Bands and what they mean...

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, quackadikt, ghostingrey

Postby STICKLER » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:32 pm

My own experience with getting them is that they give a "shock and awe" feeling upon realizing you actually killed something with a foreign object on a leg. I've had one of mine acid etched because absolutely could not read one of the digits....turns out it was over 11yrs old. I have luckily killed a double banded Mallard drake, $10 dollar reward, that couldn't have been retrieved without a good gun dog due to jump shooting a deep watershed. Also killed 2 hen Mallards with them...both were by mistake I'll admit. Unless you have superior eyesight or a spot that they frequent, you might live a lifetime without seeing one. I will not change my position about "bandless" hunters being lesser than a metal freak. Advice to those who feel like they have to posses the most would be take a metal detector to the refuges with a dog for old sailed birds and have a field day. Check ebay if your confidence needs a dose.
Carpe Diem
STICKLER
hunter

Re: Bands and what they mean...

Postby Nasty Boy X » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:53 pm

Out of all that.........I remembered METAL FREAK :lol3: That's A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

Double band is still on my list........Damn you Stickler...........Congrats on that.............
Nasty Boy X
hunter

Postby STICKLER » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:10 pm

NB, your probable skill out ways any possible defeat. When the salt cedar turn brown and the cottonwoods drop leaves, will be your day of undoing. Until then, what remains to be seen will remain the same. :hi: Not to be a **** or anything, I've had some fun days in the field with you. You're a good chit talker which amuses me.

That time you you bailed me out of getting lost in that sick spot rocks!
Carpe Diem
STICKLER
hunter

Postby Nasty Boy X » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:34 pm

I don't take anything serious now a days. So don't sweat it. Fun times in the field goes a long ways with lots of laughter. That was some thick crap to get lost in. Can easily get turned around right away if not paying attention. Be walking for days being lost. Screaming for help help help lol................ :yes: still hearing your voice as I remembered. :lol3:

I do talk alot of chit. Some people get offended if they dont get to know me. :beer:
Nasty Boy X
hunter

Postby Dirt » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:31 am

Not really any cool band stories here. Did have to dip two mallard bands in muriatic acid to read the #'s. turns out they were only nine years old. Got one 12 year old honker. Seen Herbst get 3 bands on honkers in three shots once. It's always a little deflating when your buds get a bander or banders in front of ya.
So I showed my new girlyfriend my lanyard. First thing out of her mouth was "oh so your like Mr. T huh". I looked at her in like what did you just say. Damn no sh!t I feel like a clown when I wear them. Last year I hung up the lanyard for good. Felt great to not be lugging the jewelry around.

On another note for Anthony. The nice Anthony.
When i heard of Richards passing I was truly saddened. Your father was always a really great man anytime I got to talk to him.
My condolences go out to you.
Dirt
hunter

Postby Back for more » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:21 pm

Bird banding data are useful in both research and management projects. Individual identification of birds makes possible studies of dispersal and migration, behavior and social structure, life-span and survival rate, reproductive success and population growth.

that's what they mean to me
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter

Postby Nasty Boy Xll » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:49 pm

Dirt wrote:Not really any cool band stories here. Did have to dip two mallard bands in muriatic acid to read the #'s. turns out they were only nine years old. Got one 12 year old honker. Seen Herbst get 3 bands on honkers in three shots once. It's always a little deflating when your buds get a bander or banders in front of ya.
So I showed my new girlyfriend my lanyard. First thing out of her mouth was "oh so your like Mr. T huh". I looked at her in like what did you just say. Damn no sh!t I feel like a clown when I wear them. Last year I hung up the lanyard for good. Felt great to not be lugging the jewelry around.

On another note for Anthony. The nice Anthony.
When i heard of Richards passing I was truly saddened. Your father was always a really great man anytime I got to talk to him.
My condolences go out to you.

Hey Mr T................ :lol3: Dont be letting any woman tell you some bull chit like that. The next thing your gonna do is start taking her out with you. I am surprised your letting this all happen. Glad my chic respects my hunting ethics. She will even help pluck some birds with me when I bring them home. I even got her to leg check while plucking and tells me I need to get back in the field if they are bandless :yes:

From the Nice Anthony........I feel ya man. He was my rock. Now he is gone. Still hurts to this day. His day of passing away is coming up on April 13th. I do have to say. He did like you as one of my friends. I do appreciate it. Thank you.
Nasty Boy Xll
Newb

Postby Back for more » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:14 pm

Nasty boy XII :fingerhead: haha DHC is going to get a restaining order

Back for more
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:12 am

And he went from NB X to NB XII...wonder why he skipped XI?
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby STICKLER » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:26 am

quackadikt wrote:And he went from NB X to NB XII...wonder why he skipped XI?

Funny, I wondered the same thing.
Carpe Diem
STICKLER
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:41 am

Nevermind...I figured out why :lol3: .
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby jayclarkie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:50 am

quackadikt wrote:Nevermind...I figured out why :lol3: .

inquiring minds want to know...
Sorry folks, park's closed...
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby randy marci » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:14 pm

I only shoot 400+ elk, 180+ deer, and banded birds. If I wanted meat, I'd go to the store. Filet Mignon is probably 1/10th the cost per lb. of going hunting. I'm a trophy hunter thru and thru. I went an entire season once without shooting a band. It was so disheartening I almost quit. I came to my senses and realized that I'll just try harder next year to make the banders pay. it's on...
this is where all the cool kids put how many ducks they kill
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby jayclarkie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:17 pm

randy marci wrote:Filet Mignon is probably 1/10th the cost per lb. of going hunting.

Ain't that the freaking truth!
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:46 pm

I buy ebay bands if I'm having a rough year.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby Back for more » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:36 pm

Haha speaking of bands . :biggrin:

Found a nice little band that says gotcha !

Boy someone is going to hate me for that prank next season

Back for more
hunter

Postby jayclarkie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:40 pm

quackadikt wrote:I buy ebay bands if I'm having a rough year.

ahhh, so you're the one that keeps outbidding me!
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:45 pm

I've got a full lanyard now, so I'll lay off of them so you can pick a few up.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby STICKLER » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:26 pm

randy marci wrote:I only shoot 400+ elk, 180+ deer, and banded birds. If I wanted meat, I'd go to the store. Filet Mignon is probably 1/10th the cost per lb. of going hunting. I'm a trophy hunter thru and thru. I went an entire season once without shooting a band. It was so disheartening I almost quit. I came to my senses and realized that I'll just try harder next year to make the banders pay. it's on...

So what you're saying is that if you don't get any bands this coming season, you are willing to almost "quit" again? It shouldn't be about bands but rather getting limits of drakes with an occasional hen which has happens to the best of us. If anyone wants to increase their odds, simply hunt more days! Play it like Vegas...the more you bet the better the chance. Shoot, if I would have given up on the sport because of no metal, would have dropped out 3yrs ago.
Carpe Diem
STICKLER
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting