2013-2014 favorite pictures

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: ghostingrey, randy marci, quackadikt

2013-2014 favorite pictures

Postby quackadikt » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:01 pm

Post up a couple of your favorite from this past season.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Re: 2013-2014 favorite pictures

Postby jayclarkie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:46 pm

love it QA....that's a good looking pooch...
Attachments
photo 5.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 2b.jpg
Sorry folks, park's closed...
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:13 pm

Thanks man, yours ain't too shabby either.

Never seen a goat-selfie before :lol3: Where'd you get lucky and kill one of those?

Love that third picture...and the roosters. I really want to find some to put my mutt on. I think she'd be a pretty jam up pheasant dog.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby jayclarkie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:21 pm

that was over by Clayton...my brother, my dad and I get private land tags every year...the roosters were from South Dakota, which for you, would only be about a 24 hour drive :grooving: you should check it out, tons of walk-in public land, and i'm sure your girl would be a natural...it's in her blood!
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:45 pm

my brother, my dad and I get private land tags every year

Must be nice.

I've been thinking about heading over to the Liberal, KS area if the bird #s ever pick back up. It wouldn't be but about an 8-9hr drive, but I've heard the #s have been real bad lately. The problem with going to NoDak/SoDak, is I don't have a field setup. And I damn sure want to shoot some ducks in the fields while I'm there. I guess I could just be a low-life and shoot them in potholes though :yes: . That's a trip that I've been wanting to make forever and ever, but I've never found anyone that wants to go along. If I could get a group of guys together that would want to, I'd go every year up there for about a week.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby jayclarkie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:11 pm

it is, trust me :biggrin:
SD is a lottery on the waterfowl, and no one in our group got drawn...but...the place we usually go is right by the border, so we bought ND licenses and hit up some walk-in spots in the am, since you can't shoot pheasants until noon opening week in SD. never bought waterfowl licenses in ND just because we were already hauling so much crap, that we didn't have room for decoys, etc. that's all gonna change this year though, since i picked up a trailer. we found lots of good water on public land that was loaded with ducks, and never saw a single duck hunter...hell, we may even get drawn for waterfowl in SD, ya never know.
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:26 pm

I've heard that it's pretty hard to not get drawn for that waterfowl lottery though. I believe that the draw rate is upwards of 90% in most areas, but I could be wrong.

If y'all need another person to help out with hauling all that crap and split room/food/beer with, just let me know. I've got plenty of room for a couple dozen decoys and layouts, plus I've got a dog to help share the duties...just sayin'.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby jayclarkie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:36 pm

that's what we thought, which is why we were so surprised we didn't get drawn. this year we're going to put in as a group, which i hear helps your odds...plus, now i have a preference point! i'll let you know, last year we had a dude cancel so you would have had a spot! i think we're going the third or second week of the season this year...last year was rough, the hatch was only 60% of the previous year, and none of the corn had been cut due to all the rain. we scraped out some birds, but we had to work our arses off for 'em!
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:48 pm

we scraped out some birds, but we had to work our arses off for 'em!

I can do some serious walking on flat ground and at a decent elevation...

Why not just drive a couple more hours and hunt Nodak the whole time? Then you don't have to worry about drawing a license, or buying one for two different states.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby jayclarkie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:58 pm

In years past that's what we did, but the guy we were leasing from is a flake, so we decided to switch it up. We may actually do ND instead this year, if we can nail down the whole lease thing.
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby jayclarkie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:08 pm

We figured, best case scenario, we could get twice the birds...ND birds in the am, SD birds in the pm. Of course the bad hatch and crappy weather put the kibosh on that plan...
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:09 pm

Ahh...I didn't even realize folks leased land out there. I figurerd they just hunted PLOTS land and walk-in stuff or knocked on doors.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby jayclarkie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:18 pm

A lot do just that, plus, every cafe, convenience store, etc. has multiple flyers for day hunts. It'd be easy just to freestyle it. We've hunted the same ranch for the last few years, not including last year, so it was nice knowing where the birds liked to be and where all we could go.
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby STICKLER » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:28 pm

Looks good Boys! Like the lip shots on that strap of greenies quack...
Carpe Diem
STICKLER
hunter

Postby TexasMallard10 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:44 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
TexasMallard10
hunter

Postby TexasMallard10 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:47 pm

I wish I could post videos but they reveal a little too much ;)
TexasMallard10
hunter

Postby Back for more » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:34 am

TexasMallard10 wrote:I wish I could post videos but they reveal a little too much ;)

Don't do it haha , not worth it :fingerhead:

Hey man one of you guys better be ready to fly on that plane with me to scout next season man . Or better yet just tell me the, locations . I frickin hate flying
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"
Back for more
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:20 am

Any of those from back in Texas? Looks like the one with the redheads and the one with the green grass and the yellow lab could have been.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby TexasMallard10 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:05 am

Yeah the one with the green grass is brenham, tx that's my dogs big brother and the redheads surprisingly are here. BFM I will gladly fly better yet I will see if they will let me hop on one of our training missions flying the river south. Either ways I'm down.
TexasMallard10
hunter

Postby STICKLER » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:08 am

TexasMallard10 wrote:I wish I could post videos but they reveal a little too much ;)

Ditto....I have some good gopro footage I don't wan't to share with the world due to location give away right quakadikt?
Carpe Diem
STICKLER
hunter

Postby STICKLER » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:12 am

I like that Common Merg you got TM10....not for eating, but nothing wrong with a mount on the wall.
Carpe Diem
STICKLER
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:52 am

That whole part of Texas is a pretty place. And if you have access to a good tank, the hunting can be pretty nice too.

That's right Stickler. Just keep it to yourself :biggrin:

I think I'm going to try to film a few hunts next year. The wife got a nice little Sony Handycam that shoots in HD from work, so I might steal it and see how it works on hunts.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby TexasMallard10 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:15 am

Stick definitely not an eating bird, QA my buddy owns a 10 acre tank about 10 miles from lake Summerville hasn't been hunted ever, let's just say it was epic, and then shooting a limit of dove after your done with duck. But I will have to say when my enlistment is up it will be hard leaving the duck hunting here in new mexico
TexasMallard10
hunter

Postby jayclarkie » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:23 am

TexasMallard10 wrote:...let's just say it was epic, and then shooting a limit of dove after your done with duck.

Now that sounds like a good time!
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:28 am

TexasMallard10 wrote:Stick definitely not an eating bird, QA my buddy owns a 10 acre tank about 10 miles from lake Summerville hasn't been hunted ever, let's just say it was epic, and then shooting a limit of dove after your done with duck. But I will have to say when my enlistment is up it will be hard leaving the duck hunting here in new mexico

I hunted Sommerville a good bit when we lived there. Ol' Flag Pond can be REAL good if you catch it right. I don't know if you like to shoot snipe, but the snipe hunting on Sommerville is frickin' awesome. Especially if it's low. Where's your buddies tank?
quackadikt
State Moderator

Next

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting