scouting puddlers

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

scouting puddlers

Postby flatiron » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:08 am

I am just getting into hunting waterfowl in New Mexico. I live and work in Santa Fe, so the two places I have been looking at are McAllister Lake and the Bernardo Area.

It seems that Bernardo is the place to go once they flood the ponds out there, and McAllister seems like a good location, but I haven't heard any details about them at all. Anyone care to share just the basics?
Thanks
flatiron
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:25 pm

There has been like 15 people look at this and no replies. First of all good luck getting any info on hunting spots..most people keep a pretty tight lip. i will say Mcallister is damn good though and not too many people go there. bernardo is probably the best in the state but with alot of hunters. They do have some water now and they sure have the ducks. I will tell you that most people go south or east...me on the other hand hunt mostly on the western part of the state. you just have to take a day scouting and you'll find them. it's about the same drive time as going South..just less hunters...and better working ducks. Good luck.
duckahlr
hunter

Postby flatiron » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:05 am

Thanks for the advice, I've had a hard time even getting the NMGF offices to even tell me where I am allowed to hunt. The state failed to put water in McAllister this year and killed the lake, but some ducks/geese still using it. Its very low and stinks to high heaven. We each (2) took a pair of mallards.
flatiron
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting