Quality Waters Cleanup

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

Quality Waters Cleanup

Postby jayclarkie » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:42 am

Calling all San Juan County Waterfowlers!!!

The San Juan County chapter of Ducks Unlimited will be hosting a cleanup effort on the Quality Waters section of the San Juan River on Saturday, April 5. We will be meeting at the Texas Hole parking area at 9:00, and picking up trash along the river until around noon. The number of waterfowlers in the area has nearly doubled this year over last, and unfortunately, most of these new hunters don't realize that empty shells are in fact, trash. The Quality Waters are a valuable resource, and it is important for us as waterfowlers to let the community at large know that we appreciate the privilege of hunting there. Complaints by fly fisherman regarding empty shells, and trash in general, left primarily by duck hunters have skyrocketed this year, causing the Game and Fish, as well as the Parks Department, to take notice. If we aren't proactive in letting people know how much we, as avid waterfowlers, value our hunting grounds, then we may lose access to this section of the river. Let's all pitch in, and show everyone how important conservation really is! For more information, please PM me, and I'll fill you in on any additional details I may have left out.

jc.
Sorry folks, park's closed...
jayclarkie
hunter

Re: Quality Waters Cleanup

Postby quackadikt » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:20 am

I would do my damndest to make that trip, but I'm going to be in the Lincoln that weekend. Hopefully y'all have a strong turn out. I still haven't heard a word from anyone about a clean-up at the Butte...
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby jayclarkie » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:47 am

thanks QA, i was hoping that would be enough notice for ya, but oh well. yeah, if we can get 20 or so people to show up, it'll be well worth it, and actually make an impact. it's public land, so obviously the trash situation gets out of hand real quick.
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:55 am

If it weren't for already having plans to be in the mts, I would have made it up there.

I know what you mean about trash on public lands. It's pretty bad down here too. Good luck with it and let us know what kind of turnout y'all have.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby Splatt » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:58 am

We'll see if the wife and I can make it.
Splatt
hunter

Postby jayclarkie » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:23 pm

We'd love to have ya Mark, every set of hands will sure help out a lot.
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby jayclarkie » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:38 am

just an FYI for anyone that is wanting to come help out, we will be meeting at the MUNOZ parking area instead. Again, we will be meeting at the MUNOZ parking lot, Saturday, April 5 at 9:00. Bring your waders, and let's bag us some trash!
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby Bohdichaka » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:01 pm

Sorry partner, would love to come and help out but being in Las Cruces there is little chance. I am heading up in August after some work training to have a fishing trip. I will be sure to pick up as much as I can while fly fishing. Did not know they allowed waterfowl hunting in that area.
Rookie waterfowler, been duck hunting three times but love every minute
Bohdichaka
hunter

Postby jayclarkie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:28 am

This weekend! Come on out and lend a hand...
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby jayclarkie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:25 am

We got a little press! Naturally, they got my phone number wrong, but it's better than nothing...

http://www.daily-times.com/news/ci_2547 ... n-saturday
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:06 am

:thumbsup:

Hope a bunch of folks show up and help out. Sorry I can't make it.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby jayclarkie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:10 am

me too...i'm not really getting my hopes up, but if we can get at least 20 people, then it'll be a success. you'll have to get up here once the fishes start hitting, and take a cruise in the new rig.
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:26 am

Can do.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby Splatt » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:53 pm

Im in Odessa, TX.
Splatt
hunter

Quality Waters Cleanup

Postby jayclarkie » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:12 pm

Had about 15 people show up, probably averaged 20-30 lbs of trash per person...picked up about 50-75 empty shells per person. Tons of fisherman trash as well, pretty amazing and sad that all that is from maybe 4-5 miles of river. Thanks to those that came out, tentative plans for round 2 are in the works. Definitely a successful outing.
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:51 pm

Glad to hear it went pretty good. Hopefully it'll work out so I can get up there for the next pick-up.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting