I'm depressed.....

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

I'm depressed.....

Postby Splatt » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:41 am

I'm up at this hour getting dressed for work instead of hunting.
Lately, I've been watching the fields get turned over, the temperatures getting warmer, and the lack of birds.

Summer is coming with it's stinking heat.
Its gonna be a long hot, dry one.
Gear, decoys, guns, and blinds, have been cleaned, and put away.
Lists have been made for new stuff.

Now to just make it til September.

Trap and I have hunt tests to run, training to be done, and fish to catch.

At least I have my big game hunting apps in.
Splatt
hunter

Re: I'm depressed.....

Postby jrabq » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:20 am

Feb-Mar are depressing for me too, usually not much to do. By April I can usually start fishing on the rare days the wind isn't blowing. Spending time right now going over big-game application strategies, and catching up on some chores neglected the other 10 months of the year. Might try some amateur duck taxidermy again this week. And elk season is just over 5 months away, so life is still good. :smile:
jrabq
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:43 am

jrabq wrote:...and catching up on some chores neglected the other 10 months of the year.

This, turkey hunting, and fishing are what I've got on my agenda for the next 5 months.

I'm not even putting in for any big game tags this year. I've gotten lucky and drawn two archery elk tags and deer tags the last 2 years...I really like elk hunting. A lot. But I only get so many days off a year and an elk hunt takes 1/3 of those days. I haven't gotten to shoot doves or chase ducks like I've wanted to the last two years because of big game, so I'm going to put big game on the back burner for the next couple of years and chase things with feathers.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby TexasMallard10 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:54 pm

I will be working on my truck, fishing, frog giggin, tailgate drinking, and saving as much money as possible so I can blow it next duck season.
TexasMallard10
hunter

Postby jayclarkie » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:19 pm

I'll be tinkering with my new toy for the next couple of months...
Sorry folks, park's closed...
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:24 pm

I think we need to meet at a halfway lake and break it in with cold beer and catfish one weekend...
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby Back for more » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:46 pm

TexasMallard10 wrote:I will be working on my truck, fishing, frog giggin, tailgate drinking, and saving as much money as possible so I can blow it next duck season.

:sniper: :tongue:
:beer: :help:
:scooter: mud boggin

Hell Ya , just need to add some colt Ford coming out the kickers
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter

Postby TexasMallard10 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:07 pm

Colt ford ain't new to my speakers
TexasMallard10
hunter

Postby STICKLER » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:20 am

I used to get a knot in my throat on the last day of the season, from watching the sunset knowing that it's officially over when the last piece of sun disappears. Don't really get that way anymore...

This offseason, I am occupied training my BLM pup "Turbo", scouring the web for deals on hunting equipment, and plan on doing some fishing back in the LOE(505) and here in DFW. You guys in NM are lucky to have so many Trout fishing areas...I'm jealous!
Carpe Diem
STICKLER
hunter

Postby TexasMallard10 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:56 am

I would rather have my Texas bass lakes back screw some trout.
TexasMallard10
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:54 am

STICKLER wrote:You guys in NM are lucky to have so many Trout fishing areas...I'm jealous!

They do me about as much good as the coast does for you...

I'd rather be on a salt water flat waist deep in water myself, but I'd be happy enough with a trout stream that I could day trip to.

TM, you should head south man. The Butte isn't a good Texas lake, but I've only fished it a few times and caught my fair share of bass every time. And smallies > bucketmouths.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby STICKLER » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:17 am

TexasMallard10 wrote:I would rather have my Texas bass lakes back screw some trout.

Shoot I've caught so many of them greenfish since I was a kid, they just don't do it for me anymore. Here's my order of favorite fish to catch: Catfish including Channels/Blues/Flatties, salmonids of any kind, Walleye which are a difficult fish to catch but I'm learning, Crappie and White Bass or Sandies as they are known in the south.
Carpe Diem
STICKLER
hunter

Postby TexasMallard10 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:28 am

Stick I hear ya man I have been fishing bass since I could walk but it never get old. The only trout I enjoy catching is the ones that smash a top water lure in waist deep water with the occasional red mixed in. My only problem here in NM is every where is farther than a day trip from Abq to do any real fishing.
TexasMallard10
hunter

Postby TexasMallard10 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:38 am

ImageImageImageImage
TexasMallard10
hunter

Postby STICKLER » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:42 am

TexasMallard10 wrote:Stick I hear ya man I have been fishing bass since I could walk but it never get old. The only trout I enjoy catching is the ones that smash a top water lure in waist deep water with the occasional red mixed in. My only problem here in NM is every where is farther than a day trip from Abq to do any real fishing.

I've heard that catching specs and reds are a hoot. Might have to shoot down to the coast and give it a shot sometime.
Carpe Diem
STICKLER
hunter

Postby TexasMallard10 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:51 am

The top water action is like nothing I have ever experienced and being on the coast there is no telling what you will catch.
TexasMallard10
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:31 am

Reds and specs are friggin awesome. Nothing can smash a topwater lure like a red, and IMO the only thing that fights like a red is a striper. You really should make a trip or two Stickler.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby TexasMallard10 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:35 pm

TexasMallard10
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting