equipment for duck hunting.

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

equipment for duck hunting.

Postby fito » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:54 pm

:salude: happy chrismas everyone

Need to know what to buy for next year.

What kind and how much equipment do you guys hunt with : (decoys, calls, robots, chokes, etc)

What would you buy if you had the money.
fito
hunter

Postby randy marci » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:15 pm

i put out about 95-120 duck decoys a day and 4 spinners. sometimes i bring my vortex when i use my boat. i shoot an extended range patternmaster with 3-1/2" hevi-shot dead-coyote. for calls i carry 6 mallard calls and a 6 in 1 whistle. i use mostly cheapies from wal-mart but i do own a poly double nasty from buck gardner. it's too pretty to take in the field tho. if i had more money i'd invest it into that fake corn stuff from avery and probably some of that new duck attractor scent. then i'd have all my decoys painted with that special u.v. paint that is all the rage. i'd also buy a new camo jacket. the snow camo one that i use now flares the birds most days, but in a driving snow storm, lookout. for waders i use a canvas pair of hip boots i picked up this year. they sure are alot nicer than just wearing your tennis shoes out like the old days. any other questions, just ask. oh, almost forgot, you can get all this stuff at that new sportsman's warehouse in las cruces. good luck and feliz navidad :thumbsup:
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby fito » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:01 pm

:salude: thats a lot of equipment, nice :thumbsup: ,
Where i live, ducks have not ever been decoy, by anybody, they are really dumb, yesterday I jump shooted, some of them and the ones that got away landed about 60 yards from me, i kept shooting at them and they were flying only 60 yards and landing, nobody hunts in my town and we have a huge river so ducks are not educated at all.
I have never decoy them, but I want to try, right now I only own 1 dozen GHG hot buy and 2 primos mallard calls, what do you recommend i get, 300 usd tops.

the river has mostly woodys, green and blue teal, gadwall and some mallards and pintail.
thakns
fito
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:56 am

Fito,

My first important article of equipment is, for me, a trained retriever.

I usually take with me a dozen decoys, one motion decoy amoung them. If I can drive up to the place I can hunt, a motion duck butt decoy. I take about a dozen duck silos with me, too. Some camo material for a makeshift blind and a bucket to sit on (in the bucket I take shells, snacks, water and sometimes coffee). My camo is whatever is clean at the moment. I fire a 870 with three inch shells firing number 3 shot with a mod choke. My lanyard has three calls on it; RNT hunter, T-bone Canada, H&S snow and lastly a whistle for the dog.

If you are looking at buying a call, look at single reed (if you are familiar with using one) or a DR85 if you like double reeds. Another dozen of decoys will do you well, maybe a motion decoy.

Fito, ¿A donde cazas los patos?
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby lindschesapeake » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:00 am

Well, I'll chime in here. Randy is hard core and you can spend a lot of $ which I'm sure he has over the years but he has a hard-core passion for the sport. That you can tell from his eq. list and his posts

Mr. Tom is right in saying you need a good bird dog and it really doesn't have to be a retriever especially since you live in the SW where other forms of bird hunting can be very good. One of the best duck dogs I have ever shot over was a German Shorthair. But a good sold bird dog is what is needed and time spent training.

So my list is the following:

1 A very good bird dog - I have Chesapeakes and I find they have a hard time when the weather is too warm but I hunt not only in NM but other parts of the country where it is butt ugly cold and Chesapeakes are not backing down from much of anything. That said a bird dog from a solid line is what you want.

2. Invest into a few good calls (duck, geese) and learn how to call. Practice, practice and practice. I will go out on the river before work for an hour or two with one hen decoy on a jerk cord and call birds in. Same for geese, even though in this state it has limited opportunities.

3. Invest in the top quality decoys. At times ebay will have some good buys. Slowly add to your collection over the years. I use from a single duck to a big spread of C geese in the field. It all depends on what you are doing. Motion decoys work and I hate to say it I have one and use when needed. I would like to see them outlawed and in states that don't allow them the hunters that know duck hunting do the best. Anybody can throw a motion decoy out and attract ducks but learning where, how many to use and calling is an art that is only learned by paying attention.

4. Depending on how serious you are a boat is nice or a duck skiff that you can portage into an area. I have a boat, canoe and skiffs. My favorites are the skiffs.

However, the most important thing to spend time and money on is learning the areas you want to hunt. As years pass you will find by keeping a log you will spend less time trying to find birds and more time in the blind. For those of us that have a passion for bird hunting it doesn’t stop at the end of the season. It is year round. That is why a bird dog is nice to have. My dogs keep me young and going hard
lindschesapeake
hunter

Postby fito » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:39 am

:salude: I hunt in my home town, Camargo, it is about 200 miles south from El Paso Tx. I usually hunt snows, we get lots of them on a big lake, about 5 or six times bigger than elephant lake, I have a boat and we usually jump shoot them. Again we are one of the few people that ever shoot at them.

Lately looking at the river, i been seeing a lot of duck activity and decided to get into duck hunting, and that is what a will defenitly do next year.

That is why I need to know what equipment should I get on my budget.

thanks
fito
hunter

Postby fito » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:47 am

what do you mean by motion decoys, mojos or the ones that swim around?
fito
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:07 pm

Fito,

Mojos are a type of motion decoy. I have a hen decoy that I put in a wacky weasel (un juguete) that causes it to move around. My duck butt decoy is a feeder decoy that I attached a bilge pump with a truck flasher and use an old car battery for power - makes a lot of waves.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby randy marci » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:45 pm

fito, please take my post toungue in cheek. i hunted this morning and put out 11 decoys. i shoot a skeet choke and 3" fasteel 6's or 4's. i was merely trying to bring a little bit of laughs to the forum......the scary thing is no one found it funny. the most important thing you're gonna have to learn to do is scout. if you aren't where the birds want to be all the rest won't matter. for calls, i suggest you start out with a double reed. it's a duck call with "training wheels" of sorts. as mentioned a good retriever is a must. any other questions, let us know. i'll try and be serious, but it's been a long season already and i sometimes type stuff for my own personal entertainment. especially when working on a lack of sleep. good luck to you.
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby 30 caliber » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:27 pm

:salude: I just ordered a collapsible game cart from Cabela's to haul all the decoys. I went out the other day and tried to carry 1 1/2 dozen decoys, the blind bag, a folding tripod thing to sit on and the shotgun. It was miserable. When I got back home, I weighed it all, just out of curiousity. 67 pounds :eek: That is almost half of what I weigh. Hence, the game cart. Bad part is that it won't be here until Jan. 10th.
30 caliber
hunter

Postby fito » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:23 pm

:salude: this is what i got so far, let me know what you guys think.

6 gadwall decoys ( carry lite) $27.99
6 wood duck decoys ( carry lite) $27.99
wood duck call (hydels) $9.99
paint tail call (hydels) $8.99
baby mojo $64.99
air lucky $24.99
pair of decoy butts (carry lite) 13.99
waders 2 play non neuprane but it aint that cold where i hunt $59.99
quiver magnet HO2 to make waves $9.99

total $248.91

As a told you before i already have 12 ghg mallards and 2 primos mallard calls double and single reed.

I figure that if I put the end of some fishing line in one end of the wing of the mojo and the other end on the wing of the air luky i will have 2 spiners working, wind or no wind. and the second one will just cost $25 usd. havent try it but i think it will work, and you can put them as far as you want, the fishing line will transfer the spining of the mojo to the air lucky.

let me know what you guys think about my spread. are you :thumbsup: or :thumbsdown: thanks
fito
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:13 pm

I am surprised no one has chimed in. So, I will. All your equipment sounds good. I don't think you need a air lucky, your mojo will suffice. Get proficient with your duck calling, I use my RNT almost exclusively. You don't have to try a duck calling contest routine but good quacks, clucks, feed call, and a hail call will bring in birds. Also, scout your area out well and find out where the ducks like to frequent; resting, feeding, etc.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate in asking here.

Happy New Year to you and other from the NM board.

Hasta Prontito,...
Escopeton
hunter

Postby ghostingrey » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:16 pm

Well Escopeten summed it up pretty well. Sound like you have a solid set of gear. I'd be careful trying to rig up the mojo to the air lucky. I'm envisioning fishing line getting tangled in the wings, you don't want to ruin that mojo. Good luck out there and happy new year
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Postby fito » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:24 pm

thanks for the advice guys :thumbsup:

something else, there is not that much mallards where I hunt, mostly teal, wood duck and paint tail, also some gadwall.

what calls would you recomend, would the mallard call work for every duck or should I get a call for each kind of duck.

thanks.
fito
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:06 am

A lot of ducks will respond to a mallard call and a good decoy set up. Use the mallard call as your primary and get a 6 in one call. The 6 in one call does a good teal, pintail and woodie.

Remember bad calling is worse than no calling.
Escopeton
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting