Out of the ordinary

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

Out of the ordinary

Postby Ex-Cajun » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:32 pm

I know this is out of the ordinary, but since most of you hunt other things besides waterfowl, I'd ask you guys first.
Anyone have a line on a good area to hunt bear with a bow? I'm not talking about your local picnic ground where you saw a bear in the trash can, but where someone can really hunt one. Doesn't have to be trophy size or anything exotic looking. Just want to get one from New Mexico before I ever move from here.

Thanks in advance.
Ex-Cajun
hunter

Postby ghostingrey » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:45 am

I've never seriously looked at the regs for bear hunting here but I'm pretty sure they're all classified as population reduction hunts. The Gila NF is supposed to be fairly good for bear and I know portions of the Pecos wilderness are open to bear hunting. Doesn't seem like there's a lot of bear hunters out here so your odds of getting drawn are probably pretty good.
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Postby Escopeton » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:07 am

Ex-Cajun,

One place I can reccomend is Colin Neblett Wildlife area. I run into bears all the time there. Unfortunately, the deadline for the draw has way long pasted. The hunt takes place early, too. Late August, or something like that.
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby Minnesota Boy » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:07 pm

Im not sure if there is a season where I saw the bears I saw, but I saw several south of Grants in the Zunis. I think youre going to have to do a lot of spotting and stalking.
Minnesota Boy
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting