum and maybe you all have discussed this. Duck hunted along Rio Grande River yesterday. However, soon learned I was trespassing. The International Boundary and Canal Commissioned has signed the lands (south of TorC). My friend, who was with me, decoyed on several spots last year (and did well) and did not see any postings. Is this new, is the Rio Grande not off for hunting or fishing?

I've heard conflicting things myself about whether hunting the banks of the Rio Grande in NM is legal or not. Has anybody found out whether it's illegal, technically illegal but never enforced, or (worst case) illegal and enforced? If not, I'll make some phone calls myself to find out for sure.
MaxS
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting