New Mexico Waterfowl Outfitters

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

New Mexico Waterfowl Outfitters

Postby prairieducks » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:57 pm

I am curious as if there are any guiding operations for waterfowl in New Mexico? From what I've heard, the past few years have seen some quality duck hunting in the state. I'm a South Dakota native currently working in Northern Arizona and would enjoy any information that any of you could provide.

Thank you...
prairieducks
hunter

Postby Dirt » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:10 pm

I've heard of one guy who guides for disabled veterans of Afghan
and Iraq wars somehow through the government. Thats what I
heard anyhow, other than that havent heard of any. I think NM hunters did indeed have some quality days and along with those plenty of bad
ones.
Dirt
hunter

Postby ghostingrey » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:13 pm

There is an outfitter called Santa Fe Guiding Co. Bob King and his wife run the outfit. I think he focuses mostly on quail and other upland birds but the website does mention waterfowl hunts. They are a well established and respected organization. Hope that helps
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Postby grayfox » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:15 pm

Hey Prairieduck,
where did you hunt living in Dakota? I have fond memories of ducks and mostly pheasants in the lake region of SD.
Did you duck hunt in Ariz?

Grayfox
grayfox
hunter

Postby prairieducks » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:01 pm

Grayfox -

I spent a lot of time in the NE part of the state (Webster, Waubay, Watertown, Sisseton, etc) and really miss those days! I've come down to AZ to go to grad school, so hopefully I'll be heading back that direction sometime in the near future. I was able to get out when my my soon-to-be wife and I returned home for Christmas this past December.

I did get out in AZ a few times, but school has kept me too busy to really get in a sufficient amount of scouting. How are things in New Mexico? I'm going to try and get over there next year sometime. I don't know if the opportunity will ever present itself for me to be this close to duck hunting in the Southwest ever again...

Where were you in SD? I'd enjoy hearing your stories of Dakota waterfowling...

jp
prairieducks
hunter

Postby grayfox » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:38 am

Prairieducks,
Sorry, I've been in Fla. so I've been too busy to respond. Last week, the RG valley snows headed north. The count went from something 25K to 5k if I'm not mistaken. If you read the old bible, "Ducks Geese &Swans of NA", there were about 3k that wintered here in 1960s, then to 9k by 1972. So they've found a new home. I hunted at Sand Lake in SD as a kid where we'd get a hundred thousand briefly in the fall. Had unforgettable duck hunting when I went to State, but didn't have decoys then. Would give anything to go try again in those uncrowded sloughs. let me know your email & we can share more. Have a friend who taught school in Bristol and he was often invited to prime areas there. That area must be a real wonderland-except for winter.
Of course, the pheasant hunting was phenomenal. I think every single HS buddy hunted them. Duck hunting was far behind, but better than here.
The nice thing down here is hunting thru January.
regards,

grayfox
grayfox
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting