Hope I've done MY job.....

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Hope I've done MY job.....

Postby Splatt » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:07 pm

Signing up Trap tomorrow for 2 senior hunt tests being held up here on quality waters April 26&27.
I blew his first one due to handler error. Passed his second, and now going for his 2nd and 3rd passes.
Sure hope I don't make a forehead mistake again!
Splatt
hunter

Re: Hope I've done MY job.....

Postby jayclarkie » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:23 am

Good luck! Remember, if he brings back what you shoot, you've already won.
Sorry folks, park's closed...
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:43 am

Good luck to both of you. What happened on his first one?
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby Splatt » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:19 am

I am a hunter first and doggie gamer second. I don't know all the rules.
His first bird was a walk up.
Walk to the line with gun, bird gets launched and a shot goes off. You have to point the gun that direction. Trap follows the gun.
I shoulda been watching him and just pointed the gun in that direction, but I didn't.
He didn't see it. First was a memory bird.
Now you turn, and second bird is a live shot flyer. Judge says "dog or your number" and then you can tell your dog to go. Usually dogs are sent when you say there name.
He gets the flyer, delivers to hand, and Im already lined up on the walk up memory bird. Say his name and he runs about 3/4 of the way and pops. He didn't know what he was going for. He pops occasionally, but then turns and continues when I don't direct him.
He started hunting and left the area and went back to the flyer fall area.
I thought it was a marking test and didn't know I could have whistled him and then give him a hand signal of where to go.

I failed him......

My fault.
Splatt
hunter

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:01 pm

Splatt wrote:I am a hunter first and doggie gamer second. I don't know all the rules.
His first bird was a walk up.
Walk to the line with gun, bird gets launched and a shot goes off. You have to point the gun that direction. Trap follows the gun.
I shoulda been watching him and just pointed the gun in that direction, but I didn't.
He didn't see it. First was a memory bird.
Now you turn, and second bird is a live shot flyer. Judge says "dog or your number" and then you can tell your dog to go. Usually dogs are sent when you say there name.
He gets the flyer, delivers to hand, and Im already lined up on the walk up memory bird. Say his name and he runs about 3/4 of the way and pops. He didn't know what he was going for. He pops occasionally, but then turns and continues when I don't direct him.
He started hunting and left the area and went back to the flyer fall area.
I thought it was a marking test and didn't know I could have whistled him and then give him a hand signal of where to go.

I failed him......

My fault.

Splatt, don't beat yourself up we've all made those type of dog game mistakes. Once on a blind i handled my YLM into the bird boys dead pile :fingerhead: HRC.

Stopped playing AKC when my honor dog (standard Poodle) broke not once, but twice on me, and i was not given the option. We still passed SH though.

Do you know if 4Corners is having a fall test?
I have a 10 month old BLF fire breather I wouldn't mind running her in SH, IMO jr is a waste of time.
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby Splatt » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:13 pm

Trap has 2 seasoned passes from last year.
I ran him in Colorado one weekend.
Grand Mesa NF, is the furthest I've traveled to run.
That was the closest UKC tests.
I don't chase ribbons. Only do it when it's close.

Next AKC tests should be near the end of October.
Splatt
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting