First weekend of the season...

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

First weekend of the season...

Postby hellion » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:53 pm

For me anyway, made it out Saturday morning finally

That's the friends dog with our catch for the morning, only stayed till about 8:30. For a 7 mo old lab, she surprised me, only didn't retrieve two of the 12 you see.
hellion
hunter

Postby randy marci » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:30 pm

good job hellion, is that PB? congrats to your friend on the pup doin all that at 7 mos.
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby hellion » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:06 pm

randy marci wrote:good job hellion, is that PB? congrats to your friend on the pup doin all that at 7 mos.

Yes sir, that is PB...apparently a little to far north. Ran into some guys that wanted to scalp us for our ducks, because we were "on their land" if you catch my drift :eek:
hellion
hunter

Postby Dirt » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:08 pm

Careful up there. I had two buddies that had their shotguns
taken away. They chased me one day w/a rifle.
I still have that shotgun. :shades:
Dirt
hunter

Postby hellion » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:21 am

Dirt wrote:Careful up there. I had two buddies that had their shotguns
taken away. They chased me one day w/a rifle.
I still have that shotgun. :shades:

I know some people that live up there, and said they frequently do that to fishers and hunters a like, the land isn't actually marked anywhere, so they even do it on NMMRGCD land too.

Once they guy started to get hostel we just stood our ground and he backed down real quick and got "friendly". Thought I was gonna have to drop the dekes and reach into my waders for the G19 and spare mags.

Who knows, we may have been on their land, maybe not, either way I wasn't leaving without my gear and my ducks. :thumbsup:
hellion
hunter

Postby Stogie » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:02 pm

Here in the Southern part of NM, the season starts in the Morning.

As to all those in the North of NM and Northern US who get to start hunting duck early. :headbang:
Stogie
hunter

Postby hellion » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:48 pm

Stogie wrote:Here in the Southern part of NM, the season starts in the Morning.

As to all those in the North of NM and Northern US who get to start hunting duck early. :headbang:

Where are you at the roswell/artesia area?
hellion
hunter

Postby Stogie » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:04 pm

hellion wrote:
Stogie wrote:Here in the Southern part of NM, the season starts in the Morning.

Where are you at the roswell/artesia area?

Carlsbad. Hunted 7 Rivers WMA this morning. It was a bit dark when the birds were flying so hard to ID. My first shot was at a Drake mallard and a Hen jumped in front and sacrificed herself. The next flight seemed different so I held off, then they started with a Wheet Wheet Wheet, and I could see the tail,,,,, about 20 pintail in a flock. I did not think they came down this early. That made me wary. I had a couple of BW Teal land in my spread so I let them play Mojo duck for me. As soon as it got light enough to see clearly the birds shut down. Still a bit early I guess.
Stogie
hunter

Postby hellion » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:50 pm

That many pintail already? Wow, I didn't think they'd be down here that early either.

Last year we were seeing pintail about 3 weeks before the pintail season started.
hellion
hunter

Postby Stogie » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:47 pm

The guy I hunt with who has been at it for 40 years did not believe me when I told him either, he thought it might be wood duck, but I don't think they travel in that large a flock?

Anyway: The duck that landed in my decoy spread looked like the one on the right.

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterfowlGallery/99/index.html[/code]
Stogie
hunter

Postby Dirt » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:21 pm

Whats up Stogie, too good to shoot a teal? :lol3:
I've seen large flocks of pintails migrating through the MRGV
during dove season.
Its been slow for me so far. Went out yesterday and today
before work for a couple hours. Coulda had limits of teal but
teal season is over. :wink:
Dirt
hunter

Postby randy marci » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:51 am

dirt, you wanna hunt next week get ahold of me. either here or the other place. i'm free from tuesday thru thursday. gotta few spots i wanna look at or maybe a trip up north mid week if you can escape. can't wait till this moon is gone.
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby Dirt » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:17 pm

I gotta work all week but might be able to go for a few hours
in the morning. If the ducks show up I'd take a day or two
off. I'll pm ya.
Dirt
hunter

Postby Stogie » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:53 pm

Dirt wrote:I gotta work all week but might be able to go for a few hours
in the morning. If the ducks show up I'd take a day or two
off. I'll pm ya.

If the ducks show up send em packing down south and tell them I will be waiting. :biggrin:
Stogie
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:19 pm

Post some pics when you get into them. Hell Bernardo has to be the hottest spot West of the Mississippi........right!!! :no:
duckahlr
hunter

Postby cjc » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:23 pm

What or where is PB. I don't like to get rifles pointed at me. I'll try to avoid this area.
cjc
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:02 am

PB is up North. Just stick to that honey hole Bernardo and you'll be golden. If I lived in Belen I wouldn't travel too far at all. Just sniff around. :huh:
duckahlr
hunter

Postby lindschesapeake » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:34 pm

PB - Pena Blanca, the most worthless NM politican, and there are a bunch in this state, came from PB. That should give you a clue.

On the lighter side-duck population is fair to good through out the state due to the good spring moisture that provided good nesting opportunites. Down side, the good habbit helps the skunks, coyotes and all the other rascals that rob the nests and kill the hens. One of the best measures in nesting efficency is the number of hens that have survived. I've seen a bunch so far.

A good number of local canada's were to be had for the early season up north and to the west. They also have shown a good breeding season.

Now all we need is this indian summer to shut off. And some good butt ugly cold weather.
lindschesapeake
hunter

Postby duckahlr » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:14 pm

All I want is some ugly weather up north. NM is spoiled when it comes to duck hunting. It's pretty nice here. :thumbsup:
duckahlr
hunter

Postby lindschesapeake » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:05 am

Your right, the jet stream needs to move a little to get the weather to change up north. Right now the jet stream is pretty flat along the US & Canada border.

You think we are spoiled now, you should have lived here in the 60's when the farmers managed the river and Canadas were a plenty. The Rio Grande Nature Center (wasn't around then and niether was Cochiti) was our back yard and we would hide our shotguns in the field and take a few geese on our way to school. Come back in the afternoon, clean the birds and if luck was with us we would bag a couple of more.

My best friend when I was a kid actually killed a Canada with his pellet gun shooting from his bedroom window. Yes it was in season and it was before steel shot.

Snow geese were hardly seen and the river would sometimes get as many as 10K of the big guys. The river below where St Pius is was a dunk hunters dream. I helped when I was a kid to trap ducks for the US Wildlife in that area and man was that a blast.

We could wade across the river, some of us didn't have waders, put on a new pair of pants, build a fire to warm up and hunt ducks & quail. Man we had the life of Riley. Oh well living in the past.
lindschesapeake
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting