Duck Hunting Forum banner

New to NM hunting

9K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Duckman55855 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,
I currently live in Alamogordo and looking at trying to find some good duck/goose hunting down here. Originally from Minnesota where you can find a pond with permission or a WMA within 30 minutes of where you live in a matter of seconds, but down here all I have really heard of down here in Southern NM is Bitter Lake area, and Brantley/7 Rivers WMA's. Both of which are around 2.5 hours away. Have heard of some areas just outside of cruces, but don't know what areas are legal and what is private land. Possibly looking for a hunting buddy/group that knows the area so I can show my friend (introducing him to hunting/waterfowling for the first time) how much fun the outdoors can be. Any help you can offer would be great, not looking to steal anyone's spot, just wanna share that love of duck hunting that I found.

#2 ·
Well before you head over to Cruces, be prepared to find a dry river bed from the state line back north about 80 miles. No other water over here. I'd start checking out that eastern side of the state if I were you. The monsoons filled up most of the lakes on the east side of the state, and there are geese to be had up around the Roswell/Portales area in peanut fields. Don't forget about the cranes either. Good luck, and start saving some gas money.

#3 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I had dove hunted the cruces area last year and saw several flying so just thought it might be worth checking out. And you mentioned there are geese up in the roswell area by the peanut fields. Does this include ducks? And are you hunting the fields, or the bodies of water waiting for them? Also not too familiar with the bodies of water around here, but are they mostly wader'able or do I need to start looking at a possible boat (don't have a dog).

#4 ·
Never actually hunted over there, but lots of ducks are killed in fields(including peanut fields) in several other nearby states, so I don't see why it would be any different here. Don't know about the lakes either, but I would propose you look into a boat, even if it's just a flat-back canoe and a little outboard.

The ducks in the Cruces area are usually gone after Sept/early Oct because that's when the irrigating stops around here.

#5 ·
You might want to look into getting the hunt access for Fort Bliss. I was out there in September antelope hunting. They got lots of rain and all the cow ponds were full. There were tons of dove and teal on all the ponds. Basically off of NM 506 ontop of the mesa. Its probably a 30-45 minute drive for you. Hope this helps.

HLM

#6 ·
I actually lucked out for the moment, although it's about only every other weekend, Holloman AFB has a small lake/pond open to the military on base. Only sizable water in our little valley and upon scouting it, hundreds of ducks and coots were chillen on it Monday. Wish it were open every weekend, but at least something closer than over near Carlsbad. Still looking to make a trip out to Roswell sometime this year though!

#7 ·
Good deal man. Good luck, and show us some straps when you start killing them. :thumbsup:

#9 ·
Nothing wrong with that at all. Nice hunt.

#10 ·
Why don't you try name dropping via PM instead of posting spots all over the internet for the world to see? Just because you don't still have to hunt here doesn't mean that nobody else does.

#12 ·
Hi all, I do a fair amount of hunting in Carlsbad and Roswell up on the rio grande, Caballo etc. There is great hunting to be had if you put the time in. I live in the four corners area and I work down south a lot so I try to hunt when I get spare time off...
I agree us duck hunters need to respect others and there spots. I wish more people had that mind set... It ruins some of the limited water access we have in NM...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.