Chesapeake or German short hair

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Chesapeake or German short hair

Postby jayclarkie » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:22 pm

Yeah, along with ZERO grammar or reading comprehension skills...the thought of you rearing the next generation sends chills down my spine. You're all over the place buddy. Flame on barney, flame on.
Last edited by jayclarkie on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry folks, park's closed...
jayclarkie
hunter

Re: Chesapeake or German short hair

Postby Nasty Boy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:25 pm

Yes. I do have worry about you. You keep playing dumb with this matter when it is serious. Not a laughing matter.
Nasty Boy
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:36 pm

Well I finally figured out how to block someone on this forum. Thank goodness. Sorry that your thread got dicked up BFM. Like I said, if you're serious about finding a good Chessie, or any of the other breeds listed, shoot me a PM. I'll be happy to drop some kennel names your way.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby Nasty Boy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:39 pm

I guess i will have to hire an investigator to look into this matter with you Quack a dic. No joke either.
Nasty Boy
hunter

Postby jayclarkie » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:29 am

quackadikt wrote:Well I finally figured out how to block someone on this forum. Thank goodness.

No way, the entertainment factor is through the roof!
Last edited by jayclarkie on Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:18 am

There's plenty of entertainment left without him and all his personalities.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby jayclarkie » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:27 am

Lord knows there's plenty of 'em. We've only seen three or four, but im sure there's a handful waiting to emerge.
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby mr drake » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:41 am

I have owned a number of both

Best dog i have ever trained was a lab shorthair cross

Don't know that i would recommend one due to hip issues.

Chessies are hard headed but very loyal and great duck dogs with attitude...would recommend getting one from grizzly island area of California

Shorthairs do make decent fair weather duck dogs but do not handle cold very well

Some of my chessies did point but never as good as a pointer.

Currently i use a chocolate male lab that i would like to breed for a pup

If not i will be going back to a chessie...harder to train but worth the effort.
mr drake
hunter

Postby KHerbst » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:40 pm

Labs are hard to beat. Growing up in the MW there were hunt tests and trials every weekend within 1 hr of my house. All were dominated by Labs. However some of my friends who were die hard big lake hunters switched to Chessies.

When self trained....following traditional retriever training that produced multiple SH and MH titles for the same guy. He struggled with training his Ches.

Stubborn like a Ches himself, he stayed the course...only sent his dog off to be trained folks who work exclusively with Chessies. Turned out a MH one of the best dogs I ever hunted over. But don't be fooled they are not labs.

Final point....Chessies are great dogs...be prepared to change your training to suite the dog you purchase.

Good luck-

KLH
KHerbst
hunter

Postby PeterJarmo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:07 am

I'm not in a position to get/train a dog for another year or two but its still something to think about... I'm leaning towards a black lab based on my experience hunting over them and I like their general temperament around kids/ppl etc.

Anybody have experience using black labs on upland game? (do they find 'em, point, hold, flush, etc.)

Any thoughts on what gender is better in a hunting dog?

Im not new to dogs, just new to hunting dogs. I want to wait until I really have the time to train one myself and take it out into the field consistently and properly, but want to start researching now. Thanks for any tips.
PeterJarmo
hunter

Postby KHerbst » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:12 pm

Peter....

I started with a BLM in 1980- he was great on Pheasants and fowl. Not great on quail as a 85 lb dog lacked the endurance of our German Short Hairs. Have used labs on pheasants for years work great just challenged hunting long days.

As for gender, my current pup is YLF. I found that she was much easier to train and nearly 60 days ahead on the training calendar from my last 2 male labs. Might just be this dog...but have heard females are easier and pick up training quicker.

Good luck

KLH
KHerbst
hunter

Postby PeterJarmo » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:17 am

Thanks for the info KLH. I'm leaning towards a black lab female when I know I can commit to a real training regiment. A couple yrs ago when i first started waterfowling I got a "black lab pup" from the pound which I was hoping would be a hunting dog but she ended up being more of a whippet than anything; loves to chase rabbits and can get damn close to getting them but still not much of a hunting dog; although a great dog anyhow. In short I learned it pays to get a bred hunting dog from a reliable source after hunting over some other real hunting dogs...
PeterJarmo
hunter

Previous

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting