Homemade boat trailer

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Homemade boat trailer

Postby quackadikt » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:16 am

Anyone here had to register a "homemade" trailer in NM? What does it entail? Looks like I'm going to Texas to buy a boat this weekend and the trailer is registered as a homemade in TX.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Re: Homemade boat trailer

Postby jayclarkie » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:24 am

you have to go get it weighed. where you go to do that....no idea.
Sorry folks, park's closed...
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:51 am

So do you have to have an actual ticket showing the weight, or can you just tell them how much it weighs?
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby jayclarkie » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:57 am

pretty sure you have to have a certificate or printout something...i bought a homemade teardrop, that i have yet to register...and the dude i bought it from said i could go to a truck stop or possibly a scrap yard, have it weighed, and they'd give me a printout to show the DMV...so, while i know this is probably no actual help, hopefully it provides some assistance

:beer:
Sorry folks, park's closed...
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:11 am

Good enough. I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to pull the boat off of the trailer to get an actual weight.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby Back for more » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:45 pm

Just take it to dmv.make sure it has tail lights.dmv will inspect it and register it . They'll issue a temp tag for you to transport it for inspection.also put your initials or identifying mark somewhere in case it gets stolen it can be entered into ncic.serves as a vin basically
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:31 pm

I imagine this thing will have an actual serial # on it somewhere. It was a trailer that the guy boat without a title in Texas. He just had it registered as a homemade since there was no way to find a title.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby Back for more » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:12 pm

We'll if it has a serial number they will find it .that would mean its not homemade .just file for new title and tell your the new owner.tell them the owner had lost the title. Have you ran it to make sure it's not stolen ?
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:03 pm

Not stolen. Talked to MVD today and got everything straight I think. Doesn't sound too hard, other than the PIA taking the boat off the trailer to get a weight ticket for it.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby jikol » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:01 am

I had to register a home made trailer in Socorro. I just took it to the dump to get it weighed (cost $5).
jikol
Newb

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting