Estancia valley crane hunt

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Estancia valley crane hunt

Postby PeterJarmo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:57 pm

So I put in for the estancia crane hunt as my 3rd choice and drew it, usually wouldn't put in in if I didn't know the area but my available dates were limited so I figured it was better than nothing...
Any tips anyone cares to share? seems like mostly private land and not much water. Is it all about getting trespass access or are there any public lands out there with cranes?
Thanks for any ideas
PeterJarmo
hunter

Re: Estancia valley crane hunt

Postby quackadikt » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Don't know about up there, but for the SW hunt you just go knock on doors. Pretty easy to get permission down south.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby PeterJarmo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:35 pm

Yeah that what I'm thinking is going to happen. I went scouting some open gate land out there with some corn fields but it was just one of many many corn fields so I guess I'll just have to see where the cranes are on a given day and knock on the door...
PeterJarmo
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:44 am

I also drew for the crane hunt in Estancia Valley. Looks like I may have to do some scouting to become familiar with it. I also drew for the pheasant hunt in Huey.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting