Could be moving to New Mexico, how is the duck hunting

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

Could be moving to New Mexico, how is the duck hunting

Postby Old Man » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:09 pm

My wife has gotten a job offer in Albuguerque, that may be too good for her to pass up, so we may be making the move. Currently we live in Houston, Tx, and I have enjoyed great duck hunting along the coast. How is the duck hunting in NM? Do yall hunt rivers, lakes or what? Is there much public land available for duck hunting? Is there a certain part of the state that is better? Any general info would be great!
Thanks
Old Man
hunter

Postby Ex-Cajun » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:49 pm

What your asking here is pretty private information for a duck hunter to just tell a stranger. Probably why you had so many "views" and no replys. I'll say this. If you go where the ducks wanna be on a given day of hunting, you will find the ducks. I've reached my limit of 6 ducks on several days this year and I'm not the best shot by far.
We hunt the Rio Grande mostly and a few of the close-to-home Wildlife Management Areas and seem to do alright. As for what part of the state has the best duck hunting, I've found that it depends on where most of the migration is during whatever time of the season. We don't have as much water as Houston or other parts of the south, so if you find water, chances of ducks being there is better than in your parts. I have only hunted on public land. I did do a hunt last year in Amarillo Tx on some private cattle stock ponds and corn fields and just cleaned house on ducks, geese and a crapload of sandhill cranes.
We (myself and hunting buds) have a good time no matter if we get skunked or limit out. One other thing, if you don't have some heavily insulated waders, your gonna need 'em. We trudge through iced over waters to hunt on some of the colder days. I've gotten cold with 800 thinsulate on some days.
By the way, I've got my house for sale, let me know!
What do you and your wife do for a living?

Good luck and welcome to New Mexico
Ex-Cajun
hunter

Postby Dirt » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:10 am

The hunting here sucks!!!!
If your movin to Burque get a house on the east side of the
river. You wanna live on the white side, not the west side. :eek:
Dirt
hunter

Postby Ex-Cajun » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:48 am

What's up with al that Dirt?
Ex-Cajun
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:10 pm

Dirt, don't like it - leave.

Old Man, Ex Cajun pretty much said it. From the postings, you'll see the general areas that some of us hunt. It is pretty much how much scouting you put in, luck and where the birds are the moment you hunt, not much different from hunting anywhere.

Welcome to New Mexico. BTW, I live on the West Side, in the South Valley. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby Dirt » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:18 pm

Wow, talk about touchy,
Kind of an inside thing I have at work w/a hispanic friend of mine.
He always tells me I live in the North east whites, not heights. What
I was really reffering to was the TRAFFIC. Its no big secret that the
west side and Rio Rancho are a nightmare during rush hour. So dont
anyone get yer panties in a ruffle. Just giving the guy some non hunting related info that I feel he should know. By the way Escopeton I have
Spanish blood flowing through my veins. Does that make you feel
better?
Old Man when and if you move here let me know.
Dirt
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:46 pm

Entonces sabes muy bien cuando ultizar la critica. Solo por el hecho de llevar sangre hispana no te da razon de mal decir que no tienes el menor idea. Y, dudo much en los intenciones en la puesta.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby Dirt » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:49 am

Well, I'm part spanish, phillipino, german etc. yet only speaka da english.
Can anyone translate?
Dirt
hunter

Postby Old Man » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:27 pm

Thanks for the response. I was not looking to do any cyber scouting or get directions to anyone's honey hole, but rather just general info. I was able to get some info on the WMAs from the Fish and Game Dept. web page. Though I have been to NM a few times, my impression was that it would be to dry to hold many ducks, but there seems to be a good many places to hunt.
To answer your question about employment, I am in property management, and my wife is a VP of a utility company. Thanks for the heads up on where to live. She has just gotten back from her 2nd interview with a company in NM and they offered her the position of CEO. However, once the word got out that she was considering leaving her current company, she has recieved 2 other offers. One with a company in Dallas and the other with the Fed Gov. as the Under Secertary of the Dept of Energy. At this piont, she is still undecieded on which offer to take, if any. If we do make the move to NM, I will be needing to find a hunting partner, so you may see me posting for one in the near future.
Thanks again!
Old Man
hunter

Postby Ex-Cajun » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:42 pm

Well if you do decide to come out this way, you'll enjoy the southwest. I live in Placitas, just north of Albuquerque, a nice area to live. And if you buy my house, I'll personally buy all of your shells, provide lunch and take you to all of my "honey holes" and hunt with you from ALL of my blinds! :biggrin:
Ex-Cajun
hunter

Postby hellion » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:05 am

Dirt wrote:Well, I'm part spanish, phillipino, german etc. yet only speaka da english.
Can anyone translate?

He basically called you an idiot.

Old Man - The westside has it's ups and downs, just like hunting you should scope out the different sides and talk to plenty of locals. I guarantee wherever your wife gets her job, if she talks to some people there, several people will commute across the river (regardless of the direction) and can give you ups and downs of that specific commute. Some bridges aren't as bad as others.

Also if you make it out here, I don't have a problem showing you some of the WMA's, let me know if you end up out here and I can show you a few places close to ABQ
hellion
hunter

Postby Neka » Thu May 17, 2007 10:31 pm

I'm neutral,so I will give you an answer,without giving spots away.
I lived in Albuquerque for 10 yrs. I lived in Rio Rancho,Ladera Heights,just off Unser Blvd,and then the NE,near the tram. Placitas is an extremely beautiful area. The Big "I" project was just getting underway when I left,I'm sure it is alot different now.

Waterfowl hunting in New Mexico is a hidden secret! I had very good success in the Central flyway corridor. The Rio Grande can be,and is very hot on good migration seasons. Check out the Bosque Del Apache NWR area if you wanna see tons of snows. You cant hunt the NWR,but you can hunt around on private ranches. Focus on the Eastern corridor of NM,or the Central flyway,basically the NE,CE,and SE. I have had good shoots in the Pacific flyway corridor,but I had better in the later.

I hope you and your wife have a good move if you make the trek. You'll enjoy NM. Its a beautiful state,with good hunting.

If you need anymore insight...PM me...I hunt NM every year for 2 weeks,maybe we can hook up if you move.
You can never start to early...introduction of youth to the outdoors is vital,and must be consistent.
Neka
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:56 pm

Ex-Cajun wrote:Well if you do decide to come out this way, you'll enjoy the southwest. I live in Placitas, just north of Albuquerque, a nice area to live. And if you buy my house, I'll personally buy all of your shells, provide lunch and take you to all of my "honey holes" and hunt with you from ALL of my blinds! :biggrin:

Hey you talkin about your honey holes at La Joya......Ya i heard they are deadly!!!
duckahlr
hunter

Postby Ex-Cajun » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:23 pm

No, the best ones are the golf course ponds at the Isletta Golf Course. You can limit out in about 5 minutes ! ! LOL
Ex-Cajun
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:20 am

ya i've heard the duck hunting is pretty good this time of year !!!
duckahlr
hunter

Postby GW10 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:18 pm

Ex-Cajun wrote:No, the best ones are the golf course ponds at the Isletta Golf Course. You can limit out in about 5 minutes ! ! LOL

You ought to try the Towa Golf Course in Pojoaque. The birds are glowing. It makes night hunts easier :thumbsup:
GW10
hunter

Postby topper60fe » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:04 pm

sorry i got into this so late ..lol....but here is my (not so funny )laugh...move to rio rancho and u can pick the ducks up off the ground at the golf course
topper60fe
hunter

Postby cjc » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:37 pm

or you can look at the pic I just posted and they are not from a golf course
cjc
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting