New guy in Albuquerque

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

New guy in Albuquerque

Postby sagebel » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:25 pm

Hi everyone. Just moved to Albuquerque and looking to get back into duck/goose hunting. Haven't done it in about 17 years. At this point I have a shotgun and that is about it. I do have some money that I can spend and the wife is ready for it. I am looking for someone to hunt with. I have a crew cab truck and I am willing to travel a couple hours to hunt.

How cold does it get? Do I need heavily insulated waders or will a mid-weight suffice? Currently looking at a few of the high end waders from Cabela's.

What camo patterns are most effective here in the SW? (All of my previous hunting has been in Western New York state on our farm)

Where can I buy gear locally? I have found Sportsman's Warehouse. Is there anywhere else?
sagebel
hunter

Re: New guy in Albuquerque

Postby vlb » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:17 pm

It all depends on how cold a winter we might have.
vlb
hunter

Postby Rivr2319 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:47 pm

I hear this Winter is going to be quite a chiller.
KUPT UP AND KOMMITED
TAKE EM'!!!
Rivr2319
hunter

Postby sagebel » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:15 am

Thanks guys. I have plenty of warm clothing just need some outer layers to break up the colors. I'll probably look at Sportsman's and ***** this weekend.
sagebel
hunter

Postby Quack-Smash » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:31 am

Looking at *****? :yes:
Quack-Smash
hunter

Postby sagebel » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:02 am

Quack-Smash wrote:Looking at *****? :yes:

I wondered if that was going to come back to me when I typed it. :oops:
sagebel
hunter

Postby Quack-Smash » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:28 am

:thumbsup:
Quack-Smash
hunter

Postby PeterJarmo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:28 pm

Welcome back to waterfowling. I'd recommend Max 4 camo for out here. I got some of the cabela's moon boot type heavy insulated waders a few years ago and thats what I'l recommend you get. I've got a lighter pair of frog toggers but I only use those in the very beginning and end of the season. It can get pretty chilly here in Dec./Jan. and depending on whether or not you have a dog you may be spending a bit of time in the water. I've broken lots of ice in January... And locally, Sportsmans is the way to go, ****'s waterfowl section is very small.. Have a fun season.
PeterJarmo
hunter

Postby sagebel » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:13 pm

Thanks Peter. No dog. Just waders and a fishing pole. I guess I don't need to go look at ****'s now. :lol3:
sagebel
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:01 am

Max-4 sticks out like a sore thumb pretty much everywhere. Find someone with a Max-4 jacket, hang it in some reeds/grass/where ever you're going to hunt, and then walk about 100 yards away from it(that being said, my waders are Max-4 because I was in a pinch and that's all I could find). Camo really isn't that important though. I wear anything from plain ol' browns, greens, or tans to Realtree AP to MO Brush, and everything in between.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

RIO GRAND

Postby M2005M » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:06 am

HUNT THE RIVER .THERE'S A ROAD THAT RUNS EAST TO WEST IT RUN'S RIGHI BERNADO REFUGE GO TO THE RIVER THERE ROADS ON BOTH SIDE'S OF THE RIVER.IF YOU GO SOUTH THERE NO GATE. IF YOU GO NORTH THERE IS A GATE.YOU NEED TO GO TO THE WATER CONERVTORY. IN LOS LUNES. IT USED TO COST 25.00 FOR THE SEASON.I USED TO LIVE N M BUT MOVED TO SOUTH DAKOTA 8 YEARS AGO THAT WHY I TELLING YOU THIS INFORMATION.THE HUNTING ON THE RIO CAN BE GREAT.YOU BETTER GET A GOOD DOG OR YOU WILL MOST OF YOUR DUCKS FLOATING DOWN THE RIVER GOOD LUCK.
M2005M
hunter

Postby FastPine » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:10 pm

Yes, the water conervtory....go there.. :lol:
Blasting holes in the night till she bled sunshine..
FastPine
hunter

Postby sagebel » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:04 pm

:huh: :huh:
sagebel
hunter

Postby TexasMallard10 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:06 pm

FastPine wrote:Yes, the water conervtory....go there.. :lol:

Haha at least someone is on the same page as me
TexasMallard10
hunter

Postby QuackMastet870 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:35 pm

Unless you order gear, Sportsman's is the best place around here. As far a temperatures, it can get quite chilly during the mid to late season. I bought my waders at Sportsman's and love them. 1,600 gram Thinsulate. With those, thermals, and sweatpants, I stay toasty. As for the gate access key, the price for the first year is $35, and $25 each subsequent year that you turn it in to them. The conservancy office is in Belen behind the National Guard Armory. Easy to find. If you're coming from Abq., try hitting the river in Los Lunas on the west side, just next to the park. Head south, and there are a few turn-ins, off the levee road that lead you pretty close to the river. Only problem is that everyone else from Abq. likes that easy-access area, too, so you better hit it EARLY in the mornings if you want a decent spot. The hunters are usually pretty thick in there. Good luck!
QuackMastet870
Newb

Postby sagebel » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:15 am

I've put together most of the stuff that I need between the classifieds here and craigslist. I took a drive down to the ponds last weekend to look around. I am still waiting for my leg to heal a little more before I get out and hunt. I got rid of the walking boot this week so it shouldn't be long now.
sagebel
hunter

Postby Rivr2319 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:41 pm

That's great to hear man. If you ever need a hunting bud I'm available. In the progress of getting a gun atm but calling them in is just as fun!

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk
KUPT UP AND KOMMITED
TAKE EM'!!!
Rivr2319
hunter

Postby sagebel » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:25 pm

Rivr2319 wrote:That's great to hear man. If you ever need a hunting bud I'm available. In the progress of getting a gun atm but calling them in is just as fun!

Let me know when you are available. I try to hunt one day every weekend and sometimes once during the week. I'll be out of town for work from 6-17 Dec. ish. I've been getting birds but I'm still trying to figure out stuff like calling, setting decoys, and picking spots. It's more enjoyable now that my leg is close to being 100%.
sagebel
hunter

Postby Rivr2319 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:09 pm

Well I'm your man for that brother! Once I pickup my schedule tomorrow from work, I'll post it so we can work something out. You live in Albuquerque?

KUPT UP AND KOMMITED
TAKE EM'!!!
Rivr2319
hunter

Postby sagebel » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:28 pm

PM sent.
sagebel
hunter

Postby Golf7826 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:42 pm

I'm new duck hunting or hunting in general to NM. I just got a shotgun a few months back. I got a few decoys I've hit a few spots around south Belen/ the ponds la joya but no luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Golf7826
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting