Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby STICKLER » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:50 pm

Hey BFM, I will partially apologize for busting your chops over the Black Duck thing. I could have taken it further, but decided to back off cause you and I almost never "butt heads" over anything. I know other members here have had their differences with you, but I'm not a clanish person and won't be swayed easily. Just keep it real dude and look for the drakes. :thumbsup: Also, if you made an identity mistake thinking you had in fact killed a Black Duck in NM, just say you thought it may have been and nobody should throw you under the bus for that. It isn't easy to identify a Black from a Mex unless you spend the time to know the differences. :smile:
Carpe Diem
User avatar
STICKLER
hunter
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: TX/NM


Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby Back for more » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:18 pm

Sent a Pm Stickler , no big deal man .Let's go ahead and label it BS for the sake of argument. I don't have pics of hardly any ducks shot this last season. I'll put some up next season .

Check this one out from goose season , taken from a mobile phone . pretty close and cool.
Attachments
1.jpg
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: land of entrapment

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby STICKLER » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:57 pm

PM received...pic looks good. Love hearing the sounds of explosive wings followed by the slight delay of screaming birds.
Carpe Diem
User avatar
STICKLER
hunter
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: TX/NM

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby quackadikt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:42 pm

Dang, looks like you were almost close enough to bushwack a few if you took that with a camera phone.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
User avatar
quackadikt
State Moderator
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:06 am
Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby Back for more » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:09 pm

gotta let some live haha , here's some more ross from private land.

Some days bushwacking isn't fun.

NOTE : EDITED TO KEEP FOOLS FROM TRYIYNG TO DO DRIVE BYE'S

also on camera phone. about 50 yards out
Attachments
tn1.jpg
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: land of entrapment

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby Nasty, Boy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:52 pm

vlb wrote:Well one good thing about it all is, we only have one state mod :no:


Human Strain........Nature's way of thinning out the human herd!!!!!!!!

Waterfowl specie harvested would be the dive bombing Redheads. And what I would like to bag is a Collared Snow Goose. :drool:
Attachments
IMAG0626-1.jpg
Nasty, Boy
Newb
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:06 pm

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby Back for more » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:29 pm

Nasty, Boy wrote:
vlb wrote:Well one good thing about it all is, we only have one state mod :no:


Human Strain........Nature's way of thinning out the human herd!!!!!!!!

Waterfowl specie harvested would be the dive bombing Redheads. And what I would like to bag is a Collared Snow Goose. :drool:


Not damn clue what that means but nice redhead . did you get it ?

Here's a few more even closer that got to live as we left from hunting another field.
Attachments
tn.jpg
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: land of entrapment

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby Nasty, Boy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:39 pm

Yes Sir...........Shot him a couple season's ago........Banded in 2011 and flew all the from Malheur NWR, Oregon to the SECRET

SPOT, New MEXICO......
Nasty, Boy
Newb
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:06 pm

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby quackadikt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:41 pm

Back for more wrote:Some days bushwacking isn't fun.


That's the truth. I'd rather just not shoot a duck than have to resort to jump shooting, but I'm weird like that. I'd probably hedgerow some white geese once or twice though.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
User avatar
quackadikt
State Moderator
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:06 am
Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby Back for more » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:42 pm

just for viewing pleasure
Attachments
t.jpg
cinnies
wid.jpg
Eurasian widgeon
wid.jpg (34.87 KiB) Viewed 341 times
tn2.jpg
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: land of entrapment

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby Nasty, Boy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:07 pm

I got this bad boy too.......... :huh:
Attachments
IMAG0108-1-1.jpg
Nasty, Boy
Newb
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:06 pm

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby Back for more » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:41 pm

Hey stickler , since your the bbl expert can you pull up data on Eurasian widgeon and post results here please? I mean I looked but there's no reports . QA--could this be a mythical creature like an American black duck in NM . wait there's a picture of it right above here ???
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: land of entrapment

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby STICKLER » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:01 am

Don't know if I entirely trust BBL #'s. I saw a guy shoot a banded Scaup at W.Bern but doesn't show in the search. It could have been the band info was never turned in. Who knows...Like the way you corrected the background on those pics :lol3: That's intelligent! :thumbsup:

N,B :lol3: That Red Head rocks! Never have shot Blonde Duck before...think I would have got both of them mounted. Those Reds can look like a Ringer on cloudy days, making positive ID challenging.
Carpe Diem
User avatar
STICKLER
hunter
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: TX/NM

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby quackadikt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:48 am

Back for more wrote:QA--could this be a mythical creature like an American black duck in NM . wait there's a picture of it right above here ???


A Eurasian in NM happens every year. It's a whole lot more plausible than a Black duck.

plau·si·ble - possibly true : believable or realistic
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
User avatar
quackadikt
State Moderator
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:06 am
Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby Back for more » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:00 am

So stickler your saying you presented evidence from bbl that may in fact be false, to the jury ???? :hammer: you are aware the counts are wrong but still posted it ? what would be the motive behind such a thing? :biggrin:

QA- its all in fun . according to the bbl there's less evidence of a Eurasian widgeon than a black duck ??? :no:
I said i'll let you call it bs until next season when I know i'll kill one then you can label it true :clapping:
Then i'll mail you an 8x10
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: land of entrapment

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby quackadikt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:11 am

Please do. Take good pictures of the wings(the whole wing, shoulders, and speculum), head, and throat for me. That way I can tell you if you're right or not ;)

You know why the numbers show eurasians to be less common, because There are very, very, very few(if any) Eurasians banded. And they're easy to ID...especially compared to a black.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
User avatar
quackadikt
State Moderator
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:06 am
Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby Back for more » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:30 am

If you look at the info stickler posted it's not a banded encounter .It's simply an encounter count ( as in wow I seen a black duck).

Eurasian widgeon reportedly have never even been encountered in the state of NM , look it up.

So with "Eurasian killed every year in NM" stated by you , shouldn't there be encounters listed ? Maybe people didn't report them.

Maybe people encountered black ducks but didn't report it ??

Let me ask a question and hopefully get a true answer. Have you killed a Eurasian widgeon ? have you seen one in the wild and are 100 % it was ?
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: land of entrapment

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby quackadikt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:13 am

You are too feeble minded to debate with sometimes.

The "Encounters Count" is from a band being reported. "Banding counts" are the number of those birds banded. Encounters according to their data, is not, "wow I seen a black duck", as you put it.

Eurasian wigeon have never been "encountered" in NM because a banded one has never been killed in NM. There have been a whopping 38(approximately) of them banded since 1960 and 11 killed/reported(approximately).

And please show me where I said that one is killed every year in NM. I was referring to one being seen in NM every year. Sorry I didn't spell it out for you.

And no, I've never killed a Euro nor have I seen one in person. Wish I had, but just hasn't happened yet.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
User avatar
quackadikt
State Moderator
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:06 am
Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby STICKLER » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:18 am

Back for more wrote:So stickler your saying you presented evidence from bbl that may in fact be false, to the jury ???? :hammer: you are aware the counts are wrong but still posted it ? what would be the motive behind such a thing? :biggrin:

Figured I would be nice and give you the benefit of doubt. The search does pull up how many birds were banded in the state and how many encounters such as killed, found dead, seen alive with all of them wearing bands, neck collars etc.
Carpe Diem
User avatar
STICKLER
hunter
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: TX/NM

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby Back for more » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:36 am


A Eurasian in NM happens every year. It's a whole lot more plausible than a Black duck.

plau·si·ble - possibly true : believable or realistic



I guess happens means seen ? hap·pen intransitive verb (Webster's)

: to take place especially without being planned

: to do or be something by chance


The point I'm making is , you have never seen a Eurasian widgeon or killed one .
A bird that is here in NM but you haven't seen it . So why would you say it is more plausible to see a Eurasian widgeon than black duck ?
I think what bothers me is the criticism ,due to skepticism
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: land of entrapment

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby quackadikt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:54 am

Read that definition that you posted for happens again.

It's not criticism due to skepticism, it's criticism due to biology.

Widgeon are very prominant in the West. The couple of Eurasians that happen to our side of the Pacific are pretty much in the PNW. We get some of our widgeon from the PNW, so it would make perfect sense that a Eurasian would fall in with it's American cousins and potentially end up here.

Black ducks, not so much.

I'm done trying to teach you anything else today. You've exhausted the free lesson.

Please remember to take pictures of these "black ducks" you kill/see killed in NM every year and post them this fall. If you do actually kill a black duck, I'll send you an autographed copy of my autobiography and a T-bone from Omaha Steaks. Scouts honor.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
User avatar
quackadikt
State Moderator
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:06 am
Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Re: Waterfowl species killed and what you would like to bag.

Postby Back for more » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:57 am

quackadikt wrote:Read that definition that you posted for happens again.

If you do actually kill a black duck, I'll send you an autographed copy of my autobiography and a T-bone from Omaha Steaks. Scouts honor.


it better be fresh :biggrin:
well headed out to turkey hunt , have good one
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: land of entrapment

Previous

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests