Lower Rio Grande Valley

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: ghostingrey, randy marci, quackadikt

Lower Rio Grande Valley

Postby MaxS » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:11 pm

Hi,

I recently moved to El Paso, and I'm told that there are some duck hunting opportunities to be had in New Mexico. Apart from the public hunting areas below Caballo and Elephant Butte, are there areas where one can hunt ducks and geese on the lower Rio Grande? For example, I see a lot of ducks along the irrigation canals below Las Cruces, and I wonder if any of those areas can be hunted.

Thanks in advance for any information, as I'm new to the area.

- MaxS
MaxS
hunter

Postby Dirt » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:28 pm

Max,
You might check w/the city there and find out. A good
friend of mine had his shotgun taken away quite a while back
for hunting inside the city limits on the river.
I know there are some guys that hunt ducks somewhere down
there though.
Good Luck
Dirt
hunter

Postby fito » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:24 pm

:welcome: I live in Juarez, so let me know if you find something or if you need a partner :thumbsup:
fito
hunter

fito

Postby MaxS » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:18 pm

fito -

I wish that I had done my homework before the season started to wind down. However, if you know some places to go, let's get together and do some hunting. Drop me a pm if you like.

I've noticed that a lot of people seem to shoot and hunt the drains in El Paso below the sewage treatment plant and Rio Bosque Park (not in the park itself, which is a wildlife refuge, but just below it). I haven't tried it yet, the thought of eating ducks that were swimming in sewage doesn't really appeal to me. I'm still waiting on a friend who used to hunt some of the drains below las cruces to tell me the details of where he went.
MaxS
hunter

Postby JH » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:29 pm

hey i live down in las cruces, and know some areas around there i usually go, i will be back down there this week, so if ya guys come up give me a hollar maybe we can get something going on the last weekend!!!!
JH
hunter

Postby MaxS » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:43 am

JH wrote:hey i live down in las cruces, and know some areas around there i usually go, i will be back down there this week, so if ya guys come up give me a hollar maybe we can get something going on the last weekend!!!!

Sounds good. I may take you up on your offer.
MaxS
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting