Access. What do we do?

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, quackadikt, ghostingrey

Access. What do we do?

Postby willkess » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:36 am

Was reading mr drake's comments on another thread about opening the areas in Bosque del Apache to hunting and was thinking about hunting access on the Rio Grande.

1) Recently up in PB, the MRGCD closed the bosque Sun-Thurs. After talking to a few people it turns out there was some argument between some MRGCD workers and some duck hunters and that is what caused the closure. I have no idea the nature of the disagreement but, the response seems heavy handed and I hope that it is not something that carries over to next year. It's really nice to take a morning off work and get out there during the week when its less crowded.

2) Up by Santa Fe at the end of Buckman Road there is some project to turn that river access into some kind of picnic area and a lot of no shooting signs have cropped up around the river near the end of the road. I haven't done much hunting up there but know people who have. It looks like that area will be off limits soon. I think the ownership is Forest Service.

I haven't dealt with MRGCD except for buying a key or the Forest Service, so I'm wondering how we can lobby for more access and have an impact.

I would appreciate any comments.
willkess
hunter

Re: Access. What do we do?

Postby quackadikt » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:57 am

There really, REALLY needs to be a state-level organization for duck hunters in this state and this is a prime example as to why. As few of us as there are, we need to try to be as strong(and as couth) as possible. Something like the California's CWA. Our voices are way too weak as individuals. Granted not everyone thinks the same exact way, but with an organization to try to help us out, the majority could be heard and MAYBE, JUST MAYBE we could make some headway in NM.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:51 pm

Wait just one minute, an "argument between MRGCD and some duck hunters" Nasty Boy where have you been shooting those Woodies?
I know your partner in crime is hunting deer in 2B right now, hmmm
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby Dirt » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:51 pm

quackadikt wrote:There really, REALLY needs to be a state-level organization for duck hunters in this state and this is a prime example as to why. As few of us as there are, we need to try to be as strong(and as couth) as possible. Something like the California's CWA. Our voices are way too weak as individuals. Granted not everyone thinks the same exact way, but with an organization to try to help us out, the majority could be heard and MAYBE, JUST MAYBE we could make some headway in NM.

This is what needs to happen. :thumbsup:
Need a good eloquent speaker to cut through the bs.
Too many hot heads around here. Myself included
Dirt
hunter

Postby NastyBoy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:31 am

Blackfoot Inc wrote:Wait just one minute, an "argument between MRGCD and some duck hunters" Nasty Boy where have you been shooting those Woodies?
I know your partner in crime is hunting deer in 2B right now, hmmm

NastyBoy
Newb

Postby willkess » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:01 pm

quackadikt wrote:There really, REALLY needs to be a state-level organization for duck hunters in this state and this is a prime example as to why. As few of us as there are, we need to try to be as strong(and as couth) as possible. Something like the California's CWA. Our voices are way too weak as individuals. Granted not everyone thinks the same exact way, but with an organization to try to help us out, the majority could be heard and MAYBE, JUST MAYBE we could make some headway in NM.

Agreed. We need to at least assemble a list of issues to work on.
willkess
hunter

Postby STICKLER » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:31 pm

Over the past 10yrs or so, a lot of improvements have been made to several public refuges in the land of enchantment. West portion Bernardo used to be 40% or more choked with cattails and was forcing hunters closer to each other, not the case now! East portion Bernardo was a tiny pond on the southern end with some marsh extending north forcing hunters to hunt elbow to elbow, not the case anymore also due to new dikes were created so more ponds are abundant further towards US 60. La Joya also got its dose of improvements with more ponds created on the southern tail of the complex and cattail removal to the north. Somebody has already spoken with a loud voice and that must continue. Anybody on this forum, who remembers when lead shot was still legal anywhere but refuges probably knows what I'm writing about.
Carpe Diem
STICKLER
hunter

Postby StevenL » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:39 pm

MRGCD Public Access Area In Pena Blanca Closed Weekdays
MRGCD lands, west of Leyba Road in Pena Blanca, will be CLOSED to visitors and hunters, Monday thru Friday beginning Monday, December 2, 2013 until further notice.

A restoration project is ongoing in the area and for the protection of MRGCD employees and hired workers, the area is now closed to all weekday activity, including hunting and fishing.

"To ensure that everyone is safe in this area, anyone with a Bosque Access Permit now has restricted use t o weekends only." says MRGCD Chief Engineer Subhas Shah.

Questions regarding this temporary closure should be directed to the MRGCD General Offices at 505-247-0234.

We're supposed to know. It's no one else's problem but our own. If MRGCD decides to lock the gates, just like in cases of extreme fire danger, they should and they do. But if any hunter hasn't the where with all to find out about conditions and/or restrictions prior to the hunt and the area to be hunted, too bad. At that point in time it's not about the second amendment rights, it's about a civic duty to comply with authority and our responsibility.
StevenL
hunter

Postby willkess » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:51 am

Point taken, but, if there was a dialogue maybe we could have convinced them to wait a week or two till after the season. Obviously hunting is low on the MRGCD totem pole, but its worth a call. This year was the first time I'd seen it closed during the season and next season it might be worth a phone call to see if they are planning on closing it next year during the season.
willkess
hunter

Postby graysonwyatt » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:33 pm

Anybody know the weekday status of pb?
graysonwyatt
hunter

Postby StevenL » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:36 pm

graysonwyatt wrote:Anybody know the weekday status of pb?

Call the MRGCD office in Pena Blanca.
There's still a clear-cutting operation in progress. It was shut down during summer months because of high temperatures and what I have been told is that inmates from the Sandoval County Jail are the one's who have been doing all the work on a voluntary basis -perhaps as a means to shorten sentences or just because they'd rather clear brush than clean commodes.
StevenL
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting