Nice three days

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, quackadikt, ghostingrey

Nice three days

Postby lindschesapeake » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:45 pm

Pheasants on Friday, ducks down south along with a few quail and a dove on Saturday. Paid up on my dues to the Sky Blasters Club and got the golden BB on a Snow plus a few more ducks for Sunday. Just got home an hour ago so good night.
lindschesapeake
hunter

Postby ghostingrey » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:15 pm

I'm glad to hear someone made it out for pheasant, any luck? I had a good day down at La Joya on Sunday. Two of us got our limits but it took all morning, which was actually kinda nice. Ended up with a mixed bag of mallards, spoonies, widgeon, gadwall, and ringnecks. I'm still bothered by the number of people shooting at pintails down there though. I actually went and talked to a group that shot two, they claimed they thought they were mallards, which kinda surprised me. At least they said they wouldn't shoot anymore.
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Postby lindschesapeake » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:50 pm

Two of us got our limit of 3 birds each which took pretty much all day. We hunted down in socorro county walking the back ditches and thick areas near crop fields. I estimate we spent 6 hours working both my dogs. The pup, Rudy, really got wound up and even wilder than I like. That is why I went out on Sunday with him on the river and shot only birds that he saw and then would make him sit and not retrieve until he was sent. Which could take 5 minutes or more if the bird hit on an island The first group of that came I missed so that I could jump all over Rudy if he broke and he did. He got the idea after that and was pretty steady for the rest of the morning.

I was surprised by the number of snows cruising the river on Sunday. I lucked out and got the golden bb in the head on one. Also, Paid up on my sky busting dues.
lindschesapeake
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting