Rice Breast

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

Rice Breast

Postby STICKLER » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:24 pm

Anybody seeing a lot of birds with it this season. I found 4 Mallards with it so far YUCK! It almost seems like I've seen more some years than others. I never saw it until about 7yrs in to waterfowl hunting and never new what it was until the internet came out. Just curious what you guys are coming across?
Carpe Diem
STICKLER
hunter

Re: Rice Breast

Postby Back for more » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:29 pm

Very common in shoveler.haven't seen it yet this year thank God. I thought they were worms
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter

Rice Breast

Postby jayclarkie » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:33 pm

I've got probably 4 mallards with it so far this season.
Last edited by jayclarkie on Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry folks, park's closed...
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby fowlplay56 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:36 pm

I got three in one day and not another since....all were widgeon
fowlplay56
hunter

Postby jrabq » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Some years I see it in about 5% of the ducks I shoot, but this year not a single one, yet.
jrabq
hunter

Postby jayclarkie » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:51 am

Is Sarcocystis a threat to me or my animals?

Sarcocystis found in waterfowl presents no known hazard to humans ands is not known to be transmitted to humans. Proper cooking destroys all forms of the parasite; however, hunters usually discard unappetizing carcasses containing large visible cysts. Other species of Sarcocystis (S. hominis, S. porcihominus) infect cattle and pigs, respectively, and can be transmitted to humans who eat undercooked meat. Dogs can be the primary host for at least seven species of Sarcocystis, with elk, mule deer, cattle, horses, pigs and sheep acting as secondary hosts; but infection does not cause disease in dogs or other domestic animals. Sarcocystis species commonly found in waterfowl have not been shown to infect dogs or other domestic animals. However, because dogs are susceptible to at least some species of Sarcocystis, we don't recommend feeding uncooked infected waterfowl to domestic animals. Remember, if you cook the meat, you kill the parasite.

NOTE: This paper was produced by the National Wildlife Health Research Center, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in cooperation with the University of Wisconsin-Cooperative Extension.

what do y'all think?
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:55 am

I think I'd have to be a hungry SOB to eat a bird with rice breast. I feed them to the coyotes. I hate doing it, but I'm not chancing it.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby jayclarkie » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:59 am

agreed. i'm sure physiologically, i'd survive...but mentally, it'd be hard to stomach!
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:27 am

Wurd...kind of like eating squirrels before the first hard frost. I don't know how many of you from NM have killed squirrels before a hard frost or if it's even an issue out here, but they'll have some nasty parastites themselves. They say that you're fine to eat them with those nasty things, but I haven't been that hungry yet.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby STICKLER » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:15 pm

If some of you pluck your ducks and noticed after cooking that it's overly tender, this may be why....
Carpe Diem
STICKLER
hunter

Postby Golf7826 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:31 pm

I got buffalo head with it a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Golf7826
hunter

Postby Golf7826 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:37 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Golf7826
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting