Duck Hunting Forum banner

Other WMAs

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  flatiron 
#1 ·
I love my location. I am born and raised in Belen. Bernardo and La Joya is great. I am not complaining this is great hunting. I am looking for some new places to hunt duck in New Mexico just out of curiosity. I have heard Tucumcari is not the place to go. Would any one recommend any of the other WMAs in New Mexico or am I just wasting time taking the drive.

#2 ·
:welcome: I've been lookin for new water as well. So far La Joya and Bernardo are still the best despite the crowds. You may want to try some of the larger water holes on the mesa and swampier areas of the river.

If you want a great ride with no crowds on the water you need to try Conchas. My son and I were the only hunters on the lake. Loads of coot and in the distance we could occasionally see some Bufflehead. We saved a fortune on shot :wink:

#3 ·
nmbirder said:
: We saved a fortune on shot :wink:
Sorry if I misunderstand this but this sounds like you saved by not having to buy steel shot.

If this is the case you may want to check your proclamation. (page 6).

Steel or Nontoxic shot is required on all waterfowl hunting statewide.

Not just on WMA.

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/publica ... sgwrib.pdf

#5 ·
nmbirder said:
Thanks Stogie,

You are right. Steel or non-tox is the only option. Our savings were because we didn't have a single duck anywhere near us.

I do not shoot coot and the Buffleheads were way too far off.
Sorry nm, my bad. If you put it that way I have been saving a bunch.

The dropped Brantley 3-4 feet and I could barely get to the area on the WMA that I like to set up. My best blinds areas are under some Salt Cedars. They are now a good hike up the bank.

Bluebird days and very few ducks. 1 per trip is not bad.

#6 ·
Well, McAllister lake WMA was killed by the NMGF this year, intentionally or not not doesn't really matter. But there are still ducks coming in, since its been a regular waterhole for many years. Of course, the whole shore is covered with rotting fish, the water stinks to high heaven, the gate is locked so its a fairly long walk with all your gear, and there isn't any cover within 50 yards of the water. But if duck hunting was easy, it would be fun and everyone would do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.