last hunt of first season

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: ghostingrey, randy marci, quackadikt

last hunt of first season

Postby ninja99 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:55 pm

last hunt of the first season. 3 green-winged teal (one female not shown) and 2 shovelers. i definately cant wait until next season. this first season was a learning experience. next year, i'll definately be ready. so did anyone else go out on the last day? also, how does shoveler copare to other duck(taste wise)?

[/code]
ninja99
hunter

Postby Ex-Cajun » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:49 pm

The shovelers are going to taste a bit fishy compared to the teal. Try something with lots of pepper and garlic to hide the taste. Or like I've heard before, anything makes good sausage if you add enough pork to it.
But seriously, try a recipe that doesn't feature the taste of the meat. On a scale of 1-10 I'd rate them like this. (My opinion only, feel free you guys to chime in with your own opinions)

10 - Wood duck
9 - Teal, Ruddy duck & Redhead
8 - Mallard
7.5 - Gadwall, Specklebelly & Sandhill Crane
7 - Widgeon & Golden Eye
5 - Spoonie/Shoveler
4 - Canada Goose
3.5 - Snow, & Ross Goose
1 - Coot (yes, I tried it but my nose told me not to! He went in the
garbage before I did my tastebuds permenent damage) I've never tried Merganzer but I heard it was not too palatable either.

If you know how to "Blacken" meat with an iron skillet, I'd try that and sear the $hit out of it.
Ex-Cajun
hunter

Postby Minnesota Boy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:13 pm

We did about the same, but with a bunch of ringnecks. They came in like gangbusters, droppin out of the sky into the the dekes. Id say a 5 is generous on the Spoonies though.
Minnesota Boy
hunter

Postby Jimmy_K » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:30 pm

My brother shot a coot a couple of weeks back and when we were cleaning our bag we threw that thing in the garbage. It was harder than hell getting the feathers off it. Funny green feet though. My brother in law and I shot some merganzers at Elephant Butte a few years back and they tasted terrible!! I will never shoot another merganzer in my life :eek:
Jimmy_K
hunter

Postby ninja99 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:09 pm

thanks for the heads up on the spoonies. maybe i'll try something that involves marinading. i've never had merganser, but i wonder, what makes it so bad?
ninja99
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting