Duck Recipes

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: ghostingrey, randy marci, quackadikt

Duck Recipes

Postby Ex-Cajun » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:42 am

Anyone care to share a few of thier favorite recipes?
I' sure you've heard the old "tried and true" of putting a slice or a small jalepeno pepper in a breast, wrap with bacon and grill, but lets get creative here!
Thanks in advance.
If you haven't heard about the bacon wrap one, it's not much more than that and has a few variations. I'm going to try a slice of pablano pepper, a stick of Asiago cheeze, some garlic powder, an onion wedge after marinating in Wishbone Italian Dressing. Then wrap with bacon and grill.

And for you creative chef's out there, try this:

Grand Marnier Duck Breast

8 small breast halves (4 large halves ex: Mallard, Pintail, etc.) I use Teal.
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper (or in lieu of salt and pepper, 4 teaspoons of Tony Chachere's)
1 Tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons margerine/butter
2 chopped green onions (fiine)
1/4 cup Grand Marnier
1 teaspoon of orange marmalaid or juice of 1/2 orange and some grated peel
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup chicken stock
flour if needed
Nonstick cookiing spray

Score breast diagonally with knife. Rub well with mixture of lemon juice, salt, pepper, and honey. Coat skillet with cooking spray, add margarine, and place over medium-high heat until hot. Brown duck on all sides, decrease heat and saute' for 12-13 min (20 for large breast) turning occasionally. Transfer to heated platter and keep warm. Respray skillet with cooking spray and saute' green onions 2-3 minutes. Add Grande Marnier, marmalaid, wine, and stock; cook until reduced by half. Add flour to thicken if necessary. Pour sauce over duck breast and serve.
Yields 4 servings.
I add a couple of side to this dish to finish it off. Cubed and boiled new potatoes finished with melted butter and fresh chopped parsley and either steamed and seasoned artichoke or asparagus topped with a lemon dill sauce.

If there's one thing I learned about cooking in Louisiana, it's this:
"You don't know how to cook, you don't get laid"

ENJOY
Ex-Cajun
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:42 pm

Sounds good.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby Jimmy_K » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:19 pm

My brother and I bagged a bunch of gadwalls on the river by bernardo and made this gumbo with 'em.

8 - Duck breast halves
2 - Qt chicken stock
4 - links andouille sausage
4 - cloves garlic
1 - lb okra - fresh if possible
4 - large tomatoes
2 - ribs celery
1 - large green bell pepper
1 - yellow onion
2 - Tblspn vegatable oil
1 - Tblspn flour
1/2 - tsp cayenne pepper
2 - bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste

Dice the onion, celery bell pepper and tomatoes. Slice the duck breasts
and andouille into 1/4 inch or so cubes. Slice the okra if fresh. Heat oil in bottom of stock pan then add flour and stir constantly to make a roux base. When the roux is done(should be the color of dark chocolate) add the diced onion, celery, garlic, cayenne and bell pepper. Salt and pepper to taste. When the onions are translucent add the diced duck breast and andouille sausage. After the duck is browned on all sides add the chicken broth, okra, tomatoes and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 45min. Serve over rice and enjoy
Jimmy_K
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting